IGNORED

Do you use your heated seat?

blackyam

Heated seat use  

429 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, y'all. I've used the heated grips on my '10 R12RT several times (and they work a lot better than the ones that were on my previous '02 R1150RS). However, despite the prolonged abnormally wet and cold winter in (northern) California last/this year, I never used the heated seat. Now I'm curious: How many of y'all have used your heated seats? Do you love it, or was this a solution that was looking for a problem?

---John.

Afternoon John

I see the California in your location. Maybe that has something to do with using a heated seat.

Here in the north we at times ride for hours on end in sub 20°f or even in the 30’s but cold damp rain.

I do use it in the cold but could actually live without it if I didn’t have it. I find it really a nice thing when it is cold (mid 30’s and raining as that is when the seat gets wet and the dampness goes right through me).

I like the heated seat... and so does my wife. Before I got the bike I really wondered if it was something that I was never going to use... but after riding on some cold days.. it really is nice.

One of those things that once you have, you realize how nice it is.

Yes, I use it in colder weather. It's been in the lower 40s for my most recent rides. It helps a bit but then, maybe I'm a bit of a candy butt. :D

I can even feel the heat through a combination of an Alaska Sheepskin, Airhawk type seat cushion, lined jeans and BMG Pioneer Riding Pants. :thumbsup:

Roy

I like it and use it frequently in the winter but having said that, I could live without it. It's not in the same "need" zone as heated grips or Gerbings.

loboheritage

Have two heated seats, stock and Russell. Both are great and I use the heat any time I use the heated grips. Great piece of gear....

My new bike has a heated seat. Never had one before that. Now that I've tried it, I like it a lot.

Comfort. It's that simple.

Living in Wisconsin, YES! If we want to extend the riding season, additional heat (aside from what Mother Nature gives us) is a must. Interestingly, three other riders and I rode from Northern Florida to New Orleans and back last year (late Feb, 2010) with temps in the 40's and low 50's. The heat felt pretty good at highway speeds.

I've only used mine once. Even though it was 36F that morning near Ojai, My rear got warmer than I find comfortable. The heat was set to the lowest position. I just don't seem to need heat on the part of my body that stays warmest anyway.

Having said all that, I live in southern California and my wife calls me "The Eskimo" so...

YMMV. :wave:

Edit: The wife LOVES hers!

szurszewski

I put a heated Corbin on my 1100RT back in '06 mostly for my wife. She and my mom both use it pretty much whenever they're on the bike and it's not hot (which, in the nw, is most of the time they're on the bike). I find that it's extremely warm and when I do use it, which is rarely, it's never for more than a few minutes at a time. Those few minutes, though, are quite nice. (I feel the same way about the heated - though much less so - seats in our car.)

What I wish I had was something like a heated kidney belt - I think it's because of the aftermarket windshield's airflow, but where I get cold is right on my sides/lower ribs....and wearing enough layers or whatever to keep that warm makes the rest of me way too warm.

I really needed it on my Wyoming/Grand Teton tour last June, correction, my SO had to have it. It's nice to have when you need it and costs nothing more when you don't.

I've used mine more than 5 times, but I've had the bike almost four years. It's nice for those rides up in the mountains wearing light gear in the summer to take the chill off instead of adding more gear. I use my heated grips much more often, however.

I use mine a lot in the cold. When I bought my bike I thought it was frivolous, but I find it really helps. I try to avoid wearing long johns, because if I make a stop it gets really hot.

Joe Frickin' Friday

My previous RT only had heated grips. Combined with an electric vest, it let me survive rides home from the Smoky Mountains in 33-degree rainy/snowy weather.

My current RT has a heated seat along with heated grips. Together with the vest, it makes the same conditions not altogether unpleasant, even though my gear was soaked through after hours on end. I was soaking wet, but my fingers were warm, my core was warm, my butt was warm, and so I felt fine.

Having heat available means you can dress lighter and be able to ride even if conditions vary rapidly - or if it's a steady cold-weather day, you can dress with fewer layers (i.e. more comfortably) and still be warm.

It's one of those things that you don't really appreciate until you have it. I've got heated seats on my RT and while I don't use them often, they're invaluable when you really need them.

Wonder if there's any correlation between the need/desire for a heated seat and the use of Gerbings (or other heated gear). I use heated gloves and rarely use the heated grips.

Afternoon John

I’m the same way—with heated gloves I never use the heated grips. My palms don’t get cold it’s the back of my fingers that get cold and heated grips do nothing for that problem.

cali_beemer
Afternoon John

I see the California in your location. Maybe that has something to do with using a heated seat.

Here in the north we at times ride for hours on end in sub 20°f or even in the 30’s but cold damp rain.

I do use it in the cold but could actually live without it if I didn’t have it. I find it really a nice thing when it is cold (mid 30’s and raining as that is when the seat gets wet and the dampness goes right through me).

Even here in California, it gets into the 20's and 30's. I have been riding in that weather all winter long as its been unusually cold this winter here in California. I love having a heated seat and I use it all the time. My 04 RT didnt have the option and I just ordered a Russell Seat so I went and added the heated seat option. Unfortunately, the weather has now warmed up as it arrived so it might be a while before I can give it a good test.

Love the heated seat and grips. Use them all the time.

Best thing is that on shorter cold weather rides, like an hour or less, e.g., commuting, I can wear a light jacket and run the seat/grip heaters and avoid the moderate hassle associated with electric clothing or a bunch of bulky layers.

When it gets into the 30's, or if we're talking hours in the saddle in the 40's, out come the Gerbings and layers, but I still run the seat/grip heat, at least on low.

I rarely raise the winshield, leaving it in the full down position 95% of the time, and I've decided that the ESA was an unnecessary gimmick that I've already abandoned, but I will get seat and grip heaters on bikes from now on.

Now I'm feeling like I missed something last winter by not trying my heated seat. I'll have to give my heated seat a try this coming winter (it felt like we jumped from winter to summer last week). Maybe I'll come to wonder how I ever lived without it before (just like the nifty cruise control). Thanks, y'all.

---John.

I'm the opposite, more likely to use the grips than the seat. However, as I don't have electrics yet ride regardless of the temperature, I really appreciate the heated seat when the weather drops below ~45F.

I use it on crispy mornings,, especially if I'm not wearing heavier riding pants (more noticeable heat through lighter/single layer pants).

I use it ever spring and every fall. Anytime when it's below 40F I may use it depending on what gear I have on and how long I'm out there.

It's just like real-estate it all about Location, Location, Location! The further north you are the more your going to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. It wasn't cold enough this morning for me to use my heated liner or gloves, but it was cool enough to use my heated grips; so I decided to try using my heated seat for the first time. It took a little while on high before I could feel any heat through my 'stich, but once it warmed up ... ahhhh ... very nice. I was surprised, very pleasantly. And to think I stupidly went through winter without trying it ... what a dope! I didn't know what I was missing. Now I do. :-)

---John.

I miss my heated seat! I used it all the time, even in the middle of summer on those cool August evenings. Maybe I'll add one to the RT...

Jerry in Monument

I just bought my '96 1100RT and it has Corbin seats but no heat. I wish it did.

I have been thinking of adding heat but the Corbin's fabric is rivited to the seat pan and having Corbin do it is outrageously expensive.

Oh well.

Jerry in Monument

It was 26°F when I left the house this morning at 3:45am. I ride 56 miles each way to work, twice each week.

Heated grips make it doable. Heated seat would be wonderful.

Some day.

Archived