IGNORED

Coffee making while camping

Mark Mayo

I am looking at an Jet Boil system from REI. Has anyone other than Bill Allen used it? What is your method to make coffee while motorcycle camping? Thanks in advance!

I grind my beans at home and take it in a zip-lock bag. A supply of filters, a small funnel, and a cup makes possible a good cup of java in the morning at the camp sites (of course also requires a stove--- a tiny propane model from REI).

A French press, available in different sizes from kitchen stores and in Starbucks, works easily. Keep ground coffee in zip lock. You still need a way to boil water.

No filters are used. Some people prefer the taste of French presses, which retain more oil and leave coffee less acidic tasting. If you like the taste, it's the easiest coffee this side of instant.

Jet Boil here...works well if ya like French Press coffee.

If not, there are many small funnels out there that are

great for brewing a cup at a time. Still use the JetBoil to

heat the water for brewing though. You can get them at REI

also if you wish.

Better deals on Amazon lots of the time though...

Even if you don't camp, it beats the hell out of motel coffee... Spoils ya even.... :grin:

I use a jetboil......Had to buy a second cup, so my wife could have her hot choclate, too. Works great, packs small. And you can buy the fuel at Wally world.

Afternoon Mark

I use a derivative of the Jet Boil—Kind of homemade from pieces as a Jet Boil takes up way more room than I am willing to give up. I do use a coffee press to actually make the coffee.

My “little” backpack stove, coffee press, wind blocker, and fuel canister fit nicely into my lightweight water container so it packs very small.

Keep in mind that if you camp at very cold ambients that the Jet Boil fuel doesn’t work very good at real cold temps.

A French press, available in different sizes from kitchen stores and in Starbucks, works easily. Keep ground coffee in zip lock. You still need a way to boil water.

No filters are used. Some people prefer the taste of French presses, which retain more oil and leave coffee less acidic tasting. If you like the taste, it's the easiest coffee this side of instant.

That is what we do with a Jet Boil, and a cup that is the french press.

Wow - a friend has offered to loan me his Jet Boil for a test run. He does not like it. I like both French press and Melitta style drip. I gotta have some coffee when camping, it sets up the morning nicely.

May go with a small stove and use a filter or funnel to make the coffee. With that I guess I could "cook" too. It doesn't sound like the Jet Boil is suited to more than water heating.

Any comments white gas and pumping vs. cans of stuff?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

This is a good thread! Good info and ideas. An uncomfortable night on a pad is forgotten if the wife gets good coffee. Not to mention how well coffee goes with a morning camp fire.

On the fuel subject, I picked up a bunch of Brunton fuel bottles from Sierra Trading for 3 or 4 bucks each. Using my REI coupon a couple weeks ago I got a MSR Dragonfly to replace my ancient Enders that often was morning quirky.

For fuel, unleaded is carried in the Brunton bottles that also serve as a reserve gas tank. Easily filled back up by siphoning or, at the pump with gloves.

I used the Columbian variety (VIA) earlier this year on a trip to Big Bend.

They work very well for me, don't take up much space, and all you need is boiling water. Simple and effective.

Mike

Once again, board members show their erudite and urbane aspects. I gotta think I'm the odd man out, what with my msr back pack stove and folger ( or generic !) coffee bags. Regardless of the plebian flavor of my brew, I agree a cup of joe at sun up in some state park is a great way to start the day. Now, what's to eat ?

Wooster

White gas coleman exponent stove & an espresso pot I picked up while stationed in Italy many years ago works for me. If I'm in a hurry and want to minimize clean up the starbucks via route works well.

I'm with Wooster.

johnlt got me started on the Folgers coffee bags. The ease of preparation along with a respectible product have me sold. I even use them at home.

RussInParis

+1 on the Italian expresso maker. Takes a little longer maybe but the taste is worth it. Cheap too.

White gas coleman exponent stove & an espresso pot....

Russ

I'm currently using the Stever Stove I bought from a guy who makes them over at advrider.com

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431851

Burns heet which you can find almost anywhere.

I"ve been using this to make the coffee

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Flip-Drip-Coffee-Maker/dp/B004RXNX0A

The base of flip n drip sits on the stove. Boils pretty quickly. Kinda of a pain to clean the coffee chamber, is my one complaint. I've only used the setup a couple of times so I'm not convinced that it's a great setup yet, but the stove fits inside the base of the maker so it's a fairly compact setup.

I think I'd consider the melita unit, but you still need something to hold the water in to boil it. The little alcohol stove works great. No relation to the guy who makes them, but the damn thing works like a champ.

I carry a 2-3 cup percolator, and water bag and ground coffee. I use a MSR DragonFly stove (the best stove in the world btw) and never have any issues. Camp coffee is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Enjoy!

RPG

Afternoon Rick

I have been eying those Dragon Fly stoves for a while now, looks like it will heat quickly and sits stable.

