IGNORED

It's Rubber Chicken time again!!!

OoPEZoO

3 years and counting. We (TyTass, RT_Jim, and I) would like to bring you the RCR (Rubber Chicken Rendezvous) III. While this really has nothing to do with rubber chickens, it does have a lot to do with meeting up with old and new friends for some great riding.........preferably somewhere in the higher elevations of the Mid-Atlantic as an attempt to beat the heat. Details for this year are as follows.

When: Friday, June 17th - Sunday, June 19th 2011

Where: Snowshoe Mountain Resort Snowshoe, WV

For reservations, please call the resort at 1-877-441-4386

The group reservation name is under "Rubber Chicken Rendezvous"

Due to the vast lodging options available at Snowshoe, we decided to take advantage and make a little of everything available. Rates are as follows

The Inn at Snowshoe

Unit Descriptions: The Inn at Snowshoe offers standard hotel, one bedroom, and two bedroom units located at the base of Snowshoe Mountain. The Inn at Snowshoe is six miles from the slopes and Village at Snowshoe. This property has been a favorite of skiers for decades. It offers all the amenities you need in one location at very reasonable prices. The Inn is a full service hotel with a host of amenities including: Indoor Pool, Jacuzzi and Exercise Room, Arcade, Restaurant and Bar, Full Service Front Desk and Gift Shop.

Please note: Standard rooms at the Inn at Snowshoe are non-cooking rooms. All standard rooms and the lobby are non-smoking. Food is available at the Inn at Snowshoe at Brandi's Restaurant as well as at Brandi's Bar. Complimentary breakfast is also included for rooms at the Inn. Wireless Internet access is available in the lobby

All rooms have 2 double beds and are charged as follows

SINGLE occupancy $74.00 per night

DOUBLE occupancy $79.00 per night

TRIPLE occupancy $84.00 per night

QUAD occupancy $89.00 per night

InnAtSnowshoe.jpg

The Rimfire Lodge

Unit Types: Studio (sleeps 2 - 4), one (sleep 2 - 4) and two (sleep 4 - 6) bedroom condos

Unit Descriptions: Studio, one and two bedroom units located in the heart of Snowshoe's Village. Units offer spectacular western vistas and village plaza views. Adjacent to variety of restaurants and shops. All units reserved have full kitchens; Internet connections and full daily maid service.

Complex Features: Outdoor hot tubs, gas fireplaces, exercise room, sauna, vending and laundry facilities, underground parking and air conditioning.

Studio (1 night) $145.00 per night

Studio (2+ nights) $135.00 per night

One Bedroom (1 night) $149.00 per night

One Bedroom (2+ nights) $159.00 per night

Two Bedrooms (1 night) $209.00 per night

Two Bedrooms (2+ nights) $199.00 per night

Rimfire_LivingRoom.jpg

Expedition Station

Unit Types: Junior Studios (with & without a sleeper sofa - sleeps 2 - 4), and Two Bedroom Condo (sleeps 4 - 6)

Unit Descriptions: Expedition Station's contemporary styling offers a completely new lodging alternative for guest at Snowshoe. Wired Internet access is available. All units are air conditioned, and are equipped with an efficiency kitchens.

Junior Studio (1 night) $119.00 per night

Junior Studio (2+ nights) $114.00 per night

2 Bedroom Condo (1 night) $205.00 per night

2 Bedroom Condo (2+ nights) $195.00 per night

ExpeditionStation_Bedroom1.jpg

*Applicable West Virginia sales tax of 6% and county "Lets screw the tourists" lodging tax (also 6%) will be added to the costs listed above.

**GUESTS MAY CHECK IN ANYTIME AFTER 9:00AM (DAY OF ARRIVAL) BUT OCCUPANCY OF ROOMS CANNOT BE GUARANTEED UNTIL 5:00PM. CHECK OUT IS AT 11:00AM.

***Cancellations can be made up till 48 hours before your arrival date. Anything later than that will cost you one nights lodging cost.

Also, regardless of which rooms you decide on, you have full access to the whole resort. Plus our room rates are good for +/- 3 days in either direction from our planned dates, so feel free to take advantage to extent your stay or show up early. There is a ton of stuff to see and do around the resort and surrounding area.

Once again, this is being billed as an open ended event with little to no structure and hopefully enough options to accommodate everyone. Come and go as you please, socialize, be a hermit, ride, don't ride, watch the wildlife, dodge the wildlife, go hiking, its totally up to you. We had a nice turn out for the last two events, and hope to keep that going. If you have specific questions........please feel free to contact Craig and Jim :rofl:

Hi folks,

We decided to move the event an hour south (from Canaan Valley) to:

- be centrally located, allowing for easier access to the best twisties West Virgina has (wait 'till you see the event routes)!

