IGNORED

Fog/Driving Lights

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

I have seen some pictures where people appear to have attached Fog\Driving lights to their cyclinder head protectors. I really like the look of the lights down low and in front of the cylinders. Does anyone have any close ups of the mounts? I am thinking of going this route and will likely be fabricating my own mounts (unless I find a good commercial offering) and would rather not re-invent the wheel if I do not have to.

THANKS!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just put on ztechnik cylinder guards and put my old lamps on them over the weekend. The mounting point on the guards won't allow most, if not all, lamps to mount directly inside the hoop portion of the guard. Had to make a piece of aluminum to adapt lamp and guard to each other. Haven't had time to trim back the excess to a clean look.

IMAG0049.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Guards have a small plate with a screw hole that is inboard of the lamp. Black silicone tape keeps my $14 lights more watertight than they were.

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

Peter,

Don't the lights get dirty because they are mounted so low? Do you have halogen bulbs or HID in those? I am asking because of the vibrations... How often does it burn bulbs?

Dan.

For vibration I wonder if LED would work better? Just read another thread that had some pretty cool LED-based lights as aux lights.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don't the lights get dirty because they are mounted so low? Do you have halogen bulbs or HID in those? I am asking because of the vibrations... How often does it burn bulbs?

Those are wally world driving lights with 100W bulbs. They'll get a little bit of grime on them but, it wipes right off.

I've had those at that location, on other mounts, for better than 6 months and use them every morning to light up the forest rats and Pepe Le Pieus. No burned out bulbs.

For comparison, I have Hella Micro DE halogen fogs in front of them on the forks and have never burnt a bulb in about 2 years. They're on almost all the time except on high beam. There has to be better than a few hundred hours on those.

thencamebronson

74c5, either you're engine is in upside down or your spark plug covers are switched. Or, my head is upside down. Two of the three are possible.

I do like your idea on the tape, I ran some "Big Lots" lights that worked great untill they eventually filled up with water. Is that the tape that only sticks to itself? If so, one of man's greatest inventions.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Plug covers are upside down. THANKS! It still works because it's a boxer engine :eek:

Self sticky silicone fusion tape. I'm really glad it's available to the public now. Makes acquisition less "grey".

I mounted mine to the fairing directly under the jugs. requires drilling a 1/2" hole in the fairing and using some sort of reinforcement plate on the back side to spread the forces out to prevent cracking the fairing at the mounting point. I used a 3" x 3" 14ga. stainless steel plate. These particular units came from Wally World with a very thick bubble type lens. I canned that and bought a 1/8" tempered glass from McMaster-Carr. For now I am using the 55W H-3 bulb that came in them, but have a set of 75W H-3s from PIAA that I may install soon.

5531.jpg.4b9fdb9ff37ec43b40e84bf519744904.jpg

Archived