IGNORED

new to me K100rs

Grey Ghost

Just bought an 85 K100RS that has sat for a couple of years, starts, runs ok, shifts very smoothly-no wierd noises. I think so anyway this is my first K-bike, my usual ride is an 04 r1150rt. I obviously will be changing out all fluids, I have no previous history on the bike 53k mi. I usually like to run synthetic oils in engine, trany and final drive is this a problem with the older K-bikes? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Hi there, regarding the synt oil, there are many opinions, but in my experience (1988 k100rs last 4 years) mineral oil for the engine and final drive and synt on the gear box, no leaks and smooth ride. Change engine oil and filter every 5000km and Fd and gear box at 20000.

Best regards

Japanese

You'll sure appreciate changing the fuel filter on the K... :) vs. having to completely pull the guts out of the tank on the R... :mad:

That's why I relocated the R's filter... :clap:

You could use syn oil, yet I only ran it for one winter (5-40) to help with cold weather starting. It seemed to like it, yet starts OK in the cold w/ 20-50 mineral. Personally use Amsoil Syn in the Tranny & Final right now. Have used mineral for many miles previously.

I bought one new in '85 and put around 60 k on it, it was an excellent bike, the only problem I had was a speedo sender replaced under warrenty. I used either 10w40 BMW oil or Castrol GTX in it the whole time with no problems. They're pretty close to bullet proof with even minimal care & feeding..

Yep! the fuel filter was a breeze compared to the RT. Got it titled and inspected this week. Smooth ride just can"t stop for traffic lights. No working radiator fan- pulled it and freed up bearings but will not power up and run, looking for replacement.

Once you get a manual (to trace the wiring), (and new fan/motor assembly), you can run wiring and a switch to a handy (clutch side) location on the removable knee pad to turn the fan on anytime, prior to waiting for the temp sensor to activate it. Did this awhile ago, nice during hot weather. I used a push on/push off switch from Radio Shack. Not "waterproof", but have had no problems. You'll have to remember to turn off the fan while moving at speed though.

Archived