- to provide more lodging, eating, and of course drinking options (esp. compared to Canaan)

- and as Keith pointed out, to be at the highest posible elevations (nearly 5000') to keep the evenings cool - as this is a summer solstice event

- as well as just to be some place different!

We're hoping to see at least some of the usual (or should I say unusual) crowd there, but perhaps the new venue will bring a few new folks.

No get together is planned at this writing, but we're looking to coordinate some sort of get together for Saturday night (if only one of the restaurants/brewhouses at the top of the mountain). Did I hear someone say "Party in Keith's room?" :rofl:

Put the date on your calendar now.

Awww...Father's Day....hmmm....maybe I can convince the family unit that dad doesn't need a shirt/tie/dinner out but a trip to WV....

Jim,

Bring the family and they can give you your tie and take you to dinner there!

Paul,

Come Sat night and have dinner with us Sunday morn!

Paul Mihalka
Jim,

Bring the family and they can give you your tie and take you to dinner there!

Paul,

Come Sat night and have dinner with us Sunday morn!

Sorry, won't work. Saturday is now the only day I work and I don't want to skip too many.

Once again work rears it's ugly head and I'll miss the RCR. Had a great time with the first one. Great location and great roads. Hope to see some of you at the BRR and the UN

Have fun

first one I will miss. I purchased a dual sport, a BMW 450x, and so I am going to a dual sport rally the previous weekend. Cannot take two Friday's off in a row, sorry.

Randy ... I know how that is. Can only miss just so much work.

Alan ... I hope you can make it. Really great roads are very nearby. Any chance Deb will be there?

Matt ... it would be fabulous if you could make it for 2 reasons: 1) it's be great to see you there, and 2) the new job would already have worked out!

Roger ... It'll be great having you back!

Come on Alan, you can convince Deb - this is the Colorado of the East! We're staying in a great place with a really nice pool and spa (if she doesn't want to ride) and there are lots of options for food including a Starbucks!!!

Just the idea of a Starbucks should convince her!

Jim

Since Max's cage is fixed, he wants to come so we just have to check our schedules. It's a slight possibility that I run home to IL for the weekend for a FIVE :rofl: year HS reunion. IL or WV?? hmmmm

Come on Alan, you can convince Deb - this is the Colorado of the East! We're staying in a great place with a really nice pool and spa (if she doesn't want to ride) and there are lots of options for food including a Starbucks!!!

Jim

you know, I read that quote while scouring the Snowshoe website. I couldn't bring myself to include it in the announcement. My only response is that anyone who believes that statement has never actually been to Colorado........that goes for riding motorcycle, taking in the views, or skiing. I mean, its a great area but its pure marketing BS to even compare the two. :P

Paul Mihalka

Jim

you know, I read that quote while scouring the Snowshoe website. I couldn't bring myself to include it in the announcement. My only response is that anyone who believes that statement has never actually been to Colorado........that goes for riding motorcycle, taking in the views, or skiing. I mean, its a great area but its pure marketing BS to even compare the two. :P

Colorado and the West vs. West Virginia and the East: It is not a matter of comparing but of differentiating. In the West, from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific, it has the most spectacular scenery and some amazingly beautiful roads. OTOH the whole Appalachian ridge, from Maryland/West Virginia to North Carolina/Tennessee offers a density of great technical riding roads unmatched in the West. Here in the East the rides you can put together twisting and turning all day without much exceeding 70 mph is unmatched. In the West you might do less actual riding because of all the stops to take pictures :)

I'm happy to live in one part and visit the other...

:lurk: I'm not sure about Father's Day Weekend. If it shapes up that Dad won't care either way then I am going to plan on this weekend. But, I have to say that I don't want to miss any celebration with dear Dad.

This is a really easy to get to location - for me - nothing but fun between here and there!

Pack up Max and bring him to his favorite event, we'd all love to see him again!

And we won't bug you about how many years its been since you graduated. Too much. At least in the beginning.... :grin:

You can save money on gas by only riding to WV, don't forget about that.

And of course you HAVE to bring your female rubber chicken - where else can you bring her and display her proudly?

And best of all - there is a STARBUCK'S!!!! :clap:

Well, of course you must make you choices re: Father's Day. If it works for you to show up at RCR3, we'd be happy to see you again!

Yes ... the previous 2 years we were at Canaan Valley WV. Also a ski resort but not as nice with fewer room options and almost no eating options.

And though they aren't far from each other, being at Snowshoe (an hour south) is smack dab in the middle of great twisties and sweepers.

Just a few hours up I-64 (not so much fun), then US-250 (tons o' fun), SR28, and then SR66 (again, more fun) and your there. Come join us!

What planning! The same weekend as my Mother-in-law's 90th birthday. Guess who wins? I'll just have to try to be extra-annoying at the BRR.

