IGNORED

Off Road riding and throttle blipping.

Whip

I am not very comfortable off road.

I don't really understand it.

I want to get better.

I have always wanted to be smooth and steady with the throttle.

When watching/listening to this video I realize I have been doing it wrong all along. The instructor is constantly blipping the throttle even when maintaining a constant speed.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2010/December/dec2710-video-ktm-990-adventure-off-road/

Any thoughts and explanations would be appreciated.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Several reasons.

He's blipping to loft the front end over humpdies. Bumps often are more easily taken with a light front end.

He's also doing it to roost. No real riding reason to that other than it's fun.

The two stroke guy is doing it all the time probably to find some power in the pipe and it sounds cool.

roadscholar
Several reasons.

He's blipping to loft the front end over humpdies. Bumps often are more easily taken with a light front end.

He's also doing it to roost. No real riding reason to that other than it's fun.

The two stroke guy is doing it all the time probably to find some power in the pipe and it sounds cool.

Agree. The way to ride a big bike in tight conditions is at 4:00 on the video, stand up and ride slow like it's a giant trials bike. Forget about all that other stuff. :grin:

Morning Whip

As mentioned above it is (or can be) used to loft the front end slightly when needed (or at least lighten it somewhat on a heavy bike)

I tend to do the same thing when riding off-road. Some has to do with using the rear wheel as a steering end (using a sliding rear wheel to (quickly) point the bike in a different direction). Some has to do with continually knowing the traction I have at hand if needed instantly. Some has to do with liking to feel the bike slide around a lot (the more you do it the less it bothers you when it happens without warning)

In climbing loose material hills it sometimes helps as the off-throttle blip cycles allows the rear wheel to hook up to the loose ground then throttle-on gives the bike another spurt forward.

There come times in off roading when there is such lousy front tire traction (like loose material off cambers, or deep sand that you simply can’t put ANY counter steer in or the front wheel washes out right quick so about the only way you have to get around a curve or corner is to power the rear wheel and steer using the rear of the bike (basically point and shoot).

That is one of the things I really like about serious off road riding is all the different bike inputs required to ride fast over difficult terrain (unfortunately some opposite of on-road inputs). If you are riding fast you are usually about one small step from crashing at every corner, rock in the road, tree stump across the trail, or change in trail structure.

One of the problems I have had in doing a lot of (serious) off-road riding is that it can really screw you up for smooth track riding. The off-roading is just great practice for on- road (QUICK) obstacle avoidance slippery road handling, unexpected objects in your line of travel etc. But is sure isn’t good practice for being smooth on a paved race track.

The instructor is constantly blipping the throttle even when maintaining a constant speed.

Maybe the instructor is practicing to be a Harley rider.

+1 on all above.

Plus, when we rode 2 strokes, we kept the revs up to keep the plug clean and most of the power was at highers revs. My 196 lb Rickman Zundap had 20Hp, but I swear it only had 2 HP until you were 3/4 throttle. Made it tough to ride in tight woods.

All of the reasons in the replies apply.

This one is a very, very, big one. Especially in the time of year and ground conditions of the vid. "In climbing loose material hills it sometimes helps as the off-throttle blip cycles allows the rear wheel to hook up to the loose ground then throttle-on gives the bike another spurt forward." I'd add this can be true for very slick spots off of hills as well.

Also this one is a big use of on off. "There come times in off roading when there is such lousy front tire traction (like loose material off cambers, or deep sand that you simply can’t put ANY counter steer in or the front wheel washes out right quick so about the only way you have to get around a curve or corner is to power the rear wheel and steer using the rear of the bike (basically point and shoot)."

An additional reason is when the ground is rough and slick. You can be going as fast as you want to go in the trees or whatever, but needing to save small front wheel slides with some throttle. As soon as it's saved you may let off again to let the back stop roosting and keep your speed fairly constant.

When on a section where you actually desire to accelerate through, it is very likely you would use a wide open steady full throttle ( or at least meaty roll on accelerating throttle), in contrast to what the terrain and speeds in the video are depicting.

As pointed out, there are marked differences in this to road riding. Completely different traction levels, and surface texture/bump/rock situations on the blacktop.

My WR250R is sorta like that (need to keep it in the power curve), not a lot of power/torque at lower RPMs, so, get in a lower gear and gas it.

Big bikes, like Bill says, take it easy.

• 2 weeks later...
motorman587

In motor schools it is frown upon blimping the throttle, we call it "pimping" the throttle, it was a typo couple years ago in the score sheet and it has stuck........so no "pimping". lol

Danny caddyshack Noonan
In motor schools it is frown upon blimping the throttle, we call it "pimping" the throttle, it was a typo couple years ago in the score sheet and it has stuck........so no "pimping". lol

True. At the CHP 2 week school, I got ragged on a lot for doing that during the dirt work on the big KZ. Also got a big WTF? for sitting on the radio box platform going through the sand trap....the only one not to eat it.

Archived