IGNORED

Learn To Wheelie With Chris Pfeiffer

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
Chris Pfeiffer is a world class stunter and BMW spokesman; you’d think that the two would be mutually exclusive, since BMW is a respectable motorcycle brand known for their slow but reliable sport-touring bikes. At least they used to be, until the boys from Berlin launched the S1000 RR, proving that Germany can build a sportbike capable of kicking sand in the face of the Japanese. They followed this act with the hoon-flavored F800 R “urban bike”; in other words, a bike designed for things like wheelies, stoppies and general disregard of traffic laws. In the video below, Chris Pfeiffer uses his heavily modified F650 to teach us how to do wheelies, after an eleven second disclaimer from BMW telling us not to try this at home, and especially not in a parking garage filled with concrete pillars.

Wheelies here

Get a big inline 4, get rolling, roll off the throttle to let the suspension settle, then WHACK IT. It will come up slowly.. work on throttle control..

Modern 4 bangers do this with ease.. once you've worked this out, and are comfy on one wheel, then go to clutch wheelies..

If you hit it hard enough, I hear a GS will do a power wheelie, but its easier with the clutch.

DISCLAIMER: Don't Try This At Home.. you all are too old, too brittle, and ride BMW's. If you are wearing a Hi-Viz suit, take it off, you don't want to your neighbors to see you sprawled out on the pavement...

;-)

My 12GS will power wheelie pretty easily (I'm a big chicken about them even though I do them...) and if I keep the power on while upshifting fast I can lift the front in 2nd-3rd gears, and get the head to shake in 4th gear.

The 800R is a willing accomplice to those who desire to hoon though

I too miss my KTM 530excr....it would stand up on the rear wheel in second or 3rd gear with a lite tap of the clutch and a blip of the throttle and with a little throttle control you could ride a wheelie thru all 6 gears for blocks.

I tried them on my RT when I first got it but soon realized my clutch was too toasted get it up very high....and yes the clutch was toasted BEFORE and not because OF doing wheelies.

Archived