IGNORED

Sure, it's your car and your money and you can do anything you want, but...

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

I wouldn't do that to a $2.9mil car, especially Bugatti Veyron Chassis # 1

bugatti_veyron_gs_crash.jpg

Another...

veyron-crash.jpg

...or,

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Hmmm. All that front end damage... Maybe people don't realize long it takes to stop from some of those speeds.

I bet every Veyron owner has some sort of scandal, crime or morals background. Even if I had the money, such cars would not be on my must have list. All purchased for the wrong reasons with money illegally, immorally or improperly obtained. As we can see, perceived wealth does not imply you have driving skills.

One recently sold on Barrett-Jackson and it ended in scandal..for half the price of new.

Dennis Andress

With the same line of thought that says we don't get any extra points for leaving behind a undamaged and healthy body when we check out; why would you own one of these things and not wring everything you can out of it? And that means taking it to the track.

I bet every Veyron owner has some sort of scandal, crime or morals background. Even if I had the money, such cars would not be on my must have list. All purchased for the wrong reasons with money illegally, immorally or improperly obtained. As we can see, perceived wealth does not imply you have driving skills.

One recently sold on Barrett-Jackson and it ended in scandal..for half the price of new.

That's the way I feel about harley davidson's.

CoarsegoldKid

Never use a cell phone while driving. I think there is mention of this in the V's owner's manual. Give me a moment and I'll find the page.

John Ranalletta
Never use a cell phone while driving. I think there is mention of this in the V's owner's manual. Give me a moment and I'll find the page.
Bugatti's still using paper manuals? That's so, so yesterday!

hyundai-equus.jpg

I seriously doubt people are buying these cars in order to crash them. They're impractical, attention-grabbing toys and you see the same behavior up and down the economic scale. It's just that crashing the fastest car in the world tends to turn more heads.

Good thing people here show such superior judgment.

I bet every Veyron owner has some sort of scandal, crime or morals background. .........All purchased for the wrong reasons with money illegally, immorally or improperly obtained.

Gosh, what makes you say all that, Bob?

I'd be sick to my stomach, for a long time, if I ruined such a car. I knew a guy who had 13 fabulous cars, one after the other, before he reached the age of 25. He wrecked every one of them. It didn't bother him.

For me, his attitude was a turn off, but I sure loved driving some of the cars before he totaled them. :)

John Ranalletta
I'd be sick to my stomach, for a long time, if I ruined such a car.
You mean, like
, who mashed passenger side wheels of a new Ferrari during a press ride.

Warning: F bombs

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Those cars are so ugly I wouldn't be surprised if they crashed themselves.

I bet that wouldn't stop you from taking one for a spin if someone offered...

I'd be sick to my stomach, for a long time, if I ruined such a car.
You mean, like
, who mashed passenger side wheels of a new Ferrari during a press ride.

Warning: F bombs

He's young to be blacklisted, but oh well :dopeslap:

I seriously doubt people are buying these cars in order to crash them. They're impractical, attention-grabbing toys and you see the same behavior up and down the economic scale. It's just that crashing the fastest car in the world tends to turn more heads.

Good thing people here show such superior judgment.

Some people do intentionally destroy them.

stills of the destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeFXfWUJ4g&feature=related

I bet every Veyron owner has some sort of scandal, crime or morals background. .........All purchased for the wrong reasons with money illegally, immorally or improperly obtained.

Gosh, what makes you say all that, Bob?

I'd be sick to my stomach, for a long time, if I ruined such a car. I knew a guy who had 13 fabulous cars, one after the other, before he reached the age of 25. He wrecked every one of them. It didn't bother him.

For me, his attitude was a turn off, but I sure loved driving some of the cars before he totaled them. :)

I am obviously using a broad brush to paint people who spend 1.5 million dollars on a car. Generally however, I find such people are reclusive, eccentric, obnoxious and conceited. That much money was either inherited, made in professional sports, won during gambling, earned while illegal stuff was sold and bought, profited illegally from investment schemes, earned in the entertainment industry and just outright stolen. The access to unlimited wealth corrupts morals, character and values. The Seven Deadly Sins no doubt applies here.

Occasionally someone works hard and earned the wealth. Bill Gates/Steve Jobs comes to mind. But they are low profile, honorable men. I don't see either buying a Veyron.

I am obviously using a broad brush to paint people who spend 1.5 million dollars on a car. Generally however, I find such people are reclusive, eccentric, obnoxious and conceited. That much money was either inherited, made in professional sports, won during gambling, earned while illegal stuff was sold and bought, profited illegally from investment schemes, earned in the entertainment industry and just outright stolen.

My problem is that I don't personally know these people the way you do, so I have to rely on your opinion.

Paul Mihalka

"Bill Gates/Steve Jobs comes to mind. But they are low profile, honorable men. I don't see either buying a Veyron"

And if they do, they deserve it.

