IGNORED

MD Riders?

Angel

On Feb. 1, 2k11, I started a new job in Bethesda, MD. I didn't get my bike here in MD until last weekend when I rode it up from FW, TX. Now, I'm looking for any (BMWST.COM) folks in the general vicinity ;) . ALso, looking for some recommendations for regional day rides, ride-to-eat outings and any other ride involved or Tech-day events. I'm not at all familiar with the area and I am looking forward to getting out an exploring.

contact me via PM.

Angel

Congrats on the new job! Welcome to MD!

There are quite a few active members of BMWST.com in MD & NorVA. I've only met a handful or so myself.

I see from your avatar you've ridden at least some in VA, VW, & NC, so you're not a complete stranger to the area. There's great scenery around here, though no doubt different from your travels out west. You probably already know that there's no big sky, far fewer vistas, and even when you do come to a vista in the summer, it's often difficult to see very far because of the poor visibility due to the humidity.

However, what this region offers is a dense network of highly technical backroads! And though our mountains are tiny in comparision to the Rockies, there are simply grunches of highways, byways, country roads, and even very rideable goat paths winding their way between them, up and over others, and sometimes you can ride right along the very crests of long ridges. Nearly every valley brings a change in scenery, a variety of cultures, and access to new sites of historical significance.

Speaking of history, living near DC means you're within a day's ride from many of the most significant historical sites is the US: scores of Civil War, War of 1812, and Revolutionary War battlefields; the Civil War capitals (DC & Richmond); Colonial capitals of Williamsburg, Annapolis, Phlidelphia, and of course ... DC itself. Though I don't recommend riding to those cities, they certainly are worth visiting.

One of the best things about living near DC is you're almost certainly (depending on where you actually live) under a couple hours ride of the Blue Ridge and mid-Appalachians.

But on that note, one of the unfortunate aspects of living near DC is the urban/suburban sprawl and associated traffic. However, there are some ways of escaping the sprawl on paths less traveled that provide a more pleasant landscape to ride through on your escape.

As for good roads in the mountains, well ... it's kinda hard to go wrong. That said, there are some real gems that you don't want to miss that are not as traveled (though I found most of them by researching online myself. That said, I'll PM you and see if I can recommend a more pleasant way out of town (depending on where you live) to get to the really good stuff. If you GPS kind-o-guy, Id be happy to send you some files.

As for BMWST-related events ...

Well the immediate area doesn't seem to have had a recent history of Tech-days or organized ride-to-eat outings. Perhaps you could help get that started! That said, there are a couple of group events in the general area:

Blue Ridge Rendezvous (BRR VII - Apr 29 - May 1 - Pikeville KY)) - Hosted by Lone_RT_rider (Shawn) & Matts_VSTROM (Matt)

Rubber Chicken Rendezvous (RCR3 - June 17-19 - Snowshoe Ski Resort in central WV) - Hosted by OoPEZoO (Keith), RT_Jim, and me .

As you may already know, this year Shawn and Matt are hosting the UnRally in Little Switzerland NC.

It doesn't look like I can make the UN this year, so I hope to see you at BRR, RCR, both, or some other event.

Paul Mihalka

Welcome to Maryland, Angel! As you might know I used to work full time at Battley Cycles, BMW dealer in Gaithersburg, MD. It is probably the closest dealer to you in Bethesda. Now I go in only on Saturdays. This Saturday, 4/9 we are having our Spring open house. As the shop is a Harley/BMW/Ducati/Yamaha dealer, the open house will be more Harley oriented, but if you can, come by, have a Hamburger. I would love to meet you and we can talk about riding and roads and everything else.

Great!, thanks for the valuable info and the "encouragement" :eek: I think.

No, I'm not a total stranger... I was at the UN in Fayetville, WV. Iv'e been through NC on several occasions, did the MOA in Johnson City. Last year, I was fortunate enough to make it west for the UN at Topaz Lake via NM,AZ,UT,NV and CO. Iv'e also had opportunity to travel west for the top of the rockies in Paonia, CO. I'm still iffy on the UN this august with the new job and all but, its on the calendar. The way I see it... i took the job here to ride the North East! I need to go visit Tewks and The Rev.

Depending on work, I may make it out to the BRR at the end of this month.

I'm also trying to get dialed in with the BMWBMW.org riders... Hoping that I can get some new tires mounted on my bike, (preferably in someone's garage). :thumbsup:

I'm sure that we'll run into each other down the road somewhere.

Cheers!

Welcome to Maryland, Angel! As you might know I used to work full time at Battley Cycles, BMW dealer in Gaithersburg, MD. It is probably the closest dealer to you in Bethesda. Now I go in only on Saturdays. This Saturday, 4/9 we are having our Spring open house. As the shop is a Harley/BMW/Ducati/Yamaha dealer, the open house will be more Harley oriented, but if you can, come by, have a Hamburger. I would love to meet you and we can talk about riding and roads and everything else.

Excellent Paul!,

I'll be there on Saturday provided the weather doesn't get wet... again.

I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers.

Welcome to the East Angel! :thumbsup:

[quote=Paul Mihalka

]the open house will be more Harley oriented, but if you can, come by, have a Hamburger

I know for a fact that Angel likes a good burger! ;)

Pat

Welcome to the East Angel! :thumbsup:

I know for a fact that Angel likes a good burger! ;)

Burger??? I'm lookin for Lobstah!!!

The way I see it... i took the job here to ride the North East! I need to go visit Tewks and The Rev.

Hoping that I can get some new tires mounted on my bike, (preferably in someone's garage). :thumbsup:

OK, here's the plan either carry or ship the tires to my casa, I have a no-mar tire changer and a Mark Parnes balancing rig we'll change the hoops head north, collect Tewks find a Diner, Drive in or Dive (trust me he knows them all) eat,ride an repeat... :rofl:

I met Angel at the Topas Lake UNrally, rode thru Yosemite with him and his son, lets see, Joe G was there, forget right now who else .

MD has gotten a fine rider and a wonderful human being. Good luck with the new employment Angel.

Tank!,

you are way too kind bro.

Hope things are well over by you. and that we get to share a ride again someday.

Any chance of you making the trek East for the UN? Totally do-able!

cheers man!

Welcome to the east coast buddy. Haven't seen you since holding the bar down in Fayetteville. Hope you can get out to the BRR......you'll have fun.

My garage is always open for tire changes, but its a bit of a hike from Bathesda. I'm up in PA at 17368.

Welcome to the east coast buddy. Haven't seen you since holding the bar down in Fayetteville. Hope you can get out to the BRR......you'll have fun.

My garage is always open for tire changes, but its a bit of a hike from Bathesda. I'm up in PA at 17368.

Right on, its been a while... I'm workin on the BRR if not then, it'll be the UN.

You mentioned Tech Days. Check out bmwbmw.org (the local chartered club of the general DC area). We have at least six tech days scheduled this year -- most at members homes and one at Battley Cycles. There is a club mtg this Friday in the VA burbs. You might want to stop by and meet some of the locals - I'm the club secretary.

Archived