IGNORED

R1200RT Oil

ktap

I went to bike week in Daytona this year and rode about 1,000 miles. Had some oil usage ( R1200RT has about 3,000 miles on it). I did not have any BMW oil and no where to get any--I used Vol. 20w50 conventional. What have you been doing in this situation and what oil is best when BMW Oil is not available? The closest BMW Shop where I live is a 3 hr. ride.

Thanks

Hi Ktap, welcome to the forum.

Your bike is a 1200, and so you should post this in the hexhead forum. However, as RickB has intimated, any thread regarding oil is almost a waste of time because, so many users have passionate (but often with no grounding) opinions on what is required. If you refer to your owners handbook, it gives a chart of acceptable oil requirements dependent mainly on ambient temperatures. If you have selected an oil from within that criteria, you will be fine (and you are).

Chill, and try not to get to het up with all the possible responses. (let your manual be your guide).

Andy

Thanks AndyS--Just noticed that my first post was in the incorrect location--SORRY--RickB your animations are so helpful. I will try to remove this post.

Don't worry about so-called BMW oil. From what I've seen, the only country in which you're likely to find BMW-branded oil is the U.S. As already mentioned, use any quality oil that meets the criteria (specs and viscosity) listed in your Rider's Manual.

You'll get lots of varying opinions on this issue, but one absolute Truth is that you do not have to use "BMW oil" from the dealer.

Jay

What they all have said. Don't take offense from RickB, I'm sure he just meant to make fun at the fact that every so often we engage in an oil thread, which after much hashing and rehashing arrives at no specific conclusion.

I've used Castrol GTX 20W-50 mineral oil, in both my RT's since 2000, no problem ever arose from this. The only exception was when I was given 4 qts of BMW by a good friend who traded his RT in for a K-GT, and thus needed different oil. The bike didn't puke it, so it must've been OK too.

The best advise I ever heard about oil is: "Just make sure it's the right viscosity and enough of it"

THANKS BMWSportTouring for moving my thread.

I think I am going with the Castrol GTX--it has always worked for me in the past-- it is always good to hear what others are doing--something may have changed. Thanks ktap191

Ktap, I apologize. As Polo said, I meant no offense. Talking about oil here can be like talking about religion or politics; some folks have pretty strong and passionate opinions... Welcome to the fold.

RickB your animations are so helpful..

Rick means no malice. This site is brilliant for containing unruly behaviour and rick was just waiting for what was inevitably going to follow.

Stick around and enjoy the company here...well at least it's good company on the oilhead forum (it's the class of people - don't you know)!

:-}

Andy

aggieengineer
You'll get lots of varying opinions on this issue, but one absolute Truth is that you do not have to use "BMW oil" from the dealer.

Jay

Just think of all those poor folks you're going to put out of work at the BMW oil refinery, not to mention the roughnecks on the BMW oil rigs! ;)

Nice n Easy Rider

In a pinch I found some motorcycle oil at AutoZone that met the BMW specs. I think it was Valvoline and it wasn't in the same section as the automobile oils so I had to ask.

Now listen up everyone – there are indeed lots of opinions on the right or wrong oil, but there is one factor about your oil choice that I can speak with absolute authority on that you must, I repeat must comply with...

You must...

MUST use an oil that is...

slippery.

Now listen up everyone – there are indeed lots of opinions on the right or wrong oil, but there is one factor about your oil choice that I can speak with absolute authority on that you must, I repeat must comply with...

You must...

MUST use an oil that is...

slippery.

Exactly!

So much for this thread--No one else needs to put themselves out with this nonsense---Please excuse me for the thread-I'll move on to another site--Let us not beat this dead horse--Thanks RickB(no offence taken) Ktap

I'll move on to another site

Oh don’t go away mad. Or even go away. At least not about this. There is a lot of good advice, skills and knowledge here on a lot of things. This subject just isn’t one of them.