Those cars are so ugly I wouldn't be surprised if they crashed themselves.

I bet that wouldn't stop you from taking one for a spin if someone offered...

No, it sure wouldn't. But I am surprised at how unattractive Veyrons are.

10048-2006-Bugatti-Veyron.jpg

Sorry, I just don't get it. I guess as long as something, regardless of what it is, is the most expensive, certain people feel compelled to buy it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
No, it sure wouldn't. But I am surprised at how unattractive Veyrons are.

10048-2006-Bugatti-Veyron.jpg

Sorry, I just don't get it. I guess as long as something, regardless of what it is, is the most expensive, certain people feel compelled to buy it.

I recall hearing the same complaints about the Lamborghini Countach back in the '80's:

800px-Countachgold.jpg

One reviewer said "this is what happens when the engineers win out over the stylists." Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, but the Countach sure performed well for its time.

Likewise, the Veyron certainly ain't the prettiest out there, but it's hard to argue with its performance. Kind of useless for weekend autocross in a small parking lot, but if you get it out on a track, it'd be a hoot.

Some people do intentionally destroy them.

stills of the destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeFXfWUJ4g&feature=related

Thanks for posting that. It rather shows that for some people, this kind of car isn't all that precious. It's just a car. And it's not that the guy bought a Gallardo with the intent of trashing it but that he didn't mind trashing it to make a point. That impulse is something we've heard on this board as well when a BMW dealer or BMWNA hasn't performed as we had hoped.

Reminds me of an old adage about Corvettes, which I'll paraphrase here.

Guys who buy a Veyron, NEED a Veyron.

Would I like to drive one? Sure. Would I want to own one, even if given to me? No. I don't have time to waste trying to deliberately impress the impressionable. I'd rather exceed the expectations of those I've chosen to count on me.

Reminds me of an old adage about Corvettes, which I'll paraphrase here.

Guys who buy a Veyron, NEED a Veyron.

Would I like to drive one? Sure. Would I want to own one, even if given to me? No. I don't have time to waste trying to deliberately impress the impressionable. I'd rather exceed the expectations of those I've chosen to count on me.

Well said. Reminds me of a millionaire friend of mine. He chooses to drive a 10 year old Ford Focus. Nice guy who wears blue jeans and t-shirts. Nothing pretentious.

Corvette owners? Old farts who have libido trouble. Corvette becomes a compensation tool...generally speaking of course.

Joe Frickin' Friday
This isn't "pretty" either, but function matters.

SR-71A_04.jpg

I happen to like the looks of that particular plane; it's badass.

However, that particular photo looks 'shopped, which I hate. Better:

764px-Sr71_1.jpg

765px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

Bob, I'm not sure the Veyron looks any better than a 1200RT, but it surely doesn't look much worse...

Notice the fuel leaking from the wing tanks on the SR-71. A normal condition due the heat expansion of metals caused by supersonic flight.

beemerman2k

You guys are cold blooded, picking on the R1200RT like that :rofl:

I love the looks of both the R1200RT (It's grown on me), and that SR-71 Black Bird. Honda wishes their CBR1100XX could mimic the essence of this jet.

Gee, I've been really wanting a Corvette lately, too. Saw one today and thought, "bbbbbadasss!" Does look like it would be a real PITA to get in and out of as it sits so darn low! So I'd probably compromise and get a Dodge Caravan - Sport :grin:

I am obviously using a broad brush to paint people who spend 1.5 million dollars on a car. Generally however, I find such people are reclusive, eccentric, obnoxious and conceited. That much money was either inherited, made in professional sports, won during gambling, earned while illegal stuff was sold and bought, profited illegally from investment schemes, earned in the entertainment industry and just outright stolen. The access to unlimited wealth corrupts morals, character and values. The Seven Deadly Sins no doubt applies here.

Occasionally someone works hard and earned the wealth. Bill Gates/Steve Jobs comes to mind. But they are low profile, honorable men. I don't see either buying a Veyron.

Just a ridiculous generalization. For starters Gates has a Porsche fetish and owns many an expensive car. He also was famous for getting tickets for excessive speed when he was younger. He was perfectly willing to commit a huge amount of money to personally finance the DOT testing (meaning, crash testing) of a Porsche 959 so that he could get the one he owns out of customs impound, though it never happened since they got some other import restriction exemption instead. Gates is no stranger to frivolous spending. What did he spend building his home? But hell, why wouldn't you spend frivolously if you had that kind of money?

