IGNORED

It's Rubber Chicken time again!!!

OoPEZoO

Should be, give them a call. If you run into any difficulties, let us know ... but I doubt you will. The group just isn't that large.

Glad to have you join us.

Working on getting a friends bike back together. Any cutoff date for registration or group rates?

Uhhhh.....that might be a question for Jim.

"Paging Jim to the courtesy desk, Jim to the courtesy desk please"

Dig out the contract because I deleted all of the emails you sent me that were cluttering up my inbox

Earlier this month, the hotel had the right to "reclaim" any of our unused reserved block of rooms if they needed them for other reservations. That doesn't mean they necessarily did so. Let's face it, not that may people go to a ski resort in the summer months ... and beside that they have a whole bunch of rooms. So I doubt they have reclaimed any of our block.

Anyone wanting a room should simply call the registration number and request the Rubber Chicken Rendezvous/BMWST rate. If they tell you there's a problem (which I doubt), let Jim or me know. We'll call and get it sorted out.

Jim and I will be in that area this weekend, making sure the route segments are scouted and verified fun!

Sorry guys, took a day off to get the bike ready for the scouting trip this weekend....

What Craig said is correct - in theory the block of rooms has been released but I can tell you there isn't much going on that weekend. (When we were there last year, there were some mountain bikers getting ready for the big race that is the following weekend) So I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

One note of caution is that you may have problems with getting a room on Thursday night - seems there is some convention that is still there on Thursday night.

As Craig said, if you have issues, let me know and I'll put in a call for you.

Jim

I was able to book a room at the "Rubber Chicken" rate without a problem. So count me in and maybe the wife. She's not much of a long distance passenger but she is considering joining me. Is anyone planning on doing a ride on the Cass railroad? I will look forward to meeting you all and making some new friends.

Well Carroll, we're looking forward to meeting you.

We (Terri and me) won't be doing the Cass railroad this time as RCR is just too short a an event, but it's something we'd like to do some time. Perhaps a separate RR trip? There are actually several scenic railroads that operate in WV:

* Cass

* Durbin & Greenbrier Valley

* Potomac Eagle

Well ...

Jim, Terri (my wife), and I just got back from a great weekend of scouting roads, towns, and potential eateries! What great weather we had for it, too!

The winter's cinders and most of the gravel run off from spring showers are now gone from the roads. We had very clear sailing on most of the roads we encountered ... except those roads we were scouting to see if they were gravel or not, and turned out to be gravel. (Don't worry, those gravel roads won't be part of the RCR routes we're preparing, we assure you! Now if your GPS wants to recalculate during your ride and you let it ... well we can't be held responsible for that, now can we?)

We also found a really exceptional place to have a lunch and relax a while on one of the routes. Don't worry, it'll be well identified on that route when we post them. (Now that said, we certainly haven't been able to eat at all the places on all the routes, but we've tried to identify a few likely places to eat on many of the routes. Others you may have to just keep a sharp eye out when you start getting hungry!.)

All that said, be thankful we aren't hosting the event in Marlinton WV, which is where we stayed this past weekend as a base for scouting. Not many food options there ... believe us! That said, we met some really nice riders (BMW riders at that) at the Inn we were staying. Who knows? Perhaps one day they may make an appearance on this website or at one of our events someday. Lots of great people "out there!" It's great to meet more!

dang..another event I can't make not that I finally have a bike again! (almost)

Fathers day and work for the rubber chicken

and surgery recovery for the BRR!

So far my luck ain't hitting on much. But at least I'm back on two wheels (as of this coming tuesday..hopefully so long as all goes as planned)

dang..another event I can't make NOW that I finally have a bike again! (almost)

and surgery recovery for the UN!

So far my luck ain't hitting on much. But at least I'm back on two wheels (as of this coming tuesday..hopefully so long as all goes as planned)

The routes are coming soon. How soon? VEEEEERY soon! (But no sooner than after next weekend, if then.)

Again this year we'll be posting a PDF that contains general lositics information about Snowshoe, as well as written versions of the routes (for those without GPS or just as a back up). That won't be posted until approximately one week before the event.

dang..another event I can't make not that I finally have a bike again! (almost)

and surgery recovery for the BRR!

Too bad you won't be making it, James, but I'm happy to hear you'll be back on 2 wheels soon. We should hook up for a day ride sometime!

Well......due to me not having a bike, and scheduling complications of trying to plan a family vacation......we are out.

Just can't pull it off. You all have fun, ride safe, and take pics. We both have time scheduled off for the UNrally, so hopefully we can still make that happen.

Just buy yourself a short sleeve white shirt and bowtie and show up at the lodge. When anyone pulls up on a motorcycle, tell them that you're valet parking, hand them a numbered slip of paper, and you're good to go for the rest of the day. Good way to check out a variety of bikes.

