IGNORED

Extend the life of your rear brake pads!!

roundy

Can't take credit for this one, Neil "GS Shop" Harrison told me...

Clean the brake debris and crap from the vent holes in your discs, it acts like a rubbing compound against the pads. Just cleaned mine out with a drill bit by hand, they were all plugged solid with nasty crap!

CoarsegoldKid

I replaced mine at 70K miles and they were still within spec. This without dusting them off. They get washed occasionally.

The brake debris gets blown away from the discs up front...

70K miles on the same pads - OMG!!! wow...

Most of my riding is commuting so a lot of rear brake action hence more crap...

CoarsegoldKid

70K miles on the same pads - OMG!!! wow...

Most of my riding is on twisty roads. I don't use the brakes much.

Pads....not discs...

You said discs initially, make up your mind. As a side note, this is true about most holes.

Post tittle - extend the life of your PADS

jist of the text - keep your DISCS free of dirt

Makes sense to me, no need to make my mind up?!?!

85,000 miles on original pads both front and rear; front ones will need changed in the near future but rear looks barely used since I rarely use the rear brake.

Paul Mihalka

Starting with the R1150 bikes if they have ABS they have front to rear linking. When I switched from the R1100RT to my R1150R with ABS my rear brake wear went way up. That tells me that I, and probably many others, was overusing the front brake and not using enough the rear brake.

Peter Parts

Sounds like a myth to me: the pads sweep the protruding debris out of the way and that hardly seems a source of wear.

Big wear factor is that the one-sided spring-positioned caliper gets sticky and the far-side pad wears much faster. Always seemed a dumb/cheap design on BMWs part although there isn't a lot of room for a dual piston caliper.

So, once in a while, give the caliper a shove to see if it is moving freely.

Like clutches, some folks wear 'em faster. But unlike clutches, not a matter of good versus bad riding technique. Unlike cars, piece of cake and not expensive to replace bike pads - so I tend to use them harder than I do in a car.

Ben

great riding weather in Toronto, 42F degrees.

Peter Parts

.... brings me to engine braking which, for cars, is touted as smart eco driving. But on our bikes, downshifting and adding wear to clutches is a lot less sensible than using brakes hard.

Ben

..But on our bikes, downshifting and adding wear to clutches is a lot less sensible than using brakes hard.

Ben

You've changed the subject a bit, but since you brought it up, I would argue that proper downshifting, ie matching revs as the clutch lever is released, does not appreciably wear the clutch.

A discussion for another thread perhaps.

Jay

Peter Parts
..But on our bikes, downshifting and adding wear to clutches is a lot less sensible than using brakes hard.

Ben

You've changed the subject a bit, but since you brought it up, I would argue that proper downshifting, ie matching revs as the clutch lever is released, does not appreciably wear the clutch.

A discussion for another thread perhaps.

Jay

Respectfully, engine braking has a whole lot to do with rear brake pad wear. Unless you are used to wet-clutch styles, the BMW clutch can last a very long time, as you imply. But I can't say as my downshifting (for more engine braking) is anything remotely as smooth as my upshifting or the skill you must possess.

And I'd sooner do 10 brake pad replacements (350,000 miles??) than one clutch replacement.

Ben

Archived