IGNORED

How to mount Garmin on R1200RT?

macx

Howdy. Newbie here, picking up the bike Sat.

Going to Vegas for a 3 year construction job on a power plant

in a week or so, have been around that area a fair amount but

I know there's lots more neat Nat'l & State Parks in the area

I haven't seen yet.

I've got a Garmin - is there some type of mount that I could use

to put that on the RT? And I spose I need some type of adapter

to plug it in?

Thanks!

What type of Garmin? The Zumo's come with a motorcycle cradle to hold the GPS unit. If you do not have a Zumo it is a little more difficult. You will need find a cradle to hold the device. Mounting to your RT is easy. Search for Ram Mounts and locate it where you want. I have my Zumo above my clutch master cylinder.

Snowy.

I agree with starfighter. My Nav IV is locked into Touratech mount. Not that I don't trust my cousins across the pond! :thumbsup:

Go to the RAM Mounts site, input the specifics of your device and bike and it will put together a setup to do it. If you don't already have one, go to ebay and search for a hard wire cord for your model. You'll need to wire that to the battery or accessory fuseblock for power.

I found a Touratech locking mount on E-Bay CHEAP.. It was made for a particular bike brand so it has the bike name instead of Touratech on it.. I THINK it was KTM, I'd have to look when I get home to be sure.

R1200Rt already has power up at the steering head for the GPS you only need to buy an adaptor cable to use it. No extra wire runs, or CanBUS issues. A few places sell the cable think I got mine at CycleGadgets for about $12.

It's a Garmin model Nuvi 260W.

Thanks for all the tips!

Totally new to this bike

(not getting it till next week now, BMW sent it to the dealer but don't know for sure where it went or when it will get here (!)

I don't imagine the Garmin is waterproof - I don't suppose there's such a thing as a waterproof little box or some such for it? Probly just have to take it off and stow it if it rains.

A previous poster is right. Ram Mounts have everything you need for mounting the unit to the bike. I mount my 265wt on a perch that attaches to the clutch reservoir, and I plug in to the power outlet on the left side of the fairing. Go to Powerlet for the adapter that lets you plug the Garmin cigarette plug into the BMW outlet. Very simple and secure. You will need a hood of some sort to deal with glare, otherwise, you won't be able to read it a lot of the time.

Before worrying about the mount I'd worry more about having a GPS that's suitable for bike use, especially one that's waterproof. Does your Nuvi fit that description?

RussInParis

I asked the same question a while ago for our Garmin 660, and ended up with the Wunderlich mount.

Works well, easy to install, keeps the GPS in view. Not quite as elegant as the Migsel, but cheaper, and from what I've heard, less prone to vibration.

Russ

On a side note, that Wunderlich mount is cool! Also some what universal... My father saw it and is using it on his GL1800!

Snowy.

Go to the RAM Mounts site, input the specifics of your device and bike and it will put together a setup to do it. You'll need to wire that to the battery or accessory fuseblock for power.

Ram mount, yup. Brake reservoir mount and 5" arm. Under $50 with the GPS mount. And you can add on more later if need arises.

Because I use my GPS in the cage as well, I have an adapter that I keep tucked in the tank bag. Run the powerlet cord forward of the bag then across to socket, GPS power cord up the handlebar. No worries, and I can charge the cell while I ride, too.

I highly recommend Migsel products from Belgium. I've used their RAM based products on my R1150RT, R1150GS and now on my 2011 R1200RT. The products install without any modifications and don't leave marks when you remove them. The parts are expensive, but the quality is worth it. Shipping service form Belgium is about one week to the US east coast. Take a look at www.migsel.com.

Archived