IGNORED

Battery Replacement

Catbird

My 2005 R1200RT's original gel-type battery is very close to the end of its useful life. FWIW, I have always kept the BMW brand battery maintainer connected via the accessory socket when it's parked at home. I want to purchase and install a new replacement battery before I end up stranded somewhere.

Question:

What replacement batteries are most people here using or recommend?

I, and a fair number of other folk on this board (judging from their posts re same) have replaced the OEM gel with an Odyssey AGM. It was the PC680. I replaced mine last year (preventive maintenance) before a ride to California.

The Shorai battery recently became available and is getting good reviews. It uses a newer Lithium-based technology that promises much longer life than conventional lead-acid batteries and it is much much lighter and smaller than its competitors. I am becoming increasingly convinced that it is the "best" one, money no object. They have a web site that can give you more details, and there is a thread on this site with lots of lively discussion (do a search). They are as expensive as an OEM battery though, and the extra cost it probably not worth it if you expect to trade the bike within 2-3 years. You can get a "Universal" battery shipped to your door for about $50.

My '05 RT also still has the factory battery installed and I suppose I should change it soon, even though it seems to work as well as it ever did. I have never used a battery maintainer, though do ride regularly all year long.

Jay

I, and a fair number of other folk on this board (judging from their posts re same) have replaced the OEM gel with an Odyssey AGM. It was the PC680. I replaced mine last year (preventive maintenance) before a ride to California.
I suppose if I decide on the Odyssey, the PC680MJ is the proper one to order???
Paul Mihalka
I suppose if I decide on the Odyssey, the PC680MJ is the proper one to order???

MJ means metal jacket and you don't need/want that.

I've asked the mods before - and plead again - that as this is one of the most frequently asked questions, that we should add it to a sticky type thread. In summary:

1) The Shorai represents a technology which provides tremendous advantages in power density and small size / light weight. Not sure how important any of this is on an RT, but there it is. About $180.

2) The Odyssey is far and away the best performing conventional / AGM type battery, and by best performing I mean longest life, MIL-spec resistance to shock and vibration, and longest shelf life by far. About $120.

3) Universal and others make cheap replacements. About $50.

If we had the space alotted perhaps we can elaborate and refer to the FAQ when this comes up.

-MKL

I've asked the mods before - and plead again - that as this is one of the most frequently asked questions, that we should add it to a sticky type thread. In summary:

1) The Shorai represents a technology which provides tremendous advantages in power density and small size / light weight. Not sure how important any of this is on an RT, but there it is. About $180.

2) The Odyssey is far and away the best performing conventional / AGM type battery, and by best performing I mean longest life, MIL-spec resistance to shock and vibration, and longest shelf life by far. About $120.

3) Universal and others make cheap replacements. About $50.

If we had the space alotted perhaps we can elaborate and refer to the FAQ when this comes up.

-MKL

Your list includes a new, pricey, battery technology with no track record, Odyssey and the low end batteries. I'm not knocking Odyssey, but, based on my own personal experience, it's not that much better than a Westco, which didn't make your list at all. Also, you left off the BMW battery (gel?). I don't know much about it, but it probably should be on the list for comparison purposes.

Just sayin'

Your list includes a new, pricey, battery technology with no track record, Odyssey and the low end batteries. I'm not knocking Odyssey, but, based on my own personal experience, it's not that much better than a Westco, which didn't make your list at all. Also, you left off the BMW battery (gel?). I don't know much about it, but it probably should be on the list for comparison purposes.

Just sayin'

Geez-

Lithium Iron Phosphate is far from new or unproven. We've been using them with great success on the UPS systems we produce at work for a few years now. They're only now being introduced to commercial / consumer applications like motorsports, but that doesn't mean they're new.