The thing that bothered me was I camp in a lot of windy places and it looks like it might have issues in the wind without some sort of wind shielding. Do you have some sort of wind shield you use with that stove?

thencamebronson
White gas coleman exponent stove & an espresso pot I picked up while stationed in Italy many years ago works for me. If I'm in a hurry and want to minimize clean up the starbucks via route works well.

Vicenza? Aviano?

I use an Aeropress at home and while camping. It makes an excellent cup of coffee and packs up pretty small. I also have a Handpresso espresso maker that uses ESE pods, found it on Woot.com for 1/2 price. I also use it at home but haven't had the opportunity to take it camping yet. For a stove I use an MSR Superfly, also packs small.

Since coffee has no nutritional value, is it the caffeine that is the motivation to go to all this trouble?

If so, wouldn't it be easier to carry caffeine pills?

Just wondering...

Vicenza? Aviano?

Aviano when it was still a 'retirement' base. The only aircraft we had at that time was welded to a steel pole in front of the NCO club.

Since coffee has no nutritional value, is it the caffeine that is the motivation to go to all this trouble?

Just wondering...

No, it's the whole coffee 'experience' ;-)

Just wondering...

Hmm, I'm wondering if you're not a coffee drinker (or worse, a reformed, former coffee drinker). Logically, I agree with you, a caffeine pill or one of those late night TV advertised energy drinks provides the same active ingredient as coffee. OTOH (and this is big with me), the custom or habit of coffee drinking is one I enjoy. Those early mornings at some pretty state park, drinking a cup (let's make that two) of good joe are peak moments. Something about the anticipation of heat and speed makes the cool sedentary dawn something to strech, to make it last longer. Strolling around the camp ground, finding a slow stream with morning mist emanating while quietly sipping something good is a treasured moment.

Writing this reminds me of deer hunting, that is, some people are able to motivate themselves to rise early on crisp fall mornings and walk the woods, enjoying the sights, sounds and scents by themselves: me, I need the external motivator of the hunt to get my lazy butt out of bed so early. Perhaps there are rider/campers who get the same pleasure as I do walking the lot, sensing the moment's contrast to the day's imminent heat and speed. For me, a cup of hot joe makes the moment right.

If you see me at the park in the eerie early morning; I've got extra coffee to share.

Wooster

Just wondering...

Hmm, I'm wondering if you're not a coffee drinker (or worse, a reformed, former coffee drinker). Logically, I agree with you, a caffeine pill or one of those late night TV advertised energy drinks provides the same active ingredient as coffee. OTOH (and this is big with me), the custom or habit of coffee drinking is one I enjoy. Those early mornings at some pretty state park, drinking a cup (let's make that two) of good joe are peak moments. Something about the anticipation of heat and speed makes the cool sedentary dawn something to strech, to make it last longer. Strolling around the camp ground, finding a slow stream with morning mist emanating while quietly sipping something good is a treasured moment.

Writing this reminds me of deer hunting, that is, some people are able to motivate themselves to rise early on crisp fall mornings and walk the woods, enjoying the sights, sounds and scents by themselves: me, I need the external motivator of the hunt to get my lazy butt out of bed so early. Perhaps there are rider/campers who get the same pleasure as I do walking the lot, sensing the moment's contrast to the day's imminent heat and speed. For me, a cup of hot joe makes the moment right.

If you see me at the park in the eerie early morning; I've got extra coffee to share.

Wooster

Well said!

I think it's like the folks who'd rather wrestle with a kermit chair for an outrageous amount of money versus pulling a wally world cheapie out of a bag for $8. You get the thrill of showing how cool and complex your chair is while we just sit in ours.

Urban Surfer
Has anyone tried Starbucks Via? Admittedly pricey.

Bob

Thats what I use now. It's a compromise from real coffee, but what isn't when your camping.

Writing this reminds me of deer hunting, that is, some people are able to motivate themselves to rise early on crisp fall mornings and walk the woods, enjoying the sights, sounds and scents by themselves: me, I need the external motivator of the hunt to get my lazy butt out of bed so early.

Yep, nothing says "Thank you God for a lovely morning" like hunting down a forest rat and killing it :grin:

I can't believe the responses to this thread! I had NO IDEA there were so many campers on BMWST.com forum. Here I thought it consisted of a bunch of .... well, you know, non-campers.

:grin:

I think it's like the folks who'd rather wrestle with a kermit chair for an outrageous amount of money versus pulling a wally world cheapie out of a bag for $8. You get the thrill of showing how cool and complex your chair is while we just sit in ours.

Morning Matt

That’s a good one and how true it is. I can’t remember the number of times a fellow M/C camper will sit in my cheapie folding chair while he tries to assemble his Kermit chair.

But it is good entertainment when you watch a drunk try to put one of those things together.

At least the cheapies can be left out when you leave camp, there has been some Kermits being stolen so some campers are locking them away when they leave camp now.

Afternoon Rick

I have been eying those Dragon Fly stoves for a while now, looks like it will heat quickly and sits stable.

The thing that bothered me was I camp in a lot of windy places and it looks like it might have issues in the wind without some sort of wind shielding. Do you have some sort of wind shield you use with that stove?