Still I want to copy the routes and will use the info for a later, tribute weekend visit. Nothing like higher elevations to escape the muggy lowlands in Summer.

----

Still I want to copy the routes and will use the info for a later, tribute weekend visit. Nothing like higher elevations to escape the muggy lowlands in Summer.
I'll bet you do, but that'll cost you beers! :grin:

In. Wish I could make the BRR, but that pesky work thing; gets in the way of life sometimes. Made the reservations for RCR though, and looking forward to it.

I was hoping to be able to make this, but I just can't get the time off in June. The area sounds great, though...any chance I could get a copy of the routes in case I can make it there a little later in the year?

Jim

Good news. Well, for me anyway. I've got a pass on my Mother-in-law's birthday and can make the Rendevous. I did have to promise to go to her next 90th birthday party.

So I'm registered and looking for a roommate for Thursday through Saturday nights.

----

In making my reservations, I found a minor typo in the original announcement (despite having missed it when Keith sent it to me to double-check just before putting out the initial announcement).

For the Rimfire Lodge, the rates for the One Bedroom condos were backwards for the 1 and 2 night stays (2 nights and above should read $10 cheaper - which makes sense). Anyway, it's fixed below.

Probably obvious to those who've already compared rates or made reservations for Rimfire, but I thought I'd admit our error for anyone else planning on Rimfire but have yet to make a reservation.

Anyway, Terri and I are IN - with reservations made!

The Rimfire Lodge

Unit Types: Studio (sleeps 2 - 4), one (sleep 2 - 4) and two (sleep 4 - 6) bedroom condos

Unit Descriptions: Studio, one and two bedroom units located in the heart of Snowshoe's Village. Units offer spectacular western vistas and village plaza views. Adjacent to variety of restaurants and shops. All units reserved have full kitchens; Internet connections and full daily maid service.

Complex Features: Outdoor hot tubs, gas fireplaces, exercise room, sauna, vending and laundry facilities, underground parking and air conditioning.

Studio (1 night) $145.00 per night

Studio (2+ nights) $135.00 per night

One Bedroom (1 night) $159.00 per night

One Bedroom (2+ nights) $149.00 per night

Two Bedrooms (1 night) $209.00 per night

Two Bedrooms (2+ nights) $199.00 per night

Rimfire_LivingRoom.jpg

:

• 2 weeks later...
DaveCinNO

Count me IN! I'll have to figure out how to reschedule dad's day but did that last year with no problem. This is a great rally and riding country and wouldn't miss it.

Now if Keith can get his steed fixed in time...

Dave

Workin on it, but most likely I'll be showing up in a car and turning it into a family summer vacation instead of a weekend motorcycle get away.

SockMonkey

Thinking about joining the group for this one.... I've been part of several BRR, is this kinda the same thing? How many riders usually participate? Not that it matters as far as me coming... Been on those WV roads before and they are a treat. Is there a group dinner planned or are we on our own?.... It's been a while since I've joined an event due to job situation... so... I'm really looking forward to this one...

Sure, its kinda the same thing. We meet up someplace cool, ride our butts off, and hang around at the hotel in the evening telling fish stories. Its very relaxed, and everyone kinda does their own thing. Last year a group of us went and took a guided tour of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. That started as a casual conversation and people just decided like it was a cool idea. No pre-planning, just spur of the moment. This is only our 3rd RCR, and we only do it once a year versus the BRR crew doing it spring and fall. I don't recall how many people we had turn out last year, but I would say we have been in the ballpark of 12-15 people. We end up with a little smaller group, but it is also usually a busy time of year for people (family vacations, UNrallys, and such). We haven't done any sort of organized group dinner. The main reason is because of the smaller numbers making it difficult to make it cost effective. So far we have just made informal plans for everyone to meet up for dinner on Saturday night. Some join in, some do their own thing.

So far, I don't think we have scared anyone away permanently. :grin:

SockMonkey

sounds good. I am going to try my best to be a part of this one... the ride to and from the resort from home should be nice... the rest is just gravy... like biscuts and gravy...mmmmm

The actual number of attendees (at least one day) were:

RCR1 = 24

RCR2 = 18

But like Keith said, we don't really care how many show. We will be holding the event anyway. Too many good roads not to!

FYI - I called to make my reservations and it turns out there is a convention at the resort during the week so if you're planning to arrive early (Thursday night or before), rooms are slightly harder to get.

Jim

SockMonkey

Reservations made!!!!!! Friday-Sunday nights... SWMBO is coming as well. Now I finally have something to look forward to....The SockMonkey will be in ATGATT... well if you consider a wool sock "gear" he will be ready...

See you all there!!!!!

Uhhhh.....that might be a question for Jim.

"Paging Jim to the courtesy desk, Jim to the courtesy desk please"

Dig out the contract because I deleted all of the emails you sent me that were cluttering up my inbox :grin:

Archived