Re Odyssey we've covered this before, but there is no comparison going on catalog specs between that AGM and any of the other conventions mainstream brands. Not in not in overall life, not in shelf life, not in temp, not in resistance to shock and vibe, etc. etc. Again, we've been using Enersys batteries at work for 15 years, hundreds of cells per month, and they have an excellent track record with us (and the US military, by extension) even if yours didn't perform to expectations for some reason. In our experience they often outperform their catalog specs, in fact. Re "low end" that's a popular option due to price and people seem to have good results.

The rest - OEM, Interstate, Exide, Westco, etc. etc. are all interchangeable commodities without much difference between them at all in the specs that matter. If you dig deep you will see many of these midline players are simply rebadged versions of the same exact battery produced in the Far East. I can get equivalents to those wholesale for about $30, tops. In my opinion they are (over)priced too near a technically superior Odyssey to deserve consideration.

Even so, if we took the time to compile a list, maybe a spreadsheet with catalog specs and price at the time of publication, this often repeated question can be answered at a glance and with a minimal amount of andecdotal advice.

-MKL

Thanks Moshe, you nailed the truth. The Shorai is getting raves on other sites...as I'm sure you know. About to order a couple for my bikes.

Marty-

Note I did not advocate Shorai per se, I merely said the technology behind it is neither new nor unproven. Shorai has to be tested thoroughly over time in order to see where that brand stands. I'm working on it! ;)

-MKL

Thanks everybody for the very informative responses!

Yesterday, I was leaning toward purchasing an Odyssey battery priced at about $123 w/ free shipping from Amazon. Today, I wanted to check out Shorai batteries and after reading some reviews as well as watching a few youtube videos, I began to change my mind.

Two things have have me back looking more seriously at the Odyssey:

1) I can't seem to locate a Shorai source that has a battery for my bike IN STOCK.

2) I'm reasonably certain that it's a good battery, however the price I saw was $187 + shipping.

FWIW, my dealer carries the BMW OEM battery, the Odyssey and the Westco. All overpriced based on my limited online search.

My plan is to continue reading this thread's comments and make a decision by the end of today.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Just sayin'

Geez-

Lithium Iron Phosphate is far from new or unproven. We've been using them with great success on the UPS systems we produce at work for a few years now. They're only now being introduced to commercial / consumer applications like motorsports, but that doesn't mean they're new.

How they perform on a UPS vehicle and how they perform on a motorcycle is an extrapolation. I'm not saying they're not the best option. I just don't know. No one does (yet).

Re Odyssey we've covered this before, but there is no comparison going on catalog specs between that AGM and any of the other conventions mainstream brands. Not in not in overall life, not in shelf life, not in temp, not in resistance to shock and vibe, etc. etc. Again, we've been using Enersys batteries at work for 15 years, hundreds of cells per month, and they have an excellent track record with us (and the US military, by extension) even if yours didn't perform to expectations for some reason. In our experience they often outperform their catalog specs, in fact. Re "low end" that's a popular option due to price and people seem to have good results.

I do believe that the specific properties of the Odyssey with regards to CCA might be a distinct advantage in the North, Northeast, etc. where you will often have your bike sit for a long period of time and then expect it to start on a cold day. That's not my situation here in Southern California. Geography matters. Also, I'm sure the demand on a UPS truck is different than it is on your motorcycle. That's why I added "I'm just sayin' " to my post.

The rest - OEM, Interstate, Exide, Westco, etc. etc. are all interchangeable commodities without much difference between them at all in the specs that matter. If you dig deep you will see many of these midline players are simply rebadged versions of the same exact battery produced in the Far East. I can get equivalents to those wholesale for about $30, tops. In my opinion they are (over)priced too near a technically superior Odyssey to deserve consideration.

I would like to see a little more evidence to this statement. If what you are saying is true, then I'm interested in knowing where I can get a $30 battery that will perform as well as a Westco which, in my experience, is better (based on dollers per mile which is my criteria) than the Odyssey. Also, buying batteries wholesale is not a valid price point. Maybe UPS can buy them wholesale, but the Average Joe cannot.