As for your depiction of anyone else who may own an ubercar, it's just false. Plenty of investment bankers earn more than enough money in a week to pay for a Veyron without breaking the law. There are thousands of folks who earned tens of millions of dollars in dotcom IPOs (I believe that there are thousands of millionaires just at Microsoft, never mind google and all of the other dotcom companies) that did nothing unethical or illegal to earn their money - any number of whom might own a million dollar car. I personally know several that own $2-$5 million jet aircraft, for example. And what's wrong with earning money in the entertainment industry? There are lots of very wealthy people in entertainment, the vast majority of whom are not celebrities. They are producers, directors, writers, investors, etc. Hell, there are more than a few multi-millionaires who earned their money catering food to movie productions. And the vast majority of such folks are at least as 'low profile' and 'honorable' as Gates or Jobs, neither of whom is either low profile OR honorable.

Gates made his money copying, acquiring, or stealing the work of others while simultaneously muscling all competition out of the market via monopolistic practices. The company also broke the law when it conspired to deprive thousands of employees of benefits by labeling them as independent contractors when they were anything but. The list of Microsoft's legal offenses is long and many of them clearly extend all the way to the top of the company. On the Apple side, Jobs will hop into bed with anyone and under any conditions if it will make the company money. The man has been at the forefront of the computer industry's move toward limiting the rights of consumers for at least the last decade. This is a company that sent G-men to the door of a blogger to confiscate property when he found it, lost, in a restaurant and which has sued many of its own customers for daring to speculate about upcoming features in public. Both Jobs and Gates have been involved in property deals/home construction projects that are famous for their sheer extravagance and impositions on their neighbours.

If Gates and Jobs are your benchmark for ethical, stand-up behaviour from business leaders, then I fail to see why you object to all of the others. The reality of business success at that level in this country is that it almost requires a certain amount of 'moral flexibility' and fame-seeking. You don't get to where they are by acting the wallflower.

Notice the fuel leaking from the wing tanks on the SR-71. A normal condition due the heat expansion of metals caused by supersonic flight.

The other way around isn't it? It leaks until it gets going fast enough and high enough for everything to expand and lock down tight? It loses a ton of fuel prior to takeoff, then refuels in the air before setting off on a high speed run sufficient to keep the fuel inside the aircraft. I'm guessing it is leaking in the photos because it has slowed down so that photos can be taken.

and for what it is worth, the Veyron looks pretty nice in real life. It is MUCH smaller than it looks in photos, which makes it look a lot better to my eye. Unfortunately, the only picture I have doesn't have another car in the shot to give it a sense of scale. Bear in mind that the roof line isn't much higher than waist height on an average man.

251718024_WauUi-L.jpg

Just a ridiculous generalization. For starters Gates has a Porsche fetish and owns many an expensive car. He also was famous for getting tickets for excessive speed when he was younger. He was perfectly willing to commit a huge amount of money to personally finance the DOT testing (meaning, crash testing) of a Porsche 959 so that he could get the one he owns out of customs impound, though it never happened since they got some other import restriction exemption instead. Gates is no stranger to frivolous spending. What did he spend building his home? But hell, why wouldn't you spend frivolously if you had that kind of money?

As for your depiction of anyone else who may own an ubercar, it's just false. Plenty of investment bankers earn more than enough money in a week to pay for a Veyron without breaking the law. There are thousands of folks who earned tens of millions of dollars in dotcom IPOs (I believe that there are thousands of millionaires just at Microsoft, never mind google and all of the other dotcom companies) that did nothing unethical or illegal to earn their money - any number of whom might own a million dollar car. I personally know several that own $2-$5 million jet aircraft, for example. And what's wrong with earning money in the entertainment industry? There are lots of very wealthy people in entertainment, the vast majority of whom are not celebrities. They are producers, directors, writers, investors, etc. Hell, there are more than a few multi-millionaires who earned their money catering food to movie productions. And the vast majority of such folks are at least as 'low profile' and 'honorable' as Gates or Jobs, neither of whom is either low profile OR honorable.

Gates made his money copying, acquiring, or stealing the work of others while simultaneously muscling all competition out of the market via monopolistic practices. The company also broke the law when it conspired to deprive thousands of employees of benefits by labeling them as independent contractors when they were anything but. The list of Microsoft's legal offenses is long and many of them clearly extend all the way to the top of the company. On the Apple side, Jobs will hop into bed with anyone and under any conditions if it will make the company money. The man has been at the forefront of the computer industry's move toward limiting the rights of consumers for at least the last decade. This is a company that sent G-men to the door of a blogger to confiscate property when he found it, lost, in a restaurant and which has sued many of its own customers for daring to speculate about upcoming features in public. Both Jobs and Gates have been involved in property deals/home construction projects that are famous for their sheer extravagance and impositions on their neighbours.

If Gates and Jobs are your benchmark for ethical, stand-up behaviour from business leaders, then I fail to see why you object to all of the others. The reality of business success at that level in this country is that it almost requires a certain amount of 'moral flexibility' and fame-seeking. You don't get to where they are by acting the wallflower.

