IGNORED

Replacement Muffler for 2002 GS

John Montoya

John Montoya

A buddy of mine has a 2002 1150GS and wants to replace his muffler. Can that be done without replacing the whole exhaust? What brands have you used and does it cause any fuel injection problems.

On the 1150GS, just the muffler can be replaced.

As to what brand to choose, surely that is subjective to what he wants. Many of us really recommend sticking with the stock ones (either new or secondhand from the likes of ebay or Beemer Boneyard).

However, as to other makes you are going to hear almost endless options from the likes of Staintune, Remus, Sebring,Two brothers, Laser, Akropovic etc.

One thing that may bo considered too, is to remove the cat and fit a 'Y' piece adaptor instead. This will free up a considerable amount of weight.

Or you can just remove the muffler and ride the bike without one. I have a few GS riding friends that have done this and it's still quieter than most HD's....

John Montoya

He wants a louder exhaust note. Which if fine as long as he lets me lead on long trips. :)

I am concerned most about the tuning aspect. I don't want him to get into that.

Replacing the OEM muffler with an aftermarket will make a lean engine even leaner. Whether that's enough to ruin your engine, I don't know. At a minimum I would add one of the air temperature sensor spoofers and keep an eye on the sparkplugs with the idea of changing to a K bike fuel pressure regulator or a PCIII module.

Once you cross 2 bars on the temperature display the mixture is controlled by the O2 sensor and can make up the difference.

Will not, as many can attest, hurt the engine.

Rod

Archived