----

Not a bad idea.......but word has it that I "might" be going to check out a 1200GS on Sunday, and I "might" be taking my checkbook.

So, I still "might" show up solo for a night or two and beg for a place to sleep. We'll see how it goes.

carry on :lurk:

Not a bad idea.......but word has it that I "might" be going to check out a 1200GS on Sunday, and I "might" be taking my checkbook.

So, I still "might" show up solo for a night or two and beg for a place to sleep. We'll see how it goes.

I hope all goes well tomorrow!
Glenn Reed

Soooo, do you have GS now? :lurk:

Agreement has been made, paperwork is "in process".

But no pics, so it didn't happen yet :grin:

Will update the situation on Sat morning

Awesome, almost! :thumbsup: Rumor has it, the chicken would have been very uncomfortable riding lead down in VW. :grin:

Pat

Just out of curiosity who is planning to attend the RCR? Show of hands?

Dave C and I will be at the Inn arriving Thurs.

I'm confident Craig will have the routes out in time to load them up and edit out all the dirt roads and river fords. :grin:

I'm confident Craig will have the routes out in time to load them up and edit out all the dirt roads and river fords. :grin:
Where's the fun in that? Really!

The routes will be posted tonight. The RCR3 Route Info PDF will be posted some time between Fri- Sat this week.

Terri and I will be arriving Thurs about 5:00 pm.

Just out of curiosity who is planning to attend the RCR? Show of hands?

Dave C and I will be at the Inn arriving Thurs.

I'm planning to arrive Thursday and will be rooming with Quinn at the Inn.

Here are the RCR3 route files:

Click Here for RCR3 Route Files in .GDB (zipped)

Click Here for RCR3 Route Files in .GPX (zipped)

They were created using MapSource 11.04 map set.

Below are the Routes by Name - Dist. Obviously, we went with a game theme this year.

Route A. Balderdash – 222 mi

Route B. Chutes & Ladders – 244 mi

Route C. Connect Four – 251 mi

Route D. Mouse Trap – 268 mi

Route E1. Hide & Seek – 116 of 259 mi

Route E2. Hide & Seek – 143 of 259 mi

Route F. Trivial Pursuit – 262 mi

Route G. Red Rover, Red Rover – 273 mi

Route H. Twister – 273 mi

The RCR3 Information PDF will come out in a few more days (after some tidying up). It will contain:

* Basic logistics information for RCR3

* Route directions along with rudimentary maps

* Info about the POI waypoints

I'll post info about importing routes & recalculating tomorrow, to help you ensure the routes recalc as error-free as possible.

Ok, my brother and I have reservations for Friday and Saturday at the bottom of the hill. This is our first BMWST event so we're a bit apprehensive. Do we need to do anything before we arrive? Pre-enter? Swear allegiance? We don't even know the secret handshake! I will have my gps loaded up with those great routes. Thanks for posting those. Until later, adios. Don

Cool, its always great to have some newbies. No special requirements needed. Just show up and enjoy yourselves. We always try to be forward and introduce each other to new people, but sometimes that ends up getting lost in the fish stories due to use only getting to see each other a few times a year. So please, don't be bashfull

Dazzz, welcome aboard! What Keith said pretty much sums it up. It is that simple.

About the only thing additional is that this year we're trying to do an informal get together at Foxfire Grille up on the Mountain for 7:00 pm Saturday night. Nothing catered or pre-paid or reservations neceesary ... just one of those show-up-if-you-wanna type things.

The last two years the restaurant at CVR was not really conducive to getting together, because it had very little selection and was overpriced for what you got. Jim , Tina, Terri, and I ate at Foxfire last summer while scouting Snowshoe. Very decent smoked meats, sammiches (served all day long), & larger entrees available after 5:00 ... and a very nice bar and view to boot! All that at Ruby Tuesday's prices. So, it seemed a good idea for this year.

Bringing 2 - Paul (R1200RT) and Becky (R1100S) from Wilmington NC area.

Arriving Ths at main lodge, see you Sat night or sooner.

Thanks for posting the routes. Got em downloaded but haven't had a chance to examine them yet. Question- are they all paved road routes or are some "GS only" sections in some of them?

aterry1067

If all goes well, I will be there sometime Friday with reservations at the Inn for Friday and Saturday. My first BMWST event as well. Thanks for the routes Craig.

The routes are all paved roads this year - unless the West Virginia Dept of Transportation decides to work on a road. Craig and I spent time trying to check as many of them as we could but we won't guarantee anything. I mean, this IS the Rubber Chicken!

Jim

Dazzz -

We'll have to hook up for the trip home and see if we can ride together. I'll be heading back to Columbus so we should be able to ride at least part way togther.

Jim

Question- are they all paved road routes or are some "GS only" sections in some of them?

OK, this is a valid question. I have addressed it in the Route Info Packet, which I'm still editing and will be another day or two before I finish, so I think I'll answer this now.

