IGNORED

Bar Risers & Exhaust for 2011 R1200RT

R12Pat

My new 2011 RT will be here next week!!! I'm wondering what is available for aftermarket bar risers and exhaust (slip on and full systems. Thanks.

Welcome on board.

Let me guess, you used to/or still do ride a product from Harley-Davidson(?) Right.

Getting a new exhaust system is not part of the purchase experience with most BMW people. You do not have to pay a BMW Tax.

My (gentle) suggestion is to get it, ride it like it is, and then them after a few thousand miles if you want louder or just different exhaust note get something. OBTW, you will also want to modify the computer map to make it work right.

You are half right... I rode HD bikes for 35 years, but that problem was rectified 10 years ago with my first BMW. I currently own a 2007 RT (69k miles) with a full Remus titanium exhaust and Suburban Machine bar risers. It also has a Bill Mayer seat and footpeg lowering blocks that will transfer to the new bike.

I'm told the exhaust won't transfer. This time I'm considering a slip-on primarily for the weight difference... I am over the noise!

I'm told the Suburban Machine risers will work, but they raise the bar straight up and this time I want to try the risers that go up and back towards the rider. The bars on the 2011 are visibly different than the 07, so I'm not sure what difference(s) there may be in the risers or who makes the for the 2011.

Thanks for your suggestions.

scott r1200rt

I just put a Akropovic exhaust on my 2010 RT. It is sold buy BMW, you pay a bit more but will not void any warrantee. Sounds great, looks great. The weight is at least a few pounds lighter. Took 7 minutes to install. I love it!

scott

Ozonewanderer

My upper back has been hurting since last summer - when I bought a new 2010 RT. I think it's from the handlebar position. I've been researching bar risers, and here's my summary by vendor including cost and change in handlebar position (vendor descriptions). I have not purchasd any yet, but I'm leaning to the Ilium model that includes an extended brake line. It seems to offer the greatest extension. From what I've seen from other postings, however, many of these bar risers work fine.

ps.

Some of these data/costs may be old from 2010 when I started compiling this list.

Wunderlich $119

- 25mm taller (0.984”).

Ilium $89.95

- Up .898" and back 1.032" for a total diagonal movement of 1.375". Stresses brake line.

- Part #11-600 bar backs for 2010 include extended front brake line and mounting manifold.

Suburban Machinery $99.95

- Net change .894” up, .447” back. No change to brake line.

Moto-Techniques $69.95

Moves bars up & back diagonally ~1" to unload weight from wrists & forearms and relax the neck. Uses stock control cables and requires no modifications. New bolts are supplied.

Vario Handlebar risers $235

- Allows a wide range of adjustment: The base position has the handlebars 30 mm (1.18”) higher than standard. Then the step-less adjustment allows them to be moved back toward the rider by up to 20 mm (0.78”). Additionally, each handle bar can be moved outwards by up to 25 mm (1”) from standard. This results in massive 50 mm (2”) overall increase in handlebar width for a true “touring” feeling.

Heli Bars $119

- Raise them 1" (25mm) and move them towards the rider 1" (25mm).

Touratech $129

- Raise the handlebar by approximately 20 mm (~.8”).

Creative Cycle Concepts $330

- Handlebar Riser 1.7 Inch Move PLUS 15 degree pivot.

CVM Touring $75

- Bar Backs move handlebars 1 inch up, and 1 inch closer to rider.

Dirtmerchant
My upper back has been hurting since last summer - when I bought a new 2010 RT. I think it's from the handlebar position. I've been researching bar risers, and here's my summary by vendor including cost and change in handlebar position (vendor descriptions). I have not purchasd any yet, but I'm leaning to the Ilium model that includes an extended brake line. It seems to offer the greatest extension. From what I've seen from other postings, however, many of these bar risers work fine.

ps.

Some of these data/costs may be old from 2010 when I started compiling this list.

Wunderlich $119

- 25mm taller (0.984”).

Ilium $89.95

- Up .898" and back 1.032" for a total diagonal movement of 1.375". Stresses brake line.

- Part #11-600 bar backs for 2010 include extended front brake line and mounting manifold.

Suburban Machinery $99.95

- Net change .894” up, .447” back. No change to brake line.

Moto-Techniques $69.95

Moves bars up & back diagonally ~1" to unload weight from wrists & forearms and relax the neck. Uses stock control cables and requires no modifications. New bolts are supplied.

Vario Handlebar risers $235

- Allows a wide range of adjustment: The base position has the handlebars 30 mm (1.18”) higher than standard. Then the step-less adjustment allows them to be moved back toward the rider by up to 20 mm (0.78”). Additionally, each handle bar can be moved outwards by up to 25 mm (1”) from standard. This results in massive 50 mm (2”) overall increase in handlebar width for a true “touring” feeling.

Heli Bars $119

- Raise them 1" (25mm) and move them towards the rider 1" (25mm).

Touratech $129

- Raise the handlebar by approximately 20 mm (~.8”).

Creative Cycle Concepts $330

- Handlebar Riser 1.7 Inch Move PLUS 15 degree pivot.

CVM Touring $75

- Bar Backs move handlebars 1 inch up, and 1 inch closer to rider.

Great list :thumbsup:

Archived