IGNORED

Gear alert: REI

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

20% off one full price item for members through April 10, coupon MEM2011. Wish I hadn't just bought an expensive bicycle rack elsewhere.

Such a deal, on one over priced item. I'll run right over.

Their closeouts are sometimes more attractive. Always worth checking.

+1

Ironic.

I haven't reponded to this and another reply today

because I wuz listening to the little voice...

:grin:

markgoodrich

I apologize for posting this. It's clear REI is a rip-off. I never knew that. I always thought they sold quality equipment at recommended retail price. I feel SUCH a fool! Thanks to those of you who pointed out my stupidity.

markgoodrich

Why, thank you, Edddddddd!

I do have another consumer tip that might fit certain sensibilities a little better: Dollar Tree has aluminum turkey roasting pans for...A DOLLAR!!! They make excellent oil drain pans. They're so big you don't have to worry much about spilling any as you carry the full pan over to the storm drain to tump it. That is, however, full price, no 20% off.

After tumping the oil into the storm drain, you can just wad the pan up into a ball and throw it in an REI parking lot.

Mark, by now you should know that our many resident experts will debate anything. Most of them don't have a life and it gives them something to do.

Feel sorry for them/failing that, laugh at them.

Mark,

pretty cetain you were following me, not replying to me.

My +1 was to Marty's post.

The little voice I referenced is Marty's telling me what he posted later in this thread.

Too often I seem to be sssssing into the wind.

:/

I appreciate the head's up some provide, I've even done that myself.

Please avoid the Dollar Tree pan.

I have it on good authority that they are made from recycled

alyuminiyum.

While dumping into a storm drain might be good the recycling of abundant resources (most likely outsourced to a 4th world country) is costing USa jobs.

:wave:

Why, thank you, Edddddddd!

I do have another consumer tip that might fit certain sensibilities a little better: Dollar Tree has aluminum turkey roasting pans for...A DOLLAR!!! They make excellent oil drain pans. They're so big you don't have to worry much about spilling any as you carry the full pan over to the storm drain to tump it. That is, however, full price, no 20% off.

After tumping the oil into the storm drain, you can just wad the pan up into a ball and throw it in an REI parking lot.

Personally I think they should then be used as a hat to avoid gubment interception of your brain (braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinsssss!) waves. The left over oil residue makes them easier to get all the way over the eyes.

Thanks for the info Mark, and remember the old expression "Illegitimus non carborundum"

Yeah their sh*t is high priced but when it comes time to return for whatever reason...Never ever any problem...

Today I saved 20% on a nice bicycle carrier and added another $50.00 of "dividend money"...Happy Happy Joy Joy...!

++ They will take ANYTHING back ANY TIME. Even years after you've owned it--if you're not happy. Take advantage of that if you're in doubt about the quality of something...but still wanna get it.

I have no affiliation with REI, but I was a bit surprised by the negative comments about REI. I have purchased a fair amount of hiking/backpacking stuff there over the years, and have been pretty happy with them.

Apparently, most of the higher quality name brand equipment manufacturers (like Sierra Designs, Marmot, Columbia) require stores to agree to sell their items at the same price in order to do business with them. When I shop around, it seems like most retailers are selling the item that I am interested in for exactly the same price. In fact, I am about to use my 20% off member discount to get a pair of Asolo hiking boots because everyone sells them for the same price, and they are never advertised at a lower price by anyone until they move into "closeout" status. The "store discounts" like this seem to be the only way to get a better deal on current items from certain manufacturers.

The same seems to be true for some motorcycle gear, such as Olympia jackets and pants. The place that I buy my motorcycle gear isn't allowed to sell Olympia apparel at a lower price than anyone else. But they do have a "store discount" that you get when you buy enough stuff from them, which is a way for them to get around the restrictions. Kind of like the "member dividend" from REI.

So if REI is overpriced, what kinds of things are you buying, and where are you getting them for better prices? I will probably stick with the higher end name brand manufacturers, since over the years I have figure out what I like. But are there better prices on these types of items elsewhere?

markgoodrich
Yeah their sh*t is high priced but when it comes time to return for whatever reason...Never ever any problem...

Today I saved 20% on a nice bicycle carrier and added another $50.00 of "dividend money"...Happy Happy Joy Joy...!

I hate you. I bought a very expensive rack elsewhere last week, and then today my big fat dividend showed up. I could'a saved about a hundred dollars. At least I didn't buy any overpriced crap like you did.

Yes I agree....Merrell shoes for instance...prices the same no matter where I shopped...Bass Pro,Gander Mountain,Cabala's...but at least I got 10% back at REI on the dividend.

Gerbings Heated Gear supposedly is also the same price no matter where you purchase (except I remember Gerbing warehouse prices were cheaper that was a few years ago).

I hate you. I bought a very expensive rack elsewhere last week, and then today my big fat dividend showed up. I could'a saved about a hundred dollars. At least I didn't buy any overpriced crap like you did.

I got the Thule Double track...like 215.00 out the door

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79qfdisqlFU

I have issues with REI that have nothing to do with their prices. They can charge whatever they want as far as I am concerned, but this 30 year (+) member no longer shops there......my wife still uses my card and we get their propaganda in the mail.....in fact the dividend notice is sitting on our dining room table.

My dad still gives me REI gift cards that I trade in for cash....I simply cannot support an organization that supports the types of groups they do. I don't want this to cross the political line so I will leave it at that.

I have a +/- relationship with REI. In an emergency, I had to buy a new front bicycle wheel from a San Jose, CA REI when my old wheel fell from the top mount of the van on the drive there. It was a cheap wheel, but enabled me to ride the tour down the coast. A year and 5,000 miles later later, the front wheel started rumbling and whining (bearing?). I took it back to the Sacramento REI and got my money back, no questions asked. Another time I returned a bike computer/altimeter that I didn't like after months of use. They sell good stuff, have helpful staff, and will take anything back anytime with no challenge, but their prices are high.

Archived