Yes, mine came with two shields. One that mounts on the bottom of the stove (to prevent updrafts) and a large one that surrounds the whole enclosure. It's made of thicker aluminum and even has a cutout for the control valve (nice little detail).

PM me and I can send you pics if needed.

RPG

[quote

I think it's like the folks who'd rather wrestle with a kermit chair for an outrageous amount of money versus pulling a wally world cheapie out of a bag for $8]

hijack

Some folks use Kermits because they pack small enough not to totally render the RT's mirrors useless....

Of course others buy BMW motorcycles for an outrageous amount of money vs a Triumph or big4 cheapie...

/hijack

Just wondering...

Hmm, I'm wondering if you're not a coffee drinker (or worse, a reformed, former coffee drinker). Logically, I agree with you,

Nope.

Don't even like the Mocha flavored ice cream or the coffee jelly beans.

I've just seen plenty of folks who can't communicate until their coffee fix.

Doesn't seem Zen like at that time.

;)

Not a criticism, just wondering who would say that it's the jolt/hit from caffeine that they are after.

See too many young folks who don't eat breakfast, drink coffee, then become grumpy and irritable a couple hours into their school day.

Too often the coffee is being replaced with a eEd Bull or the like and that crash is worse.

I do drink green tea (usually) with breakfast, often decaf version.

Best wishes.

Gee, I guess noone uses a zzip ztove ( http://www.zzstove.com/ ). Saves weight if backpacking more than four days.

I'm a tea drinker also and prefer decalf english breakfast tea for my morning ritual. And I just use a butane canister with 6oz burner. Everything nestles in a 2 liter pot. Extra water already heated and used for oatmeal or freeze-dried meal.

---

Morning Matt

That’s a good one and how true it is. I can’t remember the number of times a fellow M/C camper will sit in my cheapie folding chair while he tries to assemble his Kermit chair.

But it is good entertainment when you watch a drunk try to put one of those things together.

At least the cheapies can be left out when you leave camp, there has been some Kermits being stolen so some campers are locking them away when they leave camp now.

In defense of the Kermit (you knew it was coming) I nearly had a heart attack when we bought 2 about 12 years ago when Kermit himself still sold them and they were still fairly cheap. I have to say they are still as tight as they were when new, and are holding up well.

Just wondering...

For me, coffee is nutrition for the soul. I will be drinking it until they pry the cup from my cold, dead fingers. ;-)

Quinn,

Guess I should have added that we use a Coleman dual fuel lightweight stove.

Fill w/white and good for days and many meals.

If needed it will run off the bike's gas.

Carry it and a small folding grill in a softsided lunch bag.

Protects the stove, contains any fuel (no leak yet) easy to pack.

68271186-149x149-0-0_Coleman+Cable+Coleman+Exponent+Feather+442+Dual+Fu.jpg

61NzoIyAvEL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Can use the grill as a grill or put it over the stove for a stable cooking platform.

Best wishes.

Just wondering...

For me, coffee is nutrition for the soul. I will be drinking it until they pry the cup from my cold, dead fingers. ;-)

:grin::thumbsup:

Some of us also enjoy a cup or two of decaf in the morning.

WOW What great responses!

I bought a MSR Wind Pro stove and a cone drip system. The coffee tastes great is low on residue and cleans up instantly. Cool water to coffee in 3-4 minutes. Ahhhh

That is completely off everyone's suggestion, but the discussion was robust at a minimum. By the way, I have and love my Kermit. Be glad to assemble it when under the influence quickly with a smile. You buy the influence. I have not seen a smaller one even with leg extensions.

Completely agree that coffee in the morning is a joy that I will work a bit to continue when camping.

We'll see at Big Sur this May with the South Coast BMW group.

I like the Starbucks Via coffe, doesnt get simpler. I also use the Folgers individual coffe bags. They are just like a tea bag but with coffe grounds in it. Just put it in hot water, let it steep like tea and boom coffee. Pretty good actually.

pic-coffee1.jpg

• Remove Swede stove (SVEA 123) from 2lb coffee can.
  • Remove aluminum cup from top of unit and put it aside.
  • Light stove.
  • Fill coffee can mostly full of water.
  • Place can atop stove and wait 3 - 5 minutes until water boils.
  • Throw in a palmful of ground coffee of choice. I use Folgers.
  • Let boil for 5 - 7 minutes.
  • Take can off stove and dump in a small quantity of cold water to settle grounds (or not, if you like grounds in your coffee.)
  • Pour beverage into tin cup and blow on it.
  • Have a sip and know you did it like the cowboys, including, probably, scorching your lip on the tin cup (only guys who wear jammies with feet in 'em to bed would use a plastic cup.)

CAUTION: Do not attempt this operation using a modern, plastic coffee can as a boiler! The coffee will be utterly foul.

This can has been in use since the mid-1980s and I don't know what I'm gonna do when it finally rusts through the bottom.

Pilgrim

pic-coffee2.jpg

Archived