IGNORED

Who is comin to Torrey XXI????

Whip

AdventurePoser

Hi guys, I am in Saturday and out Saturday. Gotta stretch the legs on the new GSA....check your PMs for tee shirt information!

cheers,

Steve

Hi guys, I am in Saturday and out Saturday. Gotta stretch the legs on the new GSA....check your PMs for tee shirt information!

cheers,

Steve

I've only been to Torrey once and yet I can say Deja Vu :grin:

Hope your other half will be there this time?

Steve, I remember you coming up for just dinner years ago! I thought at the time you were a little nuts :=D I think it is 8 hours each way so up and back 16 hours, LOL I still think you're a little nuts.

cheers,

Steve

Can you at least slow down as you drive by the Chuckwagon?

AdventurePoser

cheers,

Steve

Can you at least slow down as you drive by the Chuckwagon?

Ha ha....am looking forward to seeing everyone!

Can't wait!!

Steve

Yeah, right. I was listening to Slow Ride by Foghat while my throttle was pegged riding with Dennis and Laney last year. . .Oh well, like Mr. Frampton said, "C'mon, let's do it again." :grin::wave:

Jack Herbst

We are leaving Tuesday, our anniversary, to spend a night at Flagstaff, then Tuba City, 160, 163, 261 and 95 to Hanksville, 24 to Torrey. We will look for you in Torrey. Staying at Sandstone Inn.

russell_bynum
Yeah, right. I was listening to Slow Ride by Foghat while my throttle was pegged riding with Dennis and Laney last year.

Yup, that's been known to happen.

The first time Laney went on a "Slow ride", she passed those of us on the "Fast ride" like we were going backwards. I think my head actually spun around several times like a cartoon. There's just something cool about being passed by a dozen or so boxers (and a couple of loons on K-bikes) nose to tail at a buck twenty five.

Dennis Andress
Yeah, right. I was listening to Slow Ride by Foghat while my throttle was pegged riding with Dennis and Laney last year.

The first time Laney went on a "Slow ride", she passed those of us on the "Fast ride" like we were going backwards. I think my head actually spun around several times like a cartoon. There's just something cool about being passed by a dozen or so boxers (and a couple of loons on K-bikes) nose to tail at a buck twenty five.

It's a sad, sad, feeling when your throttle is pegged and there ain't no more. I hit a personal record on that ride, and looked in my mirrors to see Laney right behind me. :Cool: I checked the new fangled bike computer when we all stopped at the I-70. It said I got 59 mpg!!!

We're ready to go NOW! (Both of our day jobs are being dorks.) I need to do a 12K service, but both bikes have good tires. Our tow vehicle got new shoes last weekend. Four 265/65 16 Yokahama's cost more than tires for both bikes. :eek:

russell_bynum

It's a sad, sad, feeling when your throttle is pegged and there ain't no more.

What's sad is when you hit the rev limiter....and you're in top gear.

Of course...I'd never do such a thing on public roads. A friend of mine did it and told me about it.

Dennis Andress

It's a sad, sad, feeling when your throttle is pegged and there ain't no more.

What's sad is when you hit the rev limiter....and you're in top gear.

Of course...I'd never do such a thing on public roads. A friend of mine did it and told me about it.

It's a challenge to hit the K13's rev limiter. I think it's set for 11,500 rpm, but peak horsepower is at 9250. Kinda odd.

We picked up an EX-500 a few months back. I peg its throttle a lot....

Paul Mihalka

Got my confirmation at the Chuckwagon! Brian, we'll be next door neighbors on top of the store.

Thank heaven there is BRR next weekend. If not, the wait would be looong!

Jack Herbst

Anyone know of an airport private or public at Torrey?

I know of one at Hanksville and Escalante but unable to locate one at Torrey if one exists.

Thanks Jack

Joe Frickin' Friday

I know of one at Hanksville and Escalante but unable to locate one at Torrey if one exists.

Thanks Jack

Looks like the closest is Wayne Wonderland, about 11 miles west (by road) of Torrey.

Thanks Jack

Looks like the closest is Wayne Wonderland, about 11 miles west (by road) of Torrey.

That's the closest, nice long paved runway ever since the fire fighting plane got stuck here, but unmanned tower and field. Some maps show an airstrip in Torrey but it's long gone.

nice long paved runway ever since the fire fighting plane got stuck here, but unmanned tower and field.

Cool... maybe we should schedule Drag Races...

Jack Herbst

Thanks Jack

That's the closest, nice long paved runway ever since the fire fighting plane got stuck here, but unmanned tower and field. Some maps show an airstrip in Torrey but it's long gone.

Thanks Bob and "Joe friken friday".

Jack

russell_bynum

nice long paved runway ever since the fire fighting plane got stuck here, but unmanned tower and field.

I'll bring Steven's PW50. You guys are going down!

Firefight911

Hey, we need to invade the cart track first!!!!!

BWWAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHAAAAAAA!!!!!

russell_bynum

Hey, we need to invade the cart track first!!!!!

BWWAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHAAAAAAA!!!!!

IN!

I will be there. Oh, I already said that.

What I'm trying to plan now, or over plan, is, leaving Torrey, what is the best way to get to Bryce?

82 and 89, or 12?

12 will take me to the Burr Trail? 18 miles of which is paved?

Is that worth it?

dc

russell_bynum
I will be there. Oh, I already said that.

What I'm trying to plan now, or over plan, is, leaving Torrey, what is the best way to get to Bryce?

82 and 89, or 12?

12 will take me to the Burr Trail? 18 miles of which is paved?

Is that worth it?

dc

There are no bad roads between Torrey and Bryce.

But UT-12 is particularly not bad, and the Burr Trail also does not suck.

Maybe I missed the question but.

Just to clarify, a little. 12 goes South from Torrey and is the very best way to get to Bryce. Best meaning scenic.

Burr Trail is a side road that departs 12 in the community of Bolder. It is not "on the path" to Bryce, but could be ridden as a diversion/entertaining side trip.

What about the road down into Monument Valley? Someone has said it is steep downhill, and red loose dirt.

That going down is worse, and coming out, it's just a high rpm hill climb.

I did intend to go in there. I think they charge $5. No paved road?

"If you decide to ride down into and around Monument Valley, the sandy red dirt on the first descent is very deep and its the same hill to climb to get back out. There's more throughout the valley, but that's the worst of it. Down is harder than going up - going up means keeping the revs up and whatever you do, do not stop. This alone was more difficult than either the Moki D or the Burr."

Is that true?

dc

russell_bynum

Sounds like the Moki Dugway.

moki_dugway_3198.jpg

It's easy. The corners are paved. The straights are hard-packed dirt. It is not particularly steep. The cliff the road is carved into is steep, but the road itself is no big deal. We went up it a few years ago with me on the Tuono and Lisa on her R1100RS with absolutely zero dirt riding experience. It was a complete non-event. Great view from the top, though...well worth the ride.

Unless you're afraid of heights or something like that, it will be no problem going up or down.

If you take the side road (off of Hwy 163) into the Indian Reservation yes it is dirt/gravel. Hard packed. You will pay a toll...$5 I think. Also there is a very nice mulit-level hotel overlooking the Valley with parking lot (many tour busses). You can continue on the road into the Valley on your own. I would suggest taking a guided tour via large Chevy tour trucks run by the tribe. I stayed at Gouldings Lodge (on the opposite side of Hwy 163) last year and got the tour pick up there. Got the 3 hour tour about 3pm. It was great and no need to worrying about your vehicle. There are some major ruts in that down-hill section with rental cars moving all around so be careful if you ride in.

Dennis Andress
you could see Dennis and Laney while riding with them? For how long?

We've have a problem, or two....

I made a left turn from a stop sign Monday morning, and rode over the center divider that I didn't see. Pretty stupid, no? I broke a rib and a big toe. (Riding gear did an excellent job.) The bike has a cracked and beat up fairing, badly scraped clutch cover, and a few other scrapes here and there. It's at the shop for an estimate. When we get that we'll be able to figure out if we can still make Torrey. :cry::cry:

bentbike-L.jpg

Oh man, Dennis. I'm glad it wasn't worse. I sure hope there is a way that you two can make it to Torrey, comfortably. It's awful to see your beautiful bike like that!!!

russell_bynum

Dennis: If it's an issue of having a bike to ride, my bike is your bike. Or my bike is Laney's bike and Laney's bike is your bike. Or...dang...well...you know what I'm saying. :)

Dennis Andress

Thanks Russell. But, you should delete that post. If Laney sees it she'll ride off on your Tuono for the weekend...

I should heal well enough in the three weeks before Torrey. If my bike isn't back together by then there's an EX-500 Ninja in that garage that makes me laugh my a-- off everytime I ride it. The big thing is going to be how we pay to fix the bike. Out of pocket, or insurance. Cheap insurance is nice to have, especially when there are two K1300Ss in the garage....

russell_bynum
Thanks Russell. But, you should delete that post. If Laney sees it she'll ride off on your Tuono for the weekend...

Yeah, I considered that. She'd leave us standing there in the Chuckwagon parking lot in a cloud of Michelin smoke and receding Italian V-twin thunder.

:Cool:

Dennis Andress
She'd leave us standing there in the Chuckwagon parking lot in a cloud of Michelin smoke and receding Italian V-twin thunder. :Cool:

That could clip the wings of a few screaming eagles....

Mike

That is the info that I have verified. I can't find anything about bur tours, other than 3 day bus tours, etc, other than the Goulding Lodge tour. Which is 9 am or late afternoon. Neither of which fits my schedule, and there is no availability at the accommodations in that area.

3 hours on the bus is probably too much for me. I'll just have to see if I can ride in and ride out. Or not.

dc

Archived