IGNORED

Question on valve covers.

Sweendog

So... I had a parking-lot oops with the bike today, and had it lay over on the right side. -Wasn't moving, had lowered it off the centerstand, w/the handlebars slightly turned towards me, and the darn thing just rolled over.

Anyway, no big thing, other than the small, but gnarly scratch on the valve cover. My question is this: it seems like the valve cover protectors out there in the BMW accessory-world are damn near as expensive as just buying a new valve cover. -What gives?

Does anyone know of any decent valve cover protectors that are less than $130?

I think that the plastic ones from the GS fit... I tipped over my GS severall times ant they did not break ;)

Dan.

... it seems like the valve cover protectors out there in the BMW accessory-world are damn near as expensive as just buying a new valve cover.

Well, half the price.

However, so long as the tip over is slow & low, these $70 protectors will look after the $140 covers every time. So in that respect they are much cheaper.

Needless to say there are many other types out there of varying cost & robustness. If you make a decision, remember to ask yourself what the gaurds will look like after you have dropped your bike on to them. The BMW ones can be restored to a new look with wet & dry paper & 'Back to Black' spray.

Originally Posted By: Sweendog

"... it seems like the valve cover protectors out there in the BMW accessory-world are damn near as expensive as just buying a new valve cover. "

If you break the cover at home, yes you can order and change them, but 2000 miles from home, leaking oil in the middle of nowhere...

Best regards

Japanese

The BMW guards do what they are intended to do. If your covers are just scratched up and not cracked you can try repairing them. Sand out the scratches, then repaint with Krylon Dull Aluminum spray paint and Satin Clear. That's a very close match to the original look and should cost you about $20-$25 for a can of each.

Thanks for the advice. =) I'll give the fine sanding a try, and keep looking around for a nice set of guards. (I've found five or six types for the hexheads, but only a couple for the older 1100 sized engines.

=)

There's a mildly scratched up set available on US Ebay at the moment for around $20.00

It wouldn't take much to sand them up and paint them.

Linz :)

off the centerstand, w/the handlebars slightly turned towards me

Well, there you have it as you most probably know by now. Make sure the bars are turned away when pushing of the stand.

Easy mistake to make and i'm sure many have done it before.

Hope you find the right protectors. Seems like Linz is on to it for a bargain.

Cheers

Steve

Witch_Doctor

I always dig through my mechanics old parts bins, many times you can find what you need. That is how I got mine, found them at the bootom of a junk bin in his shop. Gave him $50 bucks, he even installed for me during my service.

There is NO way my dealer would let ANYONE rifle through his parts bins. His stock control would blow a fuse.

I would say in being able to do this, you are fortunate but rare case.

Welcome to the forum

Witch_Doctor
There is NO way my dealer would let ANYONE rifle through his parts bins. His stock control would blow a fuse.

I would say in being able to do this, you are fortunate but rare case.

Welcome to the forum

Not a dealer, and not his new parts, as they would flip out, but my mechanic's used parts bin. My mechanic was the head mechanic for Daytona BMW for 10 years before starting his own business specializing in BMW, Ducati, and Triumph services and restorations. Before that when I lived in New orleans, my mechanic was the former National Service Manager for BMW NA, before starting a similar business with Norton's, BSA's, Ducati's, Triumphs, and BMW. Nothing against Dealerships, but I find more personal service with shops like Rennsport and Chuck House Motorsports. I like to watch what they are doing with my bike, as I hate the whole "Drive your bike into the garage where you can't see" philosophy.

off the centerstand, w/the handlebars slightly turned towards me

Well, there you have it as you most probably know by now. Make sure the bars are turned away when pushing of the stand.

Easy mistake to make and i'm sure many have done it before.

I don't know about that, either. Why have the bars turned at all? Keep the bars straight and balance it as it comes off the stand. I can see your point about rather having the bike falling against you vs. away, but I'd rather it not lean one way or another.

I searched Ebay and couldn't find the ones you're mentioning. I see a used pair for $42 each, but they look kinda beat-up for that price.

Also, when I looked up their part number on MaxBMW and one other BMW parts fiche, I can't find the gaurds offered at all for the '99 valve covers. =/

It was a mistake, nothing more. I've done it the correct way many times, and just wasn't paying close enough attention when I moved it off the stand. Honestly, the positioning is such, I don't think I'm going to remove the bike from the center stand without mounting it first. It's just too heavy, and easy to make that mistake to do it again.

It was a mistake, nothing more. Honestly, the positioning is such, I don't think I'm going to remove the bike from the center stand without mounting it first. It's just too heavy, and easy to make that mistake to do it again.

Try putting the bike in first gear before you bring it down off the centerstand. When it comes down it will catch in gear and in just a few inches the bike will stop its forward roll. Makes it much harder for the bike to get away from you and out of control.

• 9 months later...

Just be aware that I feel that Rennsport a/k/a Tom High screwed me pretty gloriously.

Buyer beware in my opinion.

Moderator Edit: This post has been modified to remove unsubstantiated speculation.

Archived