IGNORED

Bad experience

Hedgry

I've had a very sour experience with a certain company and I'd like to share it in the hopes that no one else ends up in the same boat as me. My intent is not to slander but just to warn.

On March 6th I ordered a Spiegler brake line kit from Adventure's Workshop off their online order page. I have a '04 R1150RT and they advertised the kit for that bike for years "2000+"

I promptly received the order which was drop shipped from Spiegler. Great! The first thing I noticed was a sticker on the kit's packaging that stated it was for '00-'02 models. So without further ado, I called Adventure's Workshop to ask about this...got their voicemail. So I fired off an email to the same affect and said I'd like to exchange the unopened kit for the correct one which was the exact same price. Several days went by without any reply. In the meantime I checked Spiegler's website (which I should have done in the first place) and sure enough, they show two kits:

http://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-172.htm year model 2000-2002

http://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-173.htm year model 2003-2006

I called Spiegler to verify this. The guy I talked to confirmed that I had the wrong kit for my bike. Still no reply from Adventure's Workshop. I left another voicemail and sent another email (both friendly). On March 16th, I received a polite email from Adventure's Workshop saying that their "computers had crashed" and they "lost all their order information". He apologized for the delay and said to return the kit directly to Spiegler and he would notify them of the return. I emailed back saying no problem and thanked him for the update. The next day I got a call from Adventure's Workshop, it was a nice young lady who said she was returning my call and asked if she could help me-apparently she wasn't in the loop. I told her what happened. At that point I figured everything was back on track.

Over a week went by with nothing. So I emailed Adventure's Workshop again with no reply. Now I was getting worried. I called Spiegler to see if they had heard from Adventure's Workshop regarding my order. They had received my return but had not received an exchange authorization from Adventure's Workshop (Spiegler doesn't sell direct). I explained my tale of woe to the guy and he said he knew the guy and would call Adventure's Workshop to try and move things along. Nothing. I called and emailed Adventure's Workshop again last week with a slightly more "urgent" message and two days later the young lady I talked to before called back (no email reply) but it was clear she was just returning the call and didn't know anything about my situation. I explained what was going on. She told me she had no access to the order information but would pass the message along-and no, that person wasn't available right now. OK, fine. On Monday after having heard nothing, I sent an "or else" email saying that if I didn't hear back by tomorrow (yesterday), I wanted my money back. Nada. I called again this morning leaving polite but firm messages on both of their phone numbers-8 hours later, zip.

I'm a patient and understanding guy. If there was even an attempt at an explanation I would be a lot more cool about this. I fear I have been rooked out of $217.

Bummed out.

Henry

Afternoon Henry

If you put the order on your credit card or Pay Pal give them a call. Either can usually withhold the money until the situation is straightened out or you get a refund.

They had received my return but had not received an exchange authorization from Adventure's Workshop (Spiegler doesn't sell direct).

Bummed out.

Henry

I ordered mine direct from Spiegler. Not sure why you can't??? Maybe they have a dealer in your back yard???

This is off of their website:

"If you don't find a dealer close to you or have trouble getting the desired parts, please call us directly at 937-291-1735 and we will help you."

After all this, Speigler should take the ball and run with it for you--send you the correct parts, since they have the wrong parts which you sent them--regardless of whether the dealer ever comes out of his daze or not. They have nothing to lose by doing so, since the dealer has already paid them for the parts. IMHO. (offer to pay the shipping)

If it doesn't work out, call your credit card co. as mentioned above. This often gets slack merchants to do something.

Keep us posted as to how it resolves.

After all this, Speigler should take the ball and run with it for you--send you the correct parts, since they have the wrong parts which you sent them--regardless of whether the dealer ever comes out of his daze or not. They have nothing to lose by doing so, since the dealer has already paid them for the parts. IMHO. (offer to pay the shipping)

If it doesn't work out, call your credit card co. as mentioned above. This often gets slack merchants to do something.

Keep us posted as to how it resolves.

+1, that is exactly what I was thinking. I'd try Speigler again and see if they will step up to the "Customer Service Plate". I think I may even offer to pay for shipping (even though you shouldn't have to).

Failing that, I'd contact my credit card company and dispute the charge. THEY will end up calling the vendor and that at least should set a fire under them.

