IGNORED

RT Won't Start - Part II

Deltamark

Greetings all,

A few weeks ago I posted here because I couldn't get my 1999 R1100RT started. First, I replaced the battery with a Staab UB12220 (http://www.staabbattery.com/product/sla-12/UB12220-V.html) that I read about on this site. The bike still wouldn't start and it turned out that I had bad gas.

I've ridden the bike a few hundred miles since then, but noticed that the cranking power seemed low. I also noticed that the digital clock was dead when I'd go to start the bike each morning. The clock would reactivate and reset to zero when I'd start the bike. Also, my accessory lights would not work. Shortly thereafter, I took the bike into a dealer for an annual service, but forgot to mention these issues. They didn't mention anything about it when I got the bike back.

This morning, the bike wouldn't start. It gave a whine, then click, click, click, click. I haven't had the chance to dismantle it yet, but have a more than strong suspicion that using my lame mechanical skills, I installed the battery improperly. The Staab battery came with a very small nut / bolt set and I had a hard time tightening them as much as I would have liked. Does this sound like it could be the culprit? Or, could there be something else I'm missing?

Afternoon Deltamark

Difficult to say what you are working with there. Could be a charging issue, or a poor connection at the battery posts, or the new battery just doesn’t have enough power to start your bike, or your starter is causing you issues and requiring too much current to operate properly when cold.

Start with the easy stuff like getting those battery cable bolts tight. (on those UB battery’s I usually drill the battery post holes out then go to 6mm stainless steel bolts)

You really need to get a voltmeter on that battery just before turning the key on, after the key is on, then during engine cranking.

With your clock re-setting: either your starter is drawing too much current, -OR, your battery is too weak,-OR, your charging system isn’t doing it’s job, -OR, you have issues with battrey cable or battery post resistance.

Thanks Dirtrider. I didn't think of drilling the battery post holes and replacing with larger bolts. I'll try that first!

Mark

Afternoon Deltamark

Start with the easy stuff like getting those battery cable bolts tight. (on those UB battery’s I usually drill the battery post holes out then go to 6mm stainless steel bolts)

Afternoon Again Deltamark

Be VERY careful when drilling out those UB battery post holes. The weak point of those UB type battery’s is their rather fragile and thin battery post tangs. Be sure to use a Vise Grips, Channel Locks, or large pliers to hold the post tang securely while drilling or you risk twisting the battery post off.

It does sound like a bad battery or one that is losing charge. I'd get a meter and see what's leaking to ground while it's resting. For the leaking to ground to be valid, it would have to crank easily after being ridden or coming off a battery charger.

----

I bet you have one of the terminal connections loose. I also know about breaking the post off those batteries when drilling. Get a step drill bit.

Archived