IGNORED

??? about BlueTooth and GPS Garmin 2820

topdal46

I have a Garmin 2720 GPS, works great and I use S-plug in earcanal headplugs with it.

The 2720 does not come with bluetooth, if I were able to find a 2820 Garmin which I think includes BlueTooth, could I hear my GPS directions and communicate with another bike using the SENA SMH-10 bluetooth communicators?

terryofperry

The 2820 has Bluetooth. My buddy uses one with a Scala, I think.

I know he gets GPS directions and talks on the phone with it.

I know nothing about the Sens, I prefer wired to anything out there.

Terry

Sena is getting great reviews on ADVRider and has a good writeup on WebBikeWorld.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608660&highlight=sena

Click the link in one of the posts to the bigger sena threads.

Seems to perform as good or better than anything else out there at

a very good price.

Look at the vendor forum on ADVRider,there are a couple places with good discounts.

JR356

I have the sena and a nuvi 760 blue-tooth. They won"t pair. I wrote sena and they said something of not capable. The zumo or the tom tom motorcycle specific kind will work.You can go their website and tell them your situation. People have worked around this with dongles with a mixit . adventure rider has a good writeup on the sena

John Bentall
I have the sena and a nuvi 760 blue-tooth. They won"t pair. I wrote sena and they said something of not capable. The zumo or the tom tom motorcycle specific kind will work.You can go their website and tell them your situation. People have worked around this with dongles with a mixit . adventure rider has a good writeup on the sena

From Garmins website:

The ability to pair a wireless phone and headset at the same time to a GPS device is a feature available on the following devices:

nuvi 765

nuvi 775

nuvi 785

StreetPilot 2820

zumo 550

zumo 660

zumo 665

I am waiting for someone to confirm that the precise pairing that you have in mind will indeed work.

Excellent information, now to hear it from a actual owner would be the best, anybody have a Garmin 2820 for sale???

Excellent information, now to hear it from a actual owner would be the best, anybody have a Garmin 2820 for sale???

Well, not really because then I'd have to buy a replacement. Why do you want a 2820 instead of something newer and smaller with a bigger screen, etc . . . . ? My 2820 has worked well, but it sure is a big pig compared to today's GPS's. Then again, that's probably why it looks appropriate on my big pig of a GS.

terryofperry

The 2820 is a great unit but it has the old chip which is slower and less sensitive regarding latching on to sat. signals.

In Kansas there probably is no issue but in the mountaqins there is a big difference.

Terry

Terry,

I have a 2720, same shape, power cord and all as a 2820, so the mounting hardware would fit and I'd get the audio from a blue tooth headset, I was thinking of the SENA SMH 10 unit which has been getting such great reviews from Web Bike World.

My 2720 works great, just no BlueTooth on it.

terryofperry

I understand Phil. I'm just throwing it out there that the newer units are faster and better at locking on to sat. signals. I had a 2610 and loved it also. My buddy has a 2820 and he loves it. For $200 or so the NUVI units do it all, blurtooth, lane assist, fast chip, widescreen, mp3, everything but waterproof.

2820 units are hard to come, let us know if you find one.

Terry

That's not a bad price Terry, $200 but living in the Pacific Northwest all of a year and a half now, I've discovered it "rains" here.

Maybe that would be a better route to go, just get a newer GPS, I'd like to do it without breaking the bank.

I've been looking at eBay and Garmin 2820 are not cheap, but the Garmin 2720 like I have now is cheap, or ....maybe it's just ME that's cheap?

Is there a way to add Bluetooth to my Garmin 2720? or is that just crazy talk?

terryofperry

You may need to stick with a waterproof unit for the rain.

You can get cases for the NUVI that are waterproof and let you use all of the features.

I had a streetpilot and liked but sold it with the bike. I researched the Zumos and they are great but the price is up there.

I bought a NUVI 765T for $230 and I love it. It has lane assist, bluetooth, mp3, lifetime traffic, a fast chip, widescreen, integrates well with mapsource and some things I probably don't know about. BUT, it is not waterproof. I take a clear bag in my left pocket to throw over it when it rains but I do not get the rain you do.

I can buy 3 of these for 1 Zumo and it has worked flawlessly for me.

Again, not waterproof.

I have it hardwired to a Starcom1 and Bluetoothed to an IPhone. Lets me know when a call comes in and gives me a choice to answer or not.

Not for everybody.

Terry

Archived