Wow, cool, chill pill. Did I not disqualify my musings by saying I am painting with a broad brush? Unfortunately those who earn their wealth legally are not those we hear about in tabloids and news. It's the corrupt, doper, paparazzi bait we see all the time that irritates me. Gives the whole wealthy, privileged class a bad name.

.... Reminds me of a millionaire friend of mine. He chooses to drive a 10 year old Ford Focus. Nice guy who wears blue jeans and t-shirts. Nothing pretentious.

You might enjoy the book: The Millionaire Next Door.

Corvette owners? Old farts who have libido trouble. Corvette becomes a compensation tool...generally speaking of course.

You've caused me to reconsider my typical insult for motorcyclists with loud pipes. I didn't realize how vulgar and rude I sounded. It's not becoming for me to insult people I don't know.

In my own limited experience, I have been surprised by how a few folks have made assumptions about me when I owned a high end car (flashy looking but certainly not $$$$$) and how a handful of complete strangers prejudge me with an older model modest car.

To the designer, the manufacturer, the dealer, and to the owner of a Veyron that car can mean many things, not least of which is the feeling one must have when driving it.

To some people who don't have a Veyron, it seems to evoke a visceral reaction.

I'm always reminded of the time an elegant woman, watching me remove my helmet, exclaimed, "BUT - you look like such a nice girl!" Can you imagine her assumptions about a woman on a motorcycle?

It's all prejudice.

That is an ugly thing.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I never really thought of my dad that way before. Thanks. :grin:

John Ranalletta
Sounds like a bad case of Corvette envy.

Is the Camaro SS the "Cialis" to the Covette's "Viagra"?

Just a newbie's assessment...

It appears to me that there is a lot of high and mighty talk going on here about those who have extra money to spend when we're all driving expensive bikes ourselves...don't forget that we could all be driving a Kawasaki at half the price (and probably twice the "value"). I already have friends who give me a hard time because of the BMW insignia on my bike and they would laugh if they read this post. I wonder if others would make similar comments if they saw a video of one of us cracking up our bikes...

For those driving crazy expensive cars, Corvettes, bikes with loud pipes, pink scooters, and everything in between - I'm happy for you. Do what makes you happy!

Be safe all.

John Ranalletta

I'd have a Veyron, Corvette, Shelby Cobra, Boss 302, MB CLS, Lexus LS in a heartbeat if I wasn't so cheap...

About appearances...

In the 70's, I worked with Gene. Gene was the sales manager. One afternoon we were both in the office and he asked if I wanted to go with him to pick up his new Lincoln Mark IV.

He paid cash, took delivery and asked if I had time to ride to Pana, IL, about 40 miles away. When we got to Pana, he drove up to and stopped at a house; honked the horn and when the owner came to the door, Gene gave him the one-finger salute and we drove off.

Later, he related that when he was a boy and a Lithuanian immigrant who could hardly speak English, the man, a leading light in the community, told Gene that he'd never amount to anything. He carried that hurt with him into adulthood. The Mark was his way of rewarding himself and shoving it to the guy in the house.

Good for Gene. If the thought of riding around in a Corvette motivates and rewards, go for it. What others think never matters.

Agreed. It's a shame we humans have such a tendency toward envy and intolerance. Clearly, we could all do with a little more reflection about that fact and think hard about whether that includes us.

Wow, cool, chill pill. Did I not disqualify my musings by saying I am painting with a broad brush? Unfortunately those who earn their wealth legally are not those we hear about in tabloids and news. It's the corrupt, doper, paparazzi bait we see all the time that irritates me. Gives the whole wealthy, privileged class a bad name.

Actually your original post "gives the whole wealthy privileged class a bad name." There are tons of real good, caring people making lots and lots of money. There are also tons of less rich people are also real jerks. Money's got nuthin' to do with it.

There are plenty of people who think of us Beemer riders as rich old jerks. I think they're just as wrong about us as you are about Veyron owners IMHO.

Dennis Andress

SR-71A_04.jpg

You realize that when on the ground that thing leaks hydraulic fluid faster than you can poor it in....

SR-71A_04.jpg

You realize that when on the ground that thing leaks hydraulic fluid faster than you can poor it in....

So, you sayin' it has a BMW final drive?

• 8 months later...

...or,

Soooooooooo, as a follow up to this thread from way back when........

LINKY

Not a work safe video as there are a couple expletives as the videographer realizes what is happening.

SR-71A_04.jpg

Actually, what leaks is fuel. They have big drip pans for them. Once in flight and heated up, the tanks pretty much seal up due to expansion. And I happen to think they are beautiful! :grin:

SR-71A_04.jpg

Actually, what leaks is fuel. They have big drip pans for them. Once in flight and heated up, the tanks pretty much seal up due to expansion. And I happen to think they are beautiful! :grin:

Same here.

Archived