IGNORED

How many miles left in this tyre?

Boffin

or why I will not be fitting another set of Conti Road Attack-2.

The tyre looked fine with plenty of depth in the treaded area before I went on a 350mile ride.

When I got home the rear looked like this:

1237059687_T2CST-XL.jpg

A pity really, because in all other respects they were a very good tyre.

I have now just fitted a set of Michelin Pilot Road-2 tyres.

ANdy

John Bentall

Hi Andy,

My Pilot Road 2's were horribly squared off after 10,000 miles of solo riding, front worse than rear.

This morning I paid £262 (ride-in-ride-out) for pair of Pilot Road 3's.

Best regards,

John

Afternoon Andy

I’m not familiar with the Conti Road Attack-2 but that looks exactly like the same wear area and about the same mileage from looking good to cord showing that I get on my Metzler Z-6’s.

The first time it happened to me I was about 400 miles from home and just rode it home on the tire (didn’t seem to get a whole lot worse looking)

I just installed a new rear tire and scrapped the old one. Wasn’t real happy with the tire not having center wear bars but I really like the Metzler Z-6 tire for my riding style so installed a new one.

Anyway I got to thinking a few days later on just how much rubber thickness I had left. My tire was gone so I told the dealer what I was looking for and to hold one for me if they got a similar worn tire in. They got a very similar worn Z-6 about a week later so I carted it home and used a hole saw to cut a 1-1/2” circle out of the center of the tire. Actually even though cords were showing there was quite a bit of thickness left- (enough to keep me from worrying about riding it a ways once I see cords showing).

I am still riding on Z-6 tires (I bought a few extras before they were phased out by the new ones).

I guess what all the words above are trying to say is: if you like your current tire you can find a way to keep it by being creative.

What I finally ended up doing as my “crystal ball” was mounting a brand new Z-6 then inflating it to the cold pressure I usually run, then taping on some waxed paper, then making a Bondo Squeeze of the tire curvature. I then trimmed that Bondo Squeeze to 2” wide and nice and straight sided. That is my NEW TIRE template. When I install a new tire I use that to verify the tire is close to the old ones.

Next made the same Bondo Squeeze using waxed paper on a tire worn just like yours looks. Again I trimmed it to 2” wide and straight sided.

Now I have a worn out tire template to stick on the tire as it gets near wear out so I can get an idea of rubber and contour remaining. It’s not perfect but gives me a pretty good idea on how much rubber I have left before the air starts showing.

I think you misread the tire before you left on that ride, or you were veeeery aggressively riding. So how many miles did you get out of it altogether? I have used this tire a couple of times with satisfactory results.

Jay

I may well have misread the tyre, the wear is uneven with other areas just showing two grainy lines. If the less-worn area was at the rear when I checked the pressures etc, then I may not have noticed. I did check the wear-bars which are still below tread depth. The ride was not at all aggressive - all at or about legal limit and with my wife on the back. I have used Road Attack for some time now, but this was the first time I fitted the Road Attack-2. The tyre had done just over 4000 mikes, but had been subject to a day's riding with a slow-puncture a month or so back which will have accelerated wear.

The lack of central tread and the sudden reveal of cords is unacceptable to me - the broken cord meant the tyre was severely compromised and the law would have dealt harshly with me if the police had seen it.

Andy

I had the same experience with Dunlops. I don't use them any more. (They only lasted 6,000 miles)

Pilot Roads 1 and 2 since then. I'll do PR3 next time.

The tyre had done just over 4000 mikes, but had been subject to a day's riding with a slow-puncture a month or so back which will have accelerated wear.

Andy

By chance, did you overinflate the tire during this time to get back home? Or did you not notice the leak until you stopped riding for the day?

I understand your concern that the accelerated wear of the tire is of less concern than the sudden appearance of cords.

A friend on our annual winter ride in Florida had the same thing happen on his rear Metzler Z-6. Before we left, his dealer said he has about 1800 (or so) miles left on the tire. We rode about 500 miles before we noticed his tire issue. We are a bunch of old pharts and are not real aggressive riders. He got a PR3 and is very happy.

The tyre had done just over 4000 mikes, but had been subject to a day's riding with a slow-puncture a month or so back which will have accelerated wear.

Andy

By chance, did you overinflate the tire during this time to get back home? Or did you not notice the leak until you stopped riding for the day?

I understand your concern that the accelerated wear of the tire is of less concern than the sudden appearance of cords.

The tyre picked up a very small hole sometime during the ride and I did not notice anything untoward that day. When I checked the tyres before the next ride the following day, the rear was about 15 pounds low. I could not locate the leak so put some Ultraseal in the tyre which showed a very small spot. I checked the pressure two or three times on that ride and the ultraseal had done its job. BTW - liquid sealants are a royal pain when it comes time to remove the tyre, even if they are water-soluble.

The sudden appearance of cords is my only concern here, UK law requires motorcycles to have a minimum tread depth of 1mm over 3/4 of the width of the tyre, with the remaining tread visible. Or, where the original tread pattern does not extend over that area, to have a minimum of 1mm of depth in the original pattern. the tyre still meets those requirements. The law however, also states that any damage that exposes the tyre cords makes the tyre illegal, and the current UK penalty for illegal tyres is 3 points (of 12) and up to £2500 per tyre and that is not worth the risk.

Andy

The sudden appearance of cords is my only concern here, UK law requires motorcycles to have a minimum tread depth of 1mm over 3/4 of the width of the tyre, with the remaining tread visible. Or, where the original tread pattern does not extend over that area, to have a minimum of 1mm of depth in the original pattern. the tyre still meets those requirements. The law however, also states that any damage that exposes the tyre cords makes the tyre illegal, and the current UK penalty for illegal tyres is 3 points (of 12) and up to £2500 per tyre and that is not worth the risk.

Andy

You British sure do spell things funny. Leaving the "h" out of thread like that. :grin:

---

I had similar experience with the wear on Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

Center was shot way before the tread was down to the wear bars.

Archived