IGNORED

Fuel Filter Replacement

Mark K

Fuel Filter Service  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

szurszewski

I'm even looking forward to the next replacement interval to roll around...because then I can fix the fuel gauge tube thing that imploded when the evap system got clogged up last summer. I have the same RT (color and all...sigh...) as the OP and it's the first bike I ever had with a fuel gauge - didn't know I'd miss it until it was gone...

Morning Mark

You missed one choice on your survey.

You need one that says “only change when the old one plugs up”

Personally I never change a perfectly good fuel filter when there is nothing wrong with the fuel flow on my old one. I just ride the bike at top speed and if it will still pull the same top speed as always then the filter is flowing fine.

...I just ride the bike at top speed and if it will still pull the same top speed as always then the filter is flowing fine.

Yes officer, I fully aware that I was doing 120mph, but it is a required diagnostic/maintenance procedure.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, you need a choice that involces externalizing the filter.

I have considered that, Jim, but you're one step ahead of me. If I'm not sold on the need to replace it in the first place, I'm not inclined to do the mod.

Did the external filter the month I bought the bike. Didn't make sense to leave it in the tank. External mounting was too easy to not do.

Does the external location for the fuel filter in Lentini's photos work for the RTs? Just wondering if the plastic causes issues. Would be interested in knowing where someone w/ a 1100 RT put the filter.

I'm with DR. my tick box would be, replaces when it's knackered.

However I am not with SKYGZR, that is work for works sake. On the very occasional time you NEED to change the filter, then the work required to get into the tank is no great shakes, HOWEVER the advantages are huge, because you can drain the tank completely to KNOW you don't have water in there. PLUS you can clean out onay debris and clean the gauze crap catcher at the same time. SO, for me anyway, I'd rather get in there and get it really cleaned out.

Andy

Yeah, you need a choice that involces externalizing the filter.

I have considered that, Jim, but you're one step ahead of me. If I'm not sold on the need to replace it in the first place, I'm not inclined to do the mod.

Here's the issue. It may clog some day. One tank of bad gas will do it. It happened to me. If your filter is in the tank it's a nearly-impossible roadside repair. If it's external it's a 10 minute affair.

So you can externalize it and forget it. If it never clogs, no biggie. If it clogs some day, huge win for you.

Peter Parts

I guess somebody should speak up for the other side: perilous to fool with your fuel plumbing. But would your bike be any more a fire hazard than all bikes of yesteryear - probably not... if that is your standard today.

Depends on where you live. If you buy gas from reputable places in civilized countries, I'd guess you'd have to change the filter every 100,000 miles, if that often. Do the math to figure how small the hourly flow has to be at, say, 60 mph and 40 miles per gallon.

But judging by how often it is nominated as the cause of all kinds of problems on web forums, maybe every 100 miles.

Ben

cold spell past - normal spring weather ahead tomorrow

But judging by how often it is nominated as the cause of all kinds of problems on web forums, maybe every 100 miles.

Laugh! I like your thinking on this one :grin: :-J

Does the external location for the fuel filter in Lentini's photos work for the RTs? Just wondering if the plastic causes issues. Would be interested in knowing where someone w/ a 1100 RT put the filter.

That is where I put my filter for about a month or two, as you stated there is an issue with the plastic, there in my opinion, not enough space, so as I posted above mine in now by the rear shock adjuster.

I guess somebody should speak up for the other side: perilous to fool with your fuel plumbing. But would your bike be any more a fire hazard than all bikes of yesteryear - probably not... if that is your standard today.

Depends on where you live. If you buy gas from reputable places in civilized countries, I'd guess you'd have to change the filter every 100,000 miles, if that often. Do the math to figure how small the hourly flow has to be at, say, 60 mph and 40 miles per gallon.

Ben

cold spell past - normal spring weather ahead tomorrow

You have a valid point. Mine clogged about 100 miles north of Vegas on a 115 degree day. I'd happily watch it burn to the ground than go through that again. YMMV.

Archived