There are no gravel segments in the routes this year! There is however one section of Route H. Twister - 173 mi that neither Jim nor I got to scout this year (and don't believe we've ever been on before). The segment I'm talking about is a 7-mi section of Cr-1 / Dille-Widen Rd proceeding West from US 19 in Birch River WV.

Why didn't we not scout it? Well, let's just say it had something to do with one of us going down the wrong road, and that person having to ride a 4.5 mi section of gravel road that wasn't even supposed to be on the route! [Don't worry, I already apologized to Jim for sending him down the wrong road ... something I'm sure he'll not get over anytime soon!] :rofl:

Anyway, according to WVDOT, that 7-mi section of Cr-1 / Dille-Widen Rd is paved with asphalt, not even that bituminous pavement they like so much on back roads in WV, and therefore isn't gravel/dirt either. But we're not the one's saying that ... WVDOT is. We're just admitting we didn't ride that section.

Other than that, we've traversed all these roads over the last several years. In fact, we have fewer back roads in these routes than in previous RCRs. That's simply because there are more choices available to us from Snowshoe - whereas, from Canaan we had to try to find alternate roads or all the routes would have been too similar.

It's looking like were going to have somewhere between 15-20 folks there. Pretty much out usual numbers though it looks like we have quite a few new folk this year. Excellent! I'm really getting psyched.

RT_Jim:

Sounds good to me. Maybe we can take whichever Rubber Chicken route sends us back up north the farthest. My old brother Ron has a 2005 R100RT with about 110K miles. He can't hear well and usually does not talk during the day until he has a drink in the evening. Then he makes up for it. Also we have a couple friends who are making noises like they might like to join us. I just graduated from airheads and K-bikes. This R1150RT is way more bike than that first Harley back in 1965. We are both looking forward to that weekend. Until later, Don

By the way, I told Ron the cost of pre-entry was his birthday present and he would learn the secret handshake when he arrived.

Dazzz -

Sounds like you and your brother will fit right in with the rest of this group. We all enjoy an adult beverage in the evening, followed shortly by lots of tales.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Jim

a 4.5 mi section of gravel road that wasn't even supposed to be on the route!

Then why did you send me on it?! :lurk::wave:

Actually, it wasn't the gravel that was the issue, it was the pot holes large enough to swallow a small child...... :dopeslap:

As Craig said, there are some really good routes this year so I think everyone is going to be very happy.

Jim

I sent you on it so you'd have something to give me grief about! Why else? :rofl:

And it was one heck of a lot less gravel and pot holes than we hit scouting two years ago, wasn't it? I mean 4.5 miles compared to 16 miles straight, and up a mountainside to boot? So what are you crying about? :cry::rofl:

Actually, that's what happens when someone (in this case me) does a quickie route ... ya know, just throws a few points in here and there. It looks good at the 20 mile scale in MapSource!

Don't worry, folks. Our RCR routes don't have any of those sorts of things in them. However don't forget to Recalculate them in MapSource.

I also recommend everyone use similar Preferences so your Preferences don't screw them up either!

The RCR3 routes were produced with the following setting on the Preferences Routing Tab:

* Route Style: Use Auto-Routing

* Try to Avoid: All deselected (blank)

* Calculation Style: Faster Time

* Road Selection: One position left of center, towards Prefer Minor Roads.

Craig,

You might as well admit it, you like gravel roads. I rode with you at the BRR; where did we end up.......one lane gravel switchbacks!

Do I have to volunteer to lead a ride so you guys actually have something to bitch about?
You'll notice, I didn't go with you on your route scouting segments for RCRI, when you did all those water crossings. I'm not into water crossing at all.
Craig,

You might as well admit it, you like gravel roads. I rode with you at the BRR; where did we end up.......one lane gravel switchbacks!

Not guilty, your honor! Just because I created a route that I didn't get to preflight doesn't mean I like gravel switchbacks ... especially going downhill with ABS still activated!

The rest of the route did rock though, didn't it?!

No more gravel, No more gravel! Seeing that I just did a leaping dismount of my GS in gravel, NO MORE GRAVEL!! Hey I think I will make this!! But no more gravel!!

Do I have to volunteer to lead a ride so you guys actually have something to bitch about?
You'll notice, I didn't go with you on your route scouting segments for RCRI, when you did all those water crossings. I'm not into water crossing at all.

Neither am I, but I figured it was a lot easier than going back through the crap I already went through :rofl:

No, just showing up without incident would be a nice change. :grin:

Thanks for the quick answer to my routes question.

Those of you who noticed Becky's R1100S at BRR7 doing it's "Harley imitation" with no muffler (or license plate but that's another story) will miss it this time. Its actually got a muffler back on.

No, just showing up without incident would be a nice change. :grin:

Guess I deserve that one. I'll see what I can do.

Archived