IGNORED

Replacement Horn R1200RT (05' 1150RT?)

w2ge

I found/bought on eBay a 2005 R1150R horn... (there was also a 05' R1200RT horn available and they both looked exactly the same) So is this the magical plug-n-play replacement horn that is much louder? My 2010 horn is kinda a joke, (especially after coming off my cruiser with a Stebel Nautilus.)

Got it for $10 bux.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360348950073&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1182

The 05 R1200RT had 2 horns and they were BODACIOUSLY LOUD! I love mine! The looks on cagers faces is priceless.

Unfortunately, in 06, BMW went back to the squeaky (cheaper) single horn.

The 05 R1200RT had 2 horns and they were BODACIOUSLY LOUD! I love mine! The looks on cagers faces is priceless.

Correct ... mid year 2006 BMW deleted one horn but there is a pretty simple upgrade to go back to the dual horn set-up. When I bought my 2006 RT it had been done and agree ... the dual horn set up is nice and LOUD!

markgoodrich

Bad photo in the ebay listing, but it does not look like it's the loud horn. It looks to me like a "pancake" horn.

This thread will tell you all you need to know about what the horns look like, part numbers, etc, although I don't know if your bike still has the wiring for the second horn.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=197017&page=2

Thanks.. Oh well... I think I'm just going to pull the tupperware and put in a Stebel Nautilus, relay, etc... (Nothing like that horn.)

Bought a 135dB horn at Advance Auto Parts that is only slightly larger than the original. $15. Scared many a cager. No tupperware removal necessary.

Funbar.. that's what I was hoping for.. What did you get?

With the Stebel: pulling Tupperware, wiring harness, relay, back to batt, etc... easy, but PIA.

Fuber, I found a Blazer horn at Autozone, they had it in two models High and low tones. The package says 130db (doubt it...) but it is a pancake style that looks at least 1" larger and a lot "meatier". I bought the LOW tone model.

Looking at the stock horn, either I can wedge a torx into the torx screw holding the bracket at the top into the frame, (but not much room,) or loosen a nut at the back of the stock horn to get it off... and then I hope to swap the connector onto the new horn. I guess that's what you did? The nut on the back of the horn seems to be on pretty tight!

Fuber, I found a Blazer horn at Autozone, they had it in two models High and low tones. The package says 130db (doubt it...) but it is a pancake style that looks at least 1" larger and a lot "meatier". I bought the LOW tone model.

Looking at the stock horn, either I can wedge a torx into the torx screw holding the bracket at the top into the frame, (but not much room,) or loosen a nut at the back of the stock horn to get it off... and then I hope to swap the connector onto the new horn. I guess that's what you did? The nut on the back of the horn seems to be on pretty tight!

The one I picked up was made by Fiamm, I think. Two tones available, I also went low (400 Hz range).

Took it off at the nut. Tight but a lot faster than tupperware removal. Had a hard time getting my meat gloves to the wires, so I cut the wire tight to the old horn (no going back there) and used connectors to add the new one. Went in easy.

Might add the higher tone later, or not.

Man, I hope this is worth it!

It took me WAY too long to get the connector off the old horn (05' R1150R) that I got off of eBay (after looking at it, it is exactly the same horn as I have right now.)... I was in my workshop a good 1 1/2 hours just figuring out how to get the d*mn thing off the old horn, ended up taking it off with a bandsaw, and then the old Dremel went to work.

Then I soldered a set of 3" leads onto the new horn and to the BMW connector. Tomorrow I plan to compare the two. (I used some insulative adhesive over the solder connections on both ends and will black tape the connector, too, after the adhesive dries.)

Mine is definitely not the FIAMM... ;-(

Correct ... mid year 2006 BMW deleted one horn but there is a pretty simple upgrade to go back to the dual horn set-up. When I bought my 2006 RT it had been done and agree ... the dual horn set up is nice and LOUD!

Luckily on the later models (mine is 2007) the wiring is still in place, so as said it's a simple job to re-instal the twin horn set up.

Archived