There is nothing I abhor more than poor customer service.... Good luck!

Radio silence today. I'm pretty baffled-I wish I knew what the hell is going on. Anyways, I paid with a debit card so I may not have much recourse. I will call my credit union tomorrow and see what they say. I have a good relationship with my bank so there may be some hope. I did notice the bit on Spiegler’s site about ordering from them if there were problems getting a product but I kind of took it as a “last resort” type of thing? And yes, my real hope is with Spiegler. Like you said bobbybob, they have my returned kit. If they won’t exchange the kit for the correct one, worst case is I’ll try to get the original kit I sent them back and just try to sell it outright, maybe someone here can get a good deal out of this! I’ll keep ya’ll posted on developments. Thanks.

Henry

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Adventure's Workshop has a long and sorted history of absolutely horrible customer service. I am sorry you got involved with them. Several times a year this same story comes up over on Adventure Rider. There are a few die hard people over there who will defend that company to it's death, which I suspect will be soon.

Usually, once the story hits the internet, suddenly everything is perfect and the customer is made whole. Let's hope it happens soon for you.

Good advice above. A couple of thoughts. Most Debit Cards issued by a bank, or also associated with a credit company such as visa. Look at your debit card, Check with your bank, and if there is a brand on it, call them as well. Enough complaints from clients can cause a merchant to lose credit card capability.

Second..they list two numbers on their site and say call. If not there leave a message. I would dial the numbers every 2 minutes and tell them you are going to keep calling until someone in charge answers the phone. Here are the numbers listed.

Best of luck to you. Lean on Spieglers to do the right thing. Don't accept the wrong ones.

Business Phone: 973-258-0034

Cell Phone: 908-447-3724

Anyways, I paid with a debit card so I may not have much recourse.

Yes, you probably do.

If you used your CC 'as a Credit Card' (giving them the number, name on the card, expiration date, and security number on the back)you have all the protection a CC holder/user has. However, if you used it as a Debit card (using a PIN) you do not have this protection.

Call your bank, let them know you did not receive the goods, and you should be credited.

Thanks you guys. I’ve been feeling pretty glum about the whole thing and now I’ve got some renewed hope that I won’t be left totally high and dry. Those are the two numbers I’ve called numerous times. My debit card is through my bank and Visa, so yes I will pursue this until I at least get the satisfaction of getting this place in some hot water. What really kills me is all the guy has to do is pick up the phone and simply say, “go ahead and send the correct lines out, I’ve received payment, etc.” and sit down at the computer and send me a one sentence email telling me my lines are on the way. I’m gonna be making some calls tomorrow! I’ll keep you all posted.

Henry

I emailed a link to this thread to Adv. Workshop last night. They replied today saying all was fixed. I hope thats the case--let us know.

Ha! You guys totally called it. I just got an email from them stating that they took care of everything and I will get the lines tomorrow via overnight shipping. I’m relieved but amazed at their terrible communication. Of course the saga isn’t over until I have the lines in my hands. I really appreciate all of your support and encouragement, and thanks especially to bobbybob for putting a little outside pressure on them. I’ll post a follow up when/if I get the lines.

Henry

skinny_tom (aka boney)

What really begs to be answered; "how many times does this happen where the customer does not post it to the internet?"

If we only find out about a fraction on the incidents, that company has some serious problems.

Ha! You guys totally called it. I just got an email from them stating that they took care of everything and I will get the lines tomorrow via overnight shipping. I’m relieved but amazed at their terrible communication. Of course the saga isn’t over until I have the lines in my hands. I really appreciate all of your support and encouragement, and thanks especially to bobbybob for putting a little outside pressure on them. I’ll post a follow up when/if I get the lines.

Henry

Nice!

Great! But all of this still begs the question: did ADV Workshop fix the faulty product description on their website so this won't continue to happen.....?

Epilog:

As promised, Adventure's Workshop had the correct lines shipped via next day air from Spiegler and offered an apology. I had stated in a previous email to them that they need to improve their communication drastically. He said communication was "priority to sort out". I placed the initial order on March 6th and it wasn't until April 8th that I had the correct lines in my hands. The guy seems nice enough but they really need to get their act together if they want to survive-especially in the online environment. Next order of biz: install the lines! And by the way, the lines look awesome.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions and support

Henry

Archived