Afternoon ktap

Don’t take this thread too seriously, almost every “oil” thread here (or on any motorcycle site) ends up the same. No real consensus and in most cases leaves the original poster more confused than before they asked.

The “official” answer you are looking for is in your riders manual. Even that is so vague that it will more than likely contradict itself if you read all the lines 4 times.

The problem is, about any and all oil of the proper viscosity will work in your motorcycle. That being the case you seldom if ever hear of a BMW motorcycle engine failure from an oil choice.

There are some oil’s that have better anti wear ratings but even that is subjective if it is really needed in a BMW boxer engine.

Basically what you are asking for here is an “opinion” from responders on what oil is best for your motorcycle. Because of the low number of BMW boxer failures there is no real proof that my opinioned XXX oil is any better than Joe Blows opinioned ZZZ brand oil.

If you do your homework you will find that there are some oil’s (brands/types) that have better ZDDP ratings than others, or some have less chance of high heat evaporation, or others yet have better low temperature pour points but bottom line is: without engine failures no way to know if any of that is even needed in a BMW boxer.

A lot of us here have done the homework and are quite specific on OUR OWN oil of choice and the reasons why. That might not be what you are looking for as you and I ride differently in different conditions and have different thoughts on what we expect.

So take the OIL info you got here with a grain of salt and smile a little. As Ken said about any other subject (except tires) will get you very refined and helpful info from some very qualified responders.

It sure beats 20 answers from 20 poster each saying you must use their choice of oil or your engine will blow up in 3 days.

Sometimes no answer is better than 20 unsupported answers.

See how I also beat around the bush and didn’t give you an answer.

If you want to read some other oil threads just look in the archives here, probably 3 days of continuous reading and no one with any actual proof that their oil is any better than my oil is.

Here’s a start---

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586820&page=1

I've been around here for a while, & I've seen more than my share of oil threads. I've seen opinions on brand, on viscosity, on synthetic, on dino, on auto parts store brands, literally on all sorts of oil. But what I haven't seen is what really counts: i.e, the JASO rating.

There's MA, MA-2, SG, SJ, blah blah blah & these are all in different formulations from Castrol to Motul to whomever.

So I say this, from an experienced moto mechanic. Check your moto manual for oil RATING, & go with it. They won't do you wrong.

I went to bike week in Daytona this year and rode about 1,000 miles. Had some oil usage ( R1200RT has about 3,000 miles on it). I did not have any BMW oil and no where to get any--I used Vol. 20w50 conventional. What have you been doing in this situation and what oil is best when BMW Oil is not available? The closest BMW Shop where I live is a 3 hr. ride.

Thanks

So you had the initial break-in service done.

They put X oil in the bike and told you...?

Fairly typical for a Service Dept. to explain Boxer oil consumption, what is Ok, what isn't, etc.

So, in this situation I added a small amount from the oil I carried w/me riding a Boxer that still burned oil.

In your case, since you are moving towards 6,000 miles, I'd just keep oil level consistent and then change it at the proper intervals.

Reading the manual is good.

Asking questions is good.

But getting put off by a reply to an oil thread may not be unless the response is way over the top which none of these have been.

Good luck with the bike.

Paul Mihalka

Not related to type of oil, but to oil consumption and break-in riding. Also check the manual or BMW's break-in recommendations. They want you to ride the bike HARD! After the first service you are free to ride it at any speed/rpm/throttle setting. After 2.000 miles or so find a no traffic open road and and run it a couple of times to full rpm all the way to the rev. limiter. A track event is the best for this. This is the only way to reduce oil consumption.

So much for this thread--No one else needs to put themselves out with this nonsense---Please excuse me for the thread-I'll move on to another site--Let us not beat this dead horse--Thanks RickB(no offence taken) Ktap

Any motorycycle related site, listserv, whatever you're gonna get a similar reaction. the same dead horse has been beat to death all over the internet and responses don't get milder than this.

Archived