IGNORED

Who is comin to Torrey XXI????

Whip

Any road reports on Hwy 14 and 12 out or Cedar City would be helpful.

Leaving San Jose in the morning (Thurs)....

I-5,I-80, Hwy 395, Hwy 120, Hwy 6 to Tonopah

Friday on to cedar City and then Torrey.

Two up and will try to stay warm and dry.

ghaverkamp
"I had the whole place booked with Goldwing riders, but they've all just canceled because of the weather."

It's tough to find a nicely insulated satin jacket.

This reminds me of the Torrey event a few years ago when it was snowing all around Torrey on Friday when everyone was supposed to arrive. Randy Austin (owner of the Chuckwagon) got a call from a friend who owns a motel down the road a bit...

"I had the whole place booked with Goldwing riders, but they've all just canceled because of the weather."

Randy: "You should be more selective with your clientele...my BMW guys have been rolling in all day. We had one guy cancel, but that's because he got appendicitis."

Lol!

That was the same gathering where a big group was coming over 12 and got rained on, then snowed on, then more rain...then rode through a heard of cows. They all rolled into the CW frozen and covered in cow sh!t.

Good times.

We don't remember or retell the tales of the simple trips. It's the ones that made us reach that warm our hearts and minds.

We are keeping the lights on. You all come on through, ya hear. I laid in a supply of Hot Hands for anyone who needs some extra warmth getting out of Torrey.

I hugged Laney today, a bunch. :) I had missed my gal pal and we had some real stories to share of adversity. We can't wait to get our arms around Paul and relive those 3 days in MD with her tranny all over the shop. :grin:

Paul Mihalka

"We don't remember or retell the tales of the simple trips. It's the ones that made us reach that warm our hearts and minds."

I'm sure this Torrey ride will add to my story catalog :P .

Right now rain/snow coming down, bike covered with a white blanket. Anyways, I'll be there.

Last nite there was chain restrictions on hyway 20 from I15 to 89..

This morning its been updated to wet, it will be a few hours till I get there....

things do tind to change at a moment notice.

Leaving Ely soon

I'm looking at snow on the mountains above St George but the sky is blue and I'm on my way to Torrey about 10AM.

7:30 in SLC... heavy, wet snow.

Forecast is 90 percent precipitation rest of the day.

Scientific weather discussion is a real bummer. We will be at CW this afternoon. Look for the silver SUV...

I just finished breakfast so as soon as the snow slows up a little I am on the road. With a little luck I should be in Torrey by 14:00.

8:00 AM. Breakfast at The Border Inn on US 50. (NV-UT border). Dry and overcast on this route. As Tank says though, weather tends to change here. But for now , all looks good.

We are in Ogden, UT after 4 hours in rain and light snow, we’re already soaked, and more of the same predicted for here, there and everywhere throughout the weekend it looks like. Including back north as least as far as Calgary. And I have to be back at work in Edmonton by Wednesday. So I guess we are bailing trying to make Torrey and will see if we can get back north without being snowed out of Canada!

Torrey is just jinxed for us. This is the third time in six or so years we have tried and not made it. I give up.

roadscholar

The rain you rode thru has moved off to the west. It appears there is about an 8 or 10 hour window for relatively smooth sailing to Torrey, it's about 250 miles from Ogden. It's all part of a big counterclockwise low centered around Grand Junction with pockets of precip (some large) covering most of the Rockies. If you look at it on radar there are plenty of opportunities to ride when and where there is no precipitation.

Just got into Torrey at 1pm. Weather was not a problem, a little rain, a little snow and some light hail type stuff. Roads were fine, it is all about being dressed right! I had to keep slowing down as rain at 90 mph stings!

I made it to Torrey right about 2:00pm as planned. I got lucky and kept hitting the sucker holes between storms so I barely even got wet this trip but the rain storms were definately out there.

bakerzdosen

Although I was really wanting to go, it looks like I'm not even going to make an appearance. I've kinda got an emergency trip to Maine.

I did want to at least pop in, but alas... Fall it will have to be.

