IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road 3's. Wow what a difference!

imeyers

Just installed a set of Michelon Pilot Road 3's on my 05 RT. Anyone who is thinking about new tires for their RT should really consider these tires. They are phenomenal. I had the Stock Dunlop D220's on the bike and going from those to these was night and day. Could not believe the difference. I never had complete confidence with the dunlops especially in the wet. That is over now.

Don_Eilenberger

I'll agree - the Pilot Road 2 was very nice new, but as Jerry said - talk to us again in 6,000-9,000 miles. I loved the PR2's until they started wearing funky due to the transition between the hard/softer rubber.

I just ordered PR3's, hoping that Michelin has addressed this (I understand the center hard part is smaller now, so mebbe it will just form a bump in the middle that's easy for me to grind off with my belt-sander..)

I was really hoping to find Conti Road-Attack-2's, but they seem to be unobtainium still (vendors listed them, but had no stock..)

The PR's are hard to beat in wet weather when newish. About as good as most tires are in the dry.

Oh - one other minor thing - new tires vs older used tires, the new tires ALWAYS feel wonderful. They just do..

I love the Pr2's om my RT, on my third set now at 36k. Usually see 8 to 9k from a pair.

Aiming for the Pr3's next in a month or so as like many have found, the cupping on the front from 5k onwards does affect handling a little.

With my milage I'll have done 8k on them by September this year I rckon and 4k of that on twisty French Alpine curves :grin:

\v/

It seems that people are migrating away from Metzlers. Is there a reason for this?

I had Metzlers on my R1100R. I have PR's on my RT now that I do not like. I have been told they are PR 1 but all in all, I do not have the confidence factor with them that I did with the Metzlers. Just curious as I still have about 5K miles left on them.

I am waiting for someone to compare the PR 2's with 3's. I like the 2's a lot.

My first set of tires on my Goldwing were a set of Dunlops. Terrible in the rain and poor mileage. Switched to Metz 880's, what a difference.

I migrated away from the Metzlers as the rear went from looking OK to showing cord in about a hundred miles and after a few thousand miles the front was noisy as heck in corners.

Bill

If I am understanding you right, your bike is a 2005 and you are just now (after 6 years??)changing your stock tires? How many miles were on the stockers?

If that's the case you should feel an enormous difference...regardless of tire brand! :clap:

If I am understanding you right, your bike is a 2005 and you are just now (after 6 years??)changing your stock tires? How many miles were on the stockers?

If that's the case you should feel an enormous difference...regardless of tire brand! :clap:

Yeah i know i should be ashamed but i just hit 6000 miles on the bike. I have 4 bikes now and i try to spread out the riding. The stock tires had probably another 2000 miles left in them but i wanted them gone. Did the 6000 mile service before the winter and now new tires. So if anyone is waiting for a 6000-9000 mile review its gonna take me a while to get there.

Those Dunlops also came stock on my RT, and they were pretty horrid. They wore quickly and weirdly. I have tried nearly everything else available for the RT since then, and they have been my least favorite so far.

Jay

I think the 05's came with either the Michelin Pilot Road 1's, The Metzler somthing or other, and the Dunlop D220. I was not thrilled when i saw the dunlops on there when i picked it up. But that was the luck of the draw.

It seems that people are migrating away from Metzlers. Is there a reason for this?

Sharon had the Z6's for her oem tire and we did not like them. We've had between us, Conti Road Attacks, Bridgestone 020's and 021's, Avon Storms, Dunlop Roadsmarts, and the PR2's.

We also had the Z6's on an rental RT that we had for a week sometime after the initial experience. I feel that the Z6 is the only tire of the group that I would clearly suggest to avoid. The others are all reasonably comparable, although I prefer the PR2's.

The Z6's have decent grip, but the Z6s don't turn in like the other tires. You really have to push the bike into the curves. It's like riding a different bike. I believe they are preferred by non-aggressive riders that are looking for a stable feel. That, in so far as it goes, is fine if that is what you are looking for. It is not for me however, but that is preference.

What makes me feel the Z6's are not to be recommended are the severe cupping issues we had with ours, and the lack of a usable tread wear indicator. There are just far too many stories of those tires going from apparently fine to showing cords in a matter of a hundred miles or so. So far as I know, the new updated version did not resolve this issue, although I would be pleased to be corrected on that point.

I have personally seen or been involved to some extent (not my bike or tire) with three cases now of riders that got caught. Generally all good conscientious riders.

Just my opinion, and I don't know if it explains your perception or not.

On the other hand, many riders do like the 880's for a long wearing tire with good grip.

Changing my PR2s tomorrow for PR3s on my 2010 RT. I have had around 4 sets of PR2s and get 13k-ish out of them. Tremendous tyre!! I cover 25k miles per year so should find out pretty quickly how the PR3s perform!

Let us know. For me anything is better than those dunlops. I know there is a "B" version of the rear tire which is supposed to be better if you do a lot of 2 up riding. It is heavier than the regular version so if you dont do a lot of 2 up riding the starndard version is better.