Even so, if we took the time to compile a list, maybe a spreadsheet with catalog specs and price at the time of publication, this often repeated question can be answered at a glance and with a minimal amount of andecdotal advice.

This would be a nice spreadsheet indeed. Hey, I can be swayed. I think the prices used in the spreadsheet should be something the Average Joe can expect to spend on a battery (high/low/mean/dealer, etc.). I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy another battery someday. Maybe even for the motorcycle I'm currently riding.

-MKL

The distinction between "Shorai" and "LIFEPO4" batteries is an important one. Note I did NOT advocate Shorai. I merely said, contrary to your assertion, that LIFEPO4 is neither new nor unproven. That is a fact.

Second point is, we sell our UPSs to the US and US friendly militaries worldwide. It is not such a stretch or unfounded extrapolation to say that if a product suvives being dogged in the desert in a HMMWV on the front line for 6-10 years, that its use in a motorcycle is a cakewalk by comparison. The "Odyssey" is derived directly from the Genesis Series we use on just such applications - painted orange and sold to commercial consumers, but the guts are the same. Let me be clear - there is NO VRLA alternative the military considers for mission critical or harsh environment / wide temp applications. (That's why Enersys can unfortunately hold us hostage in price and delivery sometimes). So, for the same money or a little more, give me the product derived from that level of development and proven track record, any day.

Third, the point about geography isn't valid. Yes, here in the east shelf life (2 years for Odyssey vs. about 3-6 months for the other generic brands) matters. Maybe in California it doesn't, but say, resistance to high heat (the #1 enemy of battery longevity) does. And there the Genesis is capable of operation to +65C. I personally have witnessed testing of the series by NASA to +71C operating on one of our systems. Try that with a generic brand and you'll be lucky to get 18 months out of it, at most. Good performance is good performance, regardless of geography. For every point scored here that doesn't matter out there, there is a point scored out there that doesn't matter here. It is a wash.

Regarding wholesale pricing, you're right, it doesn't matter much to Average Joe. But if Average Joe knew how badly he was being raped for what is essentially a commodity item (generic battery), and further knew how cheaply they are available for (or by extension how high the markup is) it would affect his purchasing decision. I am not Average Joe in that my company often spends tens of thousands on batteries *per month,* and has for 40+ years. I see firsthand what comes back from the front line, in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other hot spots. We see what holds up, and what doesn't.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and if anything I wish Enersys did have a little competition so the price would come down and more importantly to us) delivery would shrink. But right now, for VRLA, they don't. It's that simple.

-MKL

There is a world of difference between an UPS and a vehicle as far as a battery is concerned. It is not the environment but the way the battery is loaded.

A UPS uses a deep-cycle battery, designed to be discharged to 50%-80% of its capacity on every use. A vehicle battery is designed to be discharged at very high current for a short period of time to 20% or less of its capacity.

These two different load requirement lead to different construction, in plate thickness, bonding, support and materials used. Using a deep-cycle battery as a starter will shorten its lifespan by a considerable margin - ditto for using a shallow-cycle battery in an UPS.

A well-constructed shallow-cycle battery will deliver a significantly higher CCA than a deep-cycle battery of the same amp-hour rating.

Personally, I use a cheap-and-cheerful deep-cycle battery (a power-sonic PS12180) as it is a third of the price of a shallow-cycle battery and will live for more than a half of the life of a shallow-cycle battery.

Andy

Jack Herbst

I bought one of these and it was too loose in the case and the metal strap does not fit the P680. I returned it. I do not like something that does not fit correctly. I know you can wedge it but the the strap becomes a problem.

Jack

Check this sealed glass mat battery that drops right in. Can't beat the price ($45)and it ships fast too!

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/sla-12/UB12220-V.html

Or buy something more expensive because??????????

Rob

I paid big bucks for the Odyssey years ago and it was no stronger in the winter time than my OEM. I replaced the year old Odyssey with this years ago and will stay with this one and just replace it every four years.. :thumbsup:

Not always true with batteries, my friend. As I said earlier, I can get a wholesale Exide or Yausa you guys would pay $120 for at the dealer for about $35-40 on the outside. Price does not determine quality here in this case - far from it.