I guess I got here at 4. 31 degrees and snow and hail coming south on 24.

Missed 2 deer by 10 feet on 62 near Angle. Store keeper in Koosharam says BMWer totaled his bike there on a deer a few years ago.

Also a big deer at the side of the road dead. Looked like a large buck.

Where's a good place for dinner?

dc

I am so disappointed I had to cancel out this spring. The missus is getting a new knee and needs my assistance to take care of her menagerie. Sounds like it could turn in to a classic weekend. Y'all have fun.

Firefight911
Guess what... I'm in Torrey and I'm waiting on Richard.

Consistency! At least we have that!

Brant Herbert

Anyone know road conditions coming in from south on 12? Trying to decide between that, 24 from west, or 95 from the east. Heading out first light tomorrow.

Two weeks ago, Moki Dugway was fine!

100_4498.1.jpg

But I hit lots of COLD weather through Capitol Reef and Torrey also Escalante. Beautiful skies but serious cold! Heated gear, all the way!

Sound like you guys are hitting fresh snow...geeze, at the end o' May??

Here's 12 from 2 weeks ago.

100_4550.1.jpg

100_4566.1.jpg

I've been following this thread and I hope you guys get some of a decent weekend riding in. If not hot toddies and good company! :grin:

More sun today with wind and clouds coming and going. The ride through Cap. Reef was sweet with the tail wind, riding in a vacuum. The turn around into the wind as predicted was a little work but with a burger waiting back in Torrey was short work.

Good times as usual.

Ha! Look who's talkin' :grin: I hope you are enjoying moving to your new house when you could have been freezin' your buns off instead. :P

Gary and I went out there also; and split a pie at the Gifford house. The lady says she sells 8 dozen of the pies a day.

Just a slight little breeze. And a little rain, but it didn't last.

It's now sunny and real nice out here. Cool, but I didn't freeze, even in the snow.

Oh, is that the lady from Louisiana?

dc

DSCF1831.jpg

DSCF1830.jpg

bakerzdosen

Ha! Look who's talkin' :grin: I hope you are enjoying moving to your new house when you could have been freezin' your buns off instead. :P

I've given him enough flack over the years, so I'm glad someone else brought that up. My tongue was bleeding over here... :)

Just pulled into Torrey and had a great ride from Alpine AZ. The Moki Dugway was awesome!! So was hwy 24 and 95 and 191, especially from Safford to Alpine.

DANG IT!!!!!!! :dopeslap:

Not only are there a whole bunch of my favorite peeps there but looks like a whole slew of cool newbies, too! This sounds like an EPIC Torrey and Leslie and I are SOOOOOOO bummed we're missing it! :cry:

You all have a great time and I expect to see LOTS and LOTS of pictures!!! :clap:

You two are missed also.

The party is still going but slowly winding down now. It's amazing how many people can fit into one of the cabins, no couch surfing though.

Lots of pics will be coming, including two adorable future members (they had to go to bed early after story time).

Cheers.

Dear Jamie and Leslie,

Having wonderful time, wish you were here

PS This is not San Diego tropical weather.... Brrrrr

Awwwwww man I'm here waiting on you!

Sorry Jean!

Unfortunately it wasn’t just about getting there, we were also concerned about getting back out and back to Edmonton on time. The forecast for all of Minnesota and southern Alberta was predicted to deteriorate all weekend. I’m on thin ice at work (a project I’m assigned to isn’t going well), so taking six days off was pushing it as was. And if I didn’t made it back when I said I would; I think my goose would have been cooked! And my boss at my second job was none to excited about my taking time off right during the busiest time of the year either.

I don’t know, in retrospect maybe we pushed the panic button too soon. We are really bummed about not being able to see everyone. Or do any riding, except 4000km to near there and back that is. :(

But I suspect that was the last hoora’ (or lack there of) for BMWST related things for us. It just doesn’t seem to work out for us being where we are. I need to focus on other things besides BMW riding that need more life’s attention anyway.

We do wish everyone nothing but the very best in the future.

Cheers!

Archived