Changing my PR2s tomorrow for PR3s on my 2010 RT. I have had around 4 sets of PR2s and get 13k-ish out of them. Tremendous tyre!! I cover 25k miles per year so should find out pretty quickly how the PR3s perform!

Can you let me into your secret of how to get 13k out of the PR2's please? I generally get 8 to 9k front and rear.

I'm on my 4th set of PR2 now and should be fitting PR3 in a month or two, before my annual 3k tour in Europe anyway. I have a spare rear wheel so tend to swap between rears so I have a newish tyre for trips abroad.

So what's the secret?

\v/

Didn't know there was one! My commute is 130 miles a day mainly on motorways and A roads. Not a lot of cornering but lots of filtering! :-) My tyres tend to flatten out but the sides are barely worn. I give it plenty of accelleration though. If I drove more sedately, I would probably get 15-20k miles!

New PR3s are on. They look great but it's too early to tell what they are really like. As you can imagine, going from flattened tyres to new means the bike is VERY rolly!

Ah, that prolly explains it. I ride mainly B roads and avoid the motorways if at all possible. Lots of speed changes on B roads so assume that's why I don't get the milage.

I'd rather wear them out my way so we're both happy :)

\v/

I as well am running PR2's on my '05 RT and I am VERY happy with their Performance. Once I know what the PR3's are all about (Which I would assume they will be way better then the PR2's???) I will change to PR3's when the time comes.

I like new tires, too.

We call 'em: "Honeymoon Tires"....There's about a 2,000 mile or so honeymoon before they wear in and loose that new feel with (fill in the blank)........ :P

Just ordered a set of PR2's (good prices out there). My current PR2's have roughly 10Kmi and likely 2-3K left.

I too am interested in the PR3's. But the PR2's are going to be a hard tire to improve apon. So time will tell.

Highway41, you're obviously talking about a Metzler Z6 and not an 880 right?

I loved the 880's on my 1100. Just don't make the rear for the R1200RT (190).

I love your sig line.

I am using it here and elsewhere as I did not see a copy write! :)

And yes. Ass is her preferred reference to me.

Let us know. For me anything is better than those dunlops. I know there is a "B" version of the rear tire which is supposed to be better if you do a lot of 2 up riding. It is heavier than the regular version so if you dont do a lot of 2 up riding the starndard version is better.

First impression after 500 miles and two wet days - FANTASTIC!! They feel smooth and planted. Probably still too early to give a proper report but they certainly have inspired greater confidence and coming from the PR2 which I also loved, that's saying something!

I'll have to keep my eye on this thread. I absolutely hated the set of PR2 tires that came stock on my '09. They were replaced by Pirelli Angels and the bike felt so much more reliable. However, with the comments I'm seeing with the PR3 tires here, I might be willing to try them again in their new incarnation, but that depends on the longevity comments (not how long they last, but how they feel after a few thousand miles).

Wayne

I need to order some new tyres today, getting conflicting info on sizes though??

120/70/17 front.... and 180/60/17 or 180/55/17 rear?

I have a 2006...

Seems like its the 18/55/17 - not sure why some sites say 60 profile?

My local tyre place cant get PR3s at the moment - supply issues...got some PR2s being held for £229 fitted (loose wheel)

My riding buddy was using Avon Storm 2 Ultras on his K1200GT and raved on them. After going through 2 sets of the Conti Attacks, I figured, what the heck, I'll try some on my RT before going to "The.. Dragon".

It's like driving a different motorcycle, no surprises and no chicken strips (on the rear one anyway). He has about 4K miles on his tires and they're wearing well. At 2k miles I'm still impressed.

I've never read about them on the Hexhead/Camhead forum. Just throwing that out there.

Don_Eilenberger

Just the comment that new tires ALWAYS feel better then old tires. And you don't really notice how bad the old ones are until they get REALLY bad since it's such a gradual thing.

New to new - good comparo.

New to old - not worth a lot IMHO.

Roundy,

120/70/17 front.... 180/55/17 rear

I also have a 2006...and this info is straight from the Rider's Manual (US Model) Page 142.

BTW...just ordered mine. Had to get them from 2 sources to get the pair. THEY ARE SCARCE.

I need new tires for my '07 RT. How necessary is the 'B' rate tire for the Pilot Road 3's? I am 180 lbs and my wife is about 115 and we do like to ride two up a bit. We will do some weekend trips and maybe a week long trip this year with gear.

I am having a hard time finding the B tire in stock and there are plenty of regular 180/55/17ZR's in stock. Should I just forget about getting the B? I don't mind paying extra for the B if it will be safer.

Thanks!

I need new tires for my '07 RT. How necessary is the 'B' rate tire for the Pilot Road 3's? I am 180 lbs and my wife is about 115 and we do like to ride two up a bit. We will do some weekend trips and maybe a week long trip this year with gear.

I am having a hard time finding the B tire in stock and there are plenty of regular 180/55/17ZR's in stock. Should I just forget about getting the B? I don't mind paying extra for the B if it will be safer.