Re "exactly what you had" why pay more for something that lasts 5 years (on the outside) instead of less for something that lasts 8-10?

-MKL

How about the obvious...exactly what you had! It's still going after 5 years and you want better?
Well, if I can get a battery that is just as good (or better) as OEM for less money, then that seems to be a good choice... right?
Not always true with batteries, my friend. As I said earlier, I can get a wholesale Exide or Yausa you guys would pay $120 for at the dealer for about $35-40 on the outside. Price does not determine quality here in this case - far from it.

Re "exactly what you had" why pay more for something that lasts 5 years (on the outside) instead of less for something that lasts 8-10?

-MKL

Something that lasts 8-10?

Please!

We need a poll of all those members who have had batteries last 8-10 years. I'll put a c-note up that 8-10 years is the exception, not the rule and I don't make purchasing decisions based on the exceptions.

Geez-

Total life expectancy of any battery is based on:

1) Time

2) Temperature

You will always see on any reputable spec sheet a statement that mentions both components. Enersys batteries are rated for 8-10 years @ +25C ambient. I have no reason to believe a LIFEPO4 such as Shorai will do any worse, though it won't do better based on the cells we use. Your average commodity battery is rated for 3-5 years @ +25C. Some get more, sure. Some get less. My wife's former R60/5 had an 11 year old Odyssey in it, still going when we sold the bike. My controller's 1998 FLSTC has a 9 year old Odyssey in it. Still going fine. But that's all anecdotal.

You will find people who can kill an Odyssey within 2-3 years also. So many variables involved - temp, charging, storage, etc., that it's useless to make a poll, much like discussing insurance rates between two different people in two different locations.

The only fair apples to apples comparison is temp / time. When you find another VRLA other than Enersys for Powersports with its expected life rating, you let us know. Good luck.

-MKL

I bought one of these and it was too loose in the case and the metal strap does not fit the P680. I returned it. I do not like something that does not fit correctly. I know you can wedge it but the the strap becomes a problem.

Jack

I simply cut a short piece of rubber hose and put that under the strap, a "trick" I saw on this site. It hasn't budged in a year. I don't think the size of the Odyssey battery is an issue, but I can see how, if you're a stickler for a battery of exactly the same size as the OEM, you might not be happy.

I have made a decision on my replacement battery and have placed my order.

I tried to take all of this great advice into consideration. The thrifty side of my nature got the best of me, so I ordered a UNIVERSAL for $45.30 + shipping.

Right or wrong, I feel like if I can get 3-5 years out of it, I'll be satisfied.

the pc680 just does not have enough staying power or ass, cca is great but don't dare leave the lights on a few minutes, I have one in my k75 and it barely cuts it. I sometimes like to leave the radio on and thats a no no with the odyssey. I have a odyssey 925 in my plane and my boat but only for starting. The pc680 should come with jumper cables for an rt, now if odyssey made one that filled up the tray I would give it a go..

Geez-

Total life expectancy of any battery is based on:

1) Time

2) Temperature

You will always see on any reputable spec sheet a statement that mentions both components. Enersys batteries are rated for 8-10 years @ +25C ambient. I have no reason to believe a LIFEPO4 such as Shorai will do any worse, though it won't do better based on the cells we use. Your average commodity battery is rated for 3-5 years @ +25C. Some get more, sure. Some get less. My wife's former R60/5 had an 11 year old Odyssey in it, still going when we sold the bike. My controller's 1998 FLSTC has a 9 year old Odyssey in it. Still going fine. But that's all anecdotal.

You will find people who can kill an Odyssey within 2-3 years also. So many variables involved - temp, charging, storage, etc., that it's useless to make a poll, much like discussing insurance rates between two different people in two different locations.

