IGNORED

Crashed my RT

JayW

Nice n Easy Rider

Jay, your post goes a long way to reinforcing my view that in spite of all the bad s**t that's going on in the world there are still some mighty-fine people out there who will step up to help when it's needed. Thanks for sharing that positive aspect of your not-so-positive trip.

BeemerBuddy

Street Fighter that bad boy. Cut some puzzle piece shapes into the edges of whatever plastic you can salvage and tattoo it with "Leroy Brown" somewhere. Show bike!

Lone_RT_rider
Replace the RT?

There isn't another bike to do that so you'll need another RT.

As someone that lives in the general area of Jay and has owned an RT of some kind or another since 1999, I would differ on that opinion.

Jay, I just saw this thread my friend. If you need anything, holler and I will gladly make the ride/drive up I-26 to lend a hand. I'll PM you my cell. I am glad you were not hurt worse.

Shawn

if you have the time and skill you might be suprised at how much you can part a RT out for. You might get "what it worth" in parts. It takes time and energy an a place to store the parts before shipping etc. If you want to sell, then contact beemerboneyard. they purchaed my totaled R1100s, and I shipped the bike to them. It worked out very well for me.

beemerman2k

Wow, glad you are OK. I would think there would be a healthy market for used RT parts. If BMW still made the R1200ST, then that would be a much more fun bike for track days I would think. Comfy enough to ride there and back, and light enough to have fun on a race track.

BTW: my 2 cents opinion is that you are a much better rider having suffered this mishap than you were before :thumbsup:

I just found this thread!

I'm so very sorry about your get off Jay. Smart of you to be pushing it where pushing it makes sense, on a track.

I echo all the sentiments here in hoping you mend well. See you at the UN or Fall BRR I hope. You wouldn't be the first or last person to come by 4 wheels.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I should get to replace the RT when I feel ready...stay tuned :Cool:.

Jay

That sentence makes me very happy Jay!

As to a replacement, there's only two words....

Gelande/Strasse!

I do appreciate all the support and encouragement. Shawn, I got your number and will use it if needed; your genuine willingness to help means a lot. My hand is healed up enough now to twist a throttle, but I don't think I could firmly squeeze a brake lever, so am biding my time and just doing physical therapy for a while longer. This gorgeous spring keeps calling to me though.

As wonderful as my RT was, I am going to try a different flavor of motorcycle, though I still want the general taste of a BMW. I considered a Concours 14, but it is just not my style and didn't feel right when I sat on one at the Greenville motorcyle show. I am used to the quality feel of BMW switchgear, have come to appreciate their attention to engineering details, and like the telelever suspensions. Yes, Beemerman2k, the ST is on my short list. I have found 2 good used prospects, but haven't sealed any deals yet.

I will likely cancel my BRR room reservation. It would be great to see everyone, but not being able to ride would be too depressing for me. Hopefully I'll be riding again when the UNrally gets here.

Jay

Jay sorry to hear about your misfortune. Don't freak with a bike, just remember to do your practice drills before you just jump on and go. Take your time and you'll be back to riding as good as you always did, maybe better.

When I broke my ankle, after I was well enough to ride a friend took me to a parking lot with our bikes, he set up cones, and I did practice drills - best thing I could have done.

An alternative way to look at this little mishap, you have joined the club with the rest of us that have spilled, recoup'd, and healed but continue to ride. It is a good club to belong to.

Very sorry to hear about the crash. Having chased that red RT of yours through a couple of states, I know you’ll miss it.

Glad to hear you weren’t injured any more than you were. You’ve inspired me to upgrade my gloves.

I live all of 4 miles from Shawn so you’ve got at least a pair of friends just to the south.

David

Just saw this thread.Sorry about your fallout with your travel companion.And I am glad you R looking at bikes already...How about the new 1600GT;)

Jerry in Monument

I too just found this thread. I'm glad to hear that you were not more seriously injured and that you're healing well. Thank God this didn't happen out on a public road.

I haven't had my own bike in 23 years and am now on the '96 RT and loving it.

I have crashed enduros as a kid and had a couple of lay-downs on previous street bikes, but nothing more than some road-rash and stiff, sore muscles.

Be safe. Glad you're whole.

Sorry about the crash and your injury. Sounds like the equipment worked for you and thats a blessing. Look forward to reading about your take aways from it all. We can all stand to learn from these experiences.

Well, it's been a month since my crash, and I would estimate my hand to be about 70% recovered. I can do everything that I could do prior to the crash, though the hand is still a bit stiff and reminds me to take it easy if I get too vigorous with it.

I am even riding again! - short distances so far. I got myself a new (to me) BMW and will post pictures and comments about it on another thread.

Thanks again for all the well-wishes and support. I sure missed being at the BRR.

Jay

Matts_12GS
Well, it's been a month since my crash, and I would estimate my hand to be about 70% recovered. I can do everything that I could do prior to the crash, though the hand is still a bit stiff and reminds me to take it easy if I get too vigorous with it.

I am even riding again! - short distances so far. I got myself a new (to me) BMW and will post pictures and comments about it on another thread.

Thanks again for all the well-wishes and support. I sure missed being at the BRR.

Jay

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle Jay!

Glad all is going pretty well.

Actually, better than well since you already have another bike.

Good on you!

ellaguru2u

Sorry if I missed it but what happened about the insurance?

In the UK most of the damage to bikes that 'go down the road' at track days is caused dragging them onto the highway outside the circuit.

Jay

Where are those pics at Jay? :grin::lurk:

Where are those pics at Jay? :grin::lurk:

Look here in the K Bikes section Keith. I finally got some photos up today.

Here is a preview:

may11k1200rs006.jpg[/img]

My motives for this teaser are not entirely pure. Mine is the first post in the K Bike section this month, and I'm afraid no one would ever see it otherwise. Could be lonely over there for me...

Jay

Archived