Thanks!

The "B" rated is OEM for a reason. For some riders it's no big deal.

Riding two up fully loaded with passenger, side cases & trunk having the reinforced sidwall IMO is worth getting the "B" rated tire.

My understanding is the the "B" rated rear Pilot Road 3's will be arriving by the end of the month.

These tires will be replacing the Pilot Road II's that I have now.

08RT

Thanks!

I've never been able to find the B fitment rear in the PR2 and have done numerous cross-continent rides two-up, with a full load, and have never had any sort of tire problem. You could always ask Michelin.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like competition accessories will have the B rated tire in in a week or so. I think I am going to place an order with them.

I was really hoping to find Conti Road-Attack-2's, but they seem to be unobtainium still (vendors listed them, but had no stock..)
I just had Conti Road Attack 2s mounted and am putting the wheels on in a few minutes.

I got them through Competion Accessories. Supposedly, they have plenty (there was no "call for availability" warning about this tire, though there were about many others).

I too had strange wear issues with the PR2s ... and noise in the first few hundred miles despite maintaining air pressure during the first weekend long ride. They went downhill from there.

Went back to Z-6s, and had no real issues, but still wanted to look for something that would provide a longer period of feeling great, but I acknowledge this just might be a ghost hunt.

TyTass,

Did you get the 'C' model rear tire that is BMW specific? I can't find that one on their website.

-Ryan

I did not as I've read the B for these Conti's isn't often available - and is Korean made and quite a different tire.

And though I ride 2-up about 40% of the time (though rarely full loaded), I've been riding Z-6s for years (installed by dealers) with a slightly lesser sidewall Max Load weight rating than what these Conti RA2s have.

Perhaps this is a bad decision, but I haven't talked to a dealer yet that has insisted a tire must be a B.

Dont really understand the need for the B rear tire on the RT. The RT is on the light side of the sporty touring bikes. A honda ST1300 or an FJR or even the K1300GT have close to 100lbs if not more on the RT. So maybe on a heavier bike it is necessary but on the RT i dont think you will ever have a problem 2 up with the normal non "B" tire. If i had the new K1600GT i would definitely want the B tire. And the C model BMW tire i dont understand at all. What did they make a special rubber compound just for BMW? Have about 400 miles on the PR3's now and absolutely love them. Then again i did come from the original Dunlop D220's.

I've a pair of standards PR3's in the garage now waiting to go on my RT12. I ordered them now as I heard rumours that the fronts were getting in short supply in the UK. I got mine in two days.

Front will go on end of month I suspect, depends how long I can take the weird handling due to the cupping.

Going to try running highr PSI in the front as many riders say that helps eliminate the cupping.

They sure look busy compared to the PR2's.

\v/

I have 9000 mi. on my Pilot Road 2's on my 07 R1200 RT. That includes quite a bit of mountain riding as well as straight roads. They handle great in the twisties and there's still another 2000 mi. worth of tread left, I estimate. These Michelins have been in some heavy rain and handled great.

They have some howl from the front tire, I think, but all 3 sets of Metzler Z6 did too.

I just ordered another set. The PR 2's were so good I'll let everyone else sort out the PR3. Probably next set.

I just received a set of Pilot Road 3s from e Moto for $275 delivered. Very happy with price and the fast, free delivery. I have no association with this business but I am extremely pleased with the service.

I did not order the B rear tire for my 2006 R1200RT.

Ray

Highway41, you're obviously talking about a Metzler Z6 and not an 880 right?

I loved the 880's on my 1100. Just don't make the rear for the R1200RT (190).

I love your sig line.

I am using it here and elsewhere as I did not see a copy write! :)

And yes. Ass is her preferred reference to me.

The ME880 is not available in the RT's standard sze of 180/55 but you can use a 170/60. I pair that with a Z6 in front. That's been my preferred combination for about the last 60 or 70K miles.

lawnchairboy

I flogged the snot of a a new set on the track with the RT yesterday. Someone with more cajones (and more motor) could have probably broken them loose, but they felt pretty sticky to me, at track pressures.

Just the comment that new tires ALWAYS feel better then old tires. And you don't really notice how bad the old ones are until they get REALLY bad since it's such a gradual thing.

Just like the frog in the pot of water, slowly heating up. Day to day change is not noticeable.

That said, my Z06s sucked compared to the PR2s I have now. I had very little confidence in the Z06s. These feel great after 2000 miles. Worn these are better than the 06s new. I can't imagine how good the PR3s are. Will look to a set of them after the UN probably. Supply should be looser as well.

P.S. I'm running non-"B" tires.

2006 R1200RT; I just put a set of PR3's on the bike Friday, and on Sunday, finished San Diego BMW Motorcycle's John Hermann's Wildcat Canyon Ride on them, with two up. Yes, I can say it feels like a completely different bike with new tires. Much more responsive, easier to lay over in the curves, etc. The old michelins that were on the bike before had a lot of highway miles: set in thier ways! Ah, aren't new tires wonderful?

Archived