The only fair apples to apples comparison is temp / time. When you find another VRLA other than Enersys for Powersports with its expected life rating, you let us know. Good luck.

-MKL

Moshe - I appreciate your data and depth of knowledge, but I disagree it's as simple as time and temperature. Maybe that's true in a lab, but not in the Real World . Otherwise, EVERYONE in this thread would be agreeing with you and EVERYONE would be getting 8 years of life out of their Odyssey, but that is just not the case. I DO agree that there are environmental conditions which would favor an Odyssey type battery and those conditions are more prevalent in the northeast.

Maybe I don't treat a battery right. Heck, I don't treat my motorcycle or my relationships right, but I treated all my batteries the same and the Odyssey was unimpressive. Of course, one of my barometers (perhaps my main baromoter) is dollars per mile which would push me towards the more economical battery. However, if a battery lasted twice as long, even with my yardstick, I would be willing to pay twice as much (or maybe a little less). That is just not my experience.

Beyond that, I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

Just my own experience .... the BMW Original battery in my 2002 R1150GS was replaced after 6 years and only then because it was 6 years old. The battery in my 2006 R1200RT is the factory OEM battery and still going strong. For ME if something works well I usually do not change it and the BMW batteries have worked well. That being said if my dealer suggests a less expensive battery that they have had better experience with than the BMW battery I will usually take their advice. Last point .... while it appears the wholesale cost of a battery maybe much less than the retail consumer is charged there may be other factors related to that cost. I also, like to give the business to my local dealer when possible. I am lucky in that my local dealer does not gouge me and most always treats me fair and that is about all I ask of a dealer.

I'Ve seen hundreds of battery problems.

All types of riders, some rode all the time, some didn't.

It gets hot here. :dopeslap:

But, it also gets cold, just not much snow.

Right now I've seen 40+ degree changes in daily temperatures.

I think the primary reasons some batteries last longer is related to initial charging by retailer/customer.

The batteries that get fully charged seem to last longer.

Some get ridden home, parked and ridden intermitently.

I favor putting the battery on a charging source and then maintaining it by riding and use of a charger.

5+ years on BMW battery that I replaced just because a long trip was coming up and I didn't want to worry about it.

Three years on this one.

Frequent draining with 2 up and accessories/jackets/gloves/multiple lights countered with large capacity (840).

I always plug a charger in after riding (which is usually 100+ miles).

Expect 5+ years from this BMW battery.

Comes out to $2 month based on last purchase.

Any savings based on buying a cheaper battery I can make up w/my right wrist and the cheaper batteries I have seen over represented in the bikes with problems.

YMMV.

The way I see many people treat their battery I would be surprised to see 10 years from the average rider's battery but believe it is possible.

Best wishes.

...I also inspect my vehicle batteries regularly and thoroughly clean the cables at the first sign of any corrosion at the terminals. I have had automotive batteries last for over 10 years (Eleven years on my Ford F150 as of this writing).

Jay

Check this sealed glass mat battery that drops right in. Can't beat the price ($45)and it ships fast too!

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/sla-12/UB12220-V.html

Or buy something more expensive because??????????

Rob

Morning Rob

Owning a LOT of motorcycles with some ridden (well not so often) I have used a number of battery types and battery brands over the years.

The Westco used to be my mainstay as far as “low priced” serviceable Glass Matt battery technology but lately (last 5-6 years or so) having had a number of Westco batteries develop sudden death syndrome with no amount of charging bringing them back life and the Westco battery price increasing to what I consider high for that type of battery I have given up on the Westco brand as being penny wise and dollar foolish.

About the time the Westco batteries started to give me problems I decided to go two different routes. One was to spend the extra money and get a very reliable battery with a history of performing over many years of service to use in my every day rider and long distance travel motorcycle (for this I chose the oddesy)

For my less used bikes that just need a starting battery at a reasonable price I have chosen the UB12220 (or similar UB battery depending on battery size needed)

I buy the UB12220 or similar UB batteries when on sale if possible. (on sale I can buy 3 for the price of one oddesy)

So far the UB1220 battery’s have held up extremely well for a cheap battery. In fact I have one in an old Honda going on 6 years now and it only sees a charger about twice a year. Have one in my 4-wheeler that has been to Hell and back then sits for a month before next usage.

