IGNORED

Finally getting that first ride in...

Matts_12GS

Some of you may remember when this unfortunate incident happend last year...

Well, a lot has happened since early August 2010.

Between physical therapy (2 rounds!), Dianne's job search, the holidays, shoulder surgery, MORE physical therapy, Dianne getting a full time job again, lots and lots of wrenching, fussing, and fettling with a carburetor, getting laid off, getting hired again and a big anniversary weekend trip I was finally able to get my little man on a motorcycle.

Not long after we gave Nate the little Honda from the previous chapter, a coworker offered me a great deal on another pee wee bike, a Yamaha PW80 of indeterminate age and running condition. I took it home and pretty much ignored it while working on the Honda.

After the holidays, I found yet another 1978 XR75 that was in a bit better running condition, but the frame/bearings/bars etc were in worse shape. No biggie, we swap engines to the "pretty" frame of the restoration bike.

Two intake manifolds and three carburetors (including one that someone other than the author left on their back bumper) later we got the bike running. It's not the best idle, and it surges like crazy. So, since little man is nervous about mounting up the surging Honda I decide to get serious on the Yzinger

My spark problem turns out to be a bad kill switch, and four kicks later the bike is running. Suddenly we are back in business! A new back tube gets us up and running till new tires get here and we'll make do with the hole in the header till the new silencer gets here. Brush off some flaky rust, a little sanding and spray paint and BINGO!

1238743255_DZk28-M.jpg

Today was the day, just after Dianne and I got back from an anniversary get away I put a new tube (I pinched the first one) in and put the bike back together.

Suited up, controls explained and everything demonstrated by Dad we are ready to ride. A couple quick starts and stops and suddenly someone is beaming from ear to ear and showing good form riding around the yard

1238740257_LGPR4-M.jpg

I think this one says it all...

1238741860_opuBM-M.jpg

Ya done good Buddy, ya done good!

Awesome job Nate! :)

We went to a big field that Huzband had scouted for a class and I put the lad out where he could open it up a bit more. I need to get him to break in his MX boots a bit better so they'll fit under the shifter, but otherwise, he's all business that one.

1247391839_7cpKX-M.jpg

Putting some leather to the horses in second gear even!

1247398899_vGLUP-M.jpg

And my favorite, looks like he is just motoring down a country lane...

1247401563_R6mAq-M.jpg

Better now?

We went to a big field that Huzband had scouted for a class and I put the lad out where he could open it up a bit more. I need to get him to break in his MX boots a bit better so they'll fit under the shifter, but otherwise, he's all business that one.

1247391839_7cpKX-M.jpg

Putting some leather to the horses in second gear even!

1247400273_NUxks-M.jpg

And my favorite, looks like he is just motoring down a country lane...

1247401563_R6mAq-M.jpg

roadscholar

Looking good Nate, you'll be out on the trail in no time. :thumbsup:

I like the testarossa (red head) touch on the YZinger, did it come that way?

LOL, no, it was scabby and pitted aluminum so I knocked it off with a wire brush and sprayed it to make it look better. Besides, it's Chevy Orange so the smoking seems natural and it gives it more of a gators look to it ;-)

Besides, it's Chevy Orange so the smoking seems natural and it gives it more of a gators look to it ;-)

Uugghhh. :P

Oh, Nate looks real good. :thumbsup:

Archived