IGNORED

Valve / Throttle Body Sync

hellmutt

Is it possible to check/set the valves and do a throttle body sunc without taking the plastic off of a 1999 RT?

My quess is that the valves are no problem, however I wonder about the sync. I never had a problem with my old R-90 however there was no plastic.

Am I likely to need new gaskets?

Sync will require side panels to come off.

Valve cover gaskets can be reused quite a few times - depends upon how old they are. Replaced mine every 50,000 miles.

What Brian said.

In addition, tupperware removal is only ten minutes or so, reinstallation 15 minutes. No biggie. Be carefull not to over tighten the 3 mm allen screws. It's a drag if you strip one or cross thread one.

Your valve cover gaskets and donuts may actually last forever, but if you develop an oil leak there, it probably isn't the gasket. You need to clean the oil off of the gasket reasonably well before installation. If you don't, it will weep through where the gasket has oil on it. Just wipe them down well with a lint free rag or paper towel. I've seen a number of oil leaks after valve adjustments. Every single one was caused by oily valve cover gaskets. Start your motor, warm it up and balance TBs BEFORE reinstalling the plastic. This way you can identify any leaks before you go through the complete tupperware tango.

What Brian said.

In addition, tupperware removal is only ten minutes or so, reinstallation 15 minutes. No biggie. Be carefull not to over tighten the 3 mm allen screws. It's a drag if you strip one or cross thread one.

Your valve cover gaskets and donuts may actually last forever, but if you develop an oil leak there, it probably isn't the gasket. You need to clean the oil off of the gasket reasonably well before installation. If you don't, it will weep through where the gasket has oil on it. Just wipe them down well with a lint free rag or paper towel. I've seen a number of oil leaks after valve adjustments. Every single one was caused by oily valve cover gaskets. Start your motor, warm it up and balance TBs BEFORE reinstalling the plastic. This way you can identify any leaks before you go through the complete tupperware tango.

I always oil the gaskets and valve covers before mounting them back, never had an issue ;)

Also, I have made an spark plug key that is almost as thick as the inside of the valve hole. This way, if the rubber seal around the plug is not set right, the key won't fit in ;) I always visually check it but it's better using this method.

Dan.

So I quess my next step is to order a Twinmax and get to work.

I had a mercury balancer but never liked the way it worked on the R-90 so I just used the old disconnect one plug......set the idle at 1,000....then do the other side.........connect both plugs and re-adjust the final idle....it worked great however I know that can't be done on this bike.

I have had the plastic off I just don't like to for some reason.

Thanks guys.

The valve cover gaskets will last a long time. The donuts are a little more fragile and will occasionally tear as you pull the valve cover off. They are especially prone to tearing if you don't have a spare in the garage. You might want to consider buying a set of spares and putting them on a shelf somewhere.

Ok I just got the Carbtune; when going thru the instructions they note: some "R" series BMWs have less than 8cmHg so the gauge should be turned upsidedown.

Which position do I use on a 1999 1100RT, are they really talking about the older "R" series like my old R90?

Sorry to be so anal however at this age I do like to do my homework before I start anything. Wish I had been this careful when I got married at 21.

Happy Wanderer

I used the Morgan Carbtune right side up on my '96 RT. Works very well indeed. She's gone now but replaced with a '00 RT. I expect no difference since it's the same motor as is yours. Don't forget to install the baffles as per the assembly instructions or the readings will jump around too much.

Archived