IGNORED

Seat Height issue

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

What am I doing wrong? I lowered my seat to the lowest setting today, and felt far more comfortable on the bike, especially when i had to put a fut down at lights. It's nice being able to flat food (it sucks being short). However while doing some twisties I could swear the seat felt loose beneath me. Upon parking the bike in my garage and analyzing the problem I discovered that with the height adjuster in the lowest position the riders seat no longer engages the pylon seat and can be lifted right off the bike! Has anyone else run into this problem? How did you fix it?

Pat, I'm running a 2000 R1100rt with the seat set on the lowest setting. The 1st couple of times I tried to re-install the rear seat it didn't egage the mechanism. It was user error. It will engage but you may have to work at it. Give it another try. :)

Make sure you have the two bumpers on the back fully seated in the lowest positions. Easy to miss, and then the seats do not mate up correctly.

Pat Buzzard

Still not mating correctly with back seat. There is too much wobble, the front seat shifts forward and the, "Tongue," disengages from the rear seat. What am I doing wrong/

It really sounds like either the adjuster is not fully seated, or you aren't engaging the passenger seat correctly, and not getting it fully engaged. I'm not sure if the stock seat is this way, but on my aftermarket seat, the loop that goes into the latch has some adjustability, so you may be able to move it, if the fit is too tight to engage the latch. I just went out to the garage to check, and confirmed that I have a stock seat pan, and the metal loop is secured by two socket head cap screws, with what appears to be about 1/4" of vertical adjustment possible.

Mrs. Caddis

Pat, when I first got my bike I had a similar problem. I did not realize that there are 3 positions for the tab to engage in the seat. With the seat in the low position and the 2 bumpers fully down the tab needs to be under tab "box" not in it.

This may sound like a dumb question but did you get the shaft (axle) of the adjuster fully locked into the slots for the lowest position? It might feel a little sloppy if it's not. It might keep the 3 fingers of the back seat from engaging the back of the front seat. I've got a Sargent seat so the configuration may be slightly different.Hope this helps.

Pat, when I first got my bike I had a similar problem. I did not realize that there are 3 positions for the tab to engage in the seat. With the seat in the low position and the 2 bumpers fully down the tab needs to be under tab "box" not in it.

Or to say it another way (with pictures), when the front seat is in the low position, the rear seat actually lays on top of the tab from the front seat. Mine are Sargent seats, but I believe the same basic principal applies to other brands.

When the seats are both on, the tab from the front seat:

pic_2.JPG

should be UNDER the slotted component that is on the rear seat, not IN one of the slots:

pic_1.JPG

Otherwise, as you stated, you can simply pick up the front seat, and it will want to rock a bit because it is not in the correct position.

Hope that helps.

Is it possible that the front seat isn't properly engaging the adjuster bar? The rubber pieces on the ends of the adjuster bar have to slot in to the channel at the front end of the rider's seat.

When I first got my bike I was wondering why the rider's seat didn't latch in, and realized that it was just sitting on top of the rubber pieces on the adjuster bar rather than engaging them in the slot.

Archived