IGNORED

BILT line at Cycle Gear?

RT Russ

Anyone check out the new line of gear at Cycle gear yet? I knew they were losing one of their main manufacturer's then recently I received a mailer from Cycle Gear about BILT gear, helmets, gloves, jackets, pants etc. All at introductory %50 off. Too good to be true, right? Must be low level products? Anyone check it out yet? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

szurszewski

I googled around after receiving the same flyer last week. I have zero personal experience with the product, but the $50 waterproof touring type boots had me curious. I could only find posts just like this one and a few with negative experiences either referencing weird fit (like, not symmetrical from right to left) or problems with zippers and such.

That was enough, along with being too poor to even afford cheap new gear, to keep me from riding over to Cycle Gear to take a look. I'd love to hear from anyone that does have real experience though - or even anyone that just goes in for an in person look at the stuff. Prices sure are great.

I visited the local Cycle Gear about 5 miles from the house to check out the BILT modular helmets that were 50% off for $99. Nice helmets, seemed very light weight, but sadly didn't work with my head shape I guess. Maybe my ears are just too big??

I looked at a bunch of other BILT items and they appeared fine to my non discerning eye. The BILT boots are supposedly made by some company that Alpine Star has something to do with. (?)

Anyway, seems like a product line worth checking out closer.

Regards

Bernd

I too stopped by CG today to look at the Bilt boots. Sevearal styles, work boot type 8" laced with side zipper, lined, some not. Had toe cover for shift lever protection. The more european style inside zipper boot is waterproof, per claim, and looks pretty good. These are not more famous maker quality boots but not bad, IMO, for the low price. Sizing is European, which I never understand. I would not buy them though without seeing them myself if I was considering buying a pair of boots. FWIW, hope this has been of some help.

I just bought the waterproof touring boots and a set of gloves from them today. I'll wear them this weekend and let you know how they work out.

bilt-boots.jpg

Ordered these the other day... I'll let you know what I think when I get them... I wear a size 11 in street shoes and ordered them in 11... I read somewhere they run true to size and then others said order 1 size higher? Shiz, they're only 70 bux.

Just looking for something for hot days of general riding.. My Sidi Canyon's are too hot for high temps and I have a pair of CycleSpirit boots that are just plain worn-out.

Matt... So, Did you try out the BILT gear you bought?

I haven't received mine... mail order (I have two stores within 50 miles each way from me, N & S) but they're sending them to me from California.. (and I'm in NJ!)

gloves yes, boots no.

I like them, fit is good but a little tight. They are stretching slowly though.

I'll wear the boots tomorrow and let you know.

Anyone check out the new line of gear at Cycle gear yet? I knew they were losing one of their main manufacturer's then recently I received a mailer from Cycle Gear about BILT gear, helmets, gloves, jackets, pants etc. All at introductory %50 off. Too good to be true, right? Must be low level products? Anyone check it out yet? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
How long is that sale for? Leaving town for a week... Can;t beleive I might miss it... Would not mind a pair of gloves.

Just found out some interesting info: This is a cut/paste from another forum re: BILT.

QUOTE:

"I've done some research and I've found out that 7 factories in Pakistan make about 80% of the motorcycle gear (boots, jackets, gloves) for the majority of companies out there (Alpinestar, Dynastar, Firstgear, SIDI, Teknic, Fieldsheer, etc). There also some factories in India and China but the majority is from Pakistan.

Why did I start researching this? Because I was on Cycle Gear's website and saw a pair of boots (BiLT brand) that looked exactly like a pair that is offered by SHIFT but at over half the price. I had never heard of BiLT so I called the Cycle Gear store in Louisville, KY and talked to them about it. They told me that it was a new "House" brand for them but couldn't tell me anything more about it, so that is when I decided to do some research. (I'm an Intelligence Analyst for the government so I'm pretty good at doing reseach, it also helps to have contacts working over in THAT country that gathers economic intelligence)

Here's what I found out. The boot by BiLT is made in the very same factory as the SHIFT boot, on the same line. SHIFT boot $100, BiLT boot $49.99. Alpinestar made in the same place and similar design $170........ Difference in the Alpinestar and other two is one higher grade of leather is used. Is that really worth $120 more?

I didn't end up buying that boot but I did buy another one from BiLT. Cost, $70 same boot different brand, $260. Oh yeah, they are made in the same factory..........

BiLT also has a weather proof boot that looks identical to my Alpinestars. Cycle Gear price $60. I paid $180 last year on Closeout for them. "

Archived