Now- the down side of the UB type batteries is their rather thin cases, very weak and thin battery post tangs, not a very heavy duty constructed battery.

I have been extremely happy with their long life and lack of sudden failure but not so happy with their light weight construction.

For the UB type battery to work for my requirements I isolate the battery with rubber shock absorbing padding, make stainless steel bent reinforcements for the fragile battery posts, make sure to take ALL the battery cable load off the battery post area.

You kind of get what you pay for in those low cost UB type batteries so I don’t really expect much but so far have been pleasantly surprised by their performance per dollar spent.

Early in its life, how is an OE battery treated? My RT was manufactured in Nov. '07 and purchased at retail in March '08 - the OE battery still seems fine 3 years later, having been well cared for.

What I've never been clear on is when that OE Exide battery was installed in the bike - was it at the factory, or the US port, or the dealer? Was it likely to have sat uncharged from its date of manufacture until the bike was finally sold at retail? If so, and if that constitutes "abuse", it seems some bikes' early life might explain why their batteries die early.

I agree with you. The $45 battery does have thinner posts, not sure about the case. The battery is one of the better protected devices on my RT. Behind the gas tank, under the seat, and plastic covering both ends. I don't see a battery getting any mechanical abuse on my bike, so the thinner posts and case really doesn't matter. If you subject your bike to frequent wheelies (and land the front tire hard!) or take it off-road, you may have an issue. For me and my wallet, $45 is a good deal. I am sure that I will get at least 3-4 years use from it. My 06RT had the original battery still going strong, but I have had battery issues on trips before.....2500 miles away! No fun! Again, buy what you are comfortable with. Rob

Morning Sailorlite

That is one of the big advantages of BMW using a Gel type battery as they can be installed at the time the bike is built then shipped in the bike with no hazmat or spillage concerns, then stored for long periods in the warehouse without charging or further attention. On my 1200 bikes I have been at the dealer when the crates arrived and all came from the factory with the battery installed in place (just not totally connected). Part of the dealer prep was to connect the battery then put a charger on it to bring it up to full charge.

Personally I have no use for a Gel battery in a motorcycle so the favorable shipping and storage part is my best guess as to why BMW uses a Gel over a Glass Mat. Gels do have a long shelf life and long storage life with little maintenance.

Morning Sailorlite

That is one of the big advantages of BMW using a Gel type battery as they can be installed at the time the bike is built then shipped in the bike with no hazmat or spillage concerns, then stored for long periods in the warehouse without charging or further attention. On my 1200 bikes I have been at the dealer when the crates arrived and all came from the factory with the battery installed in place (just not totally connected). Part of the dealer prep was to connect the battery then put a charger on it to bring it up to full charge.

Personally I have no use for a Gel battery in a motorcycle so the favorable shipping and storage part is my best guess as to why BMW uses a Gel over a Glass Mat. Gels do have a long shelf life and long storage life with little maintenance.

All those advantages also apply to AGM batteries. I suspect BMW use Exide Gel batteries for purely ecconomic reasons.

Andy

Nice n Easy Rider

So we go out and (1) spend 10-20K on a bike; (2) add 1000's of dollars of farkles; (3) add 1000's of dollars of riding gear; (4) spend $300-400 on tires every 7-8 K miles or so; and then we angst over what may be a $50-75 difference in cost for a battery that will probably last 4-5 years. I think an outsider would definitely consider us certifiable. :dopeslap:

I think an outsider would definitely consider us certifiable. :dopeslap:

Guilty :thumbsup:The truth is what it is!

BTW I would never spend $3-400 on new tires.....$250 is closer to my liking. So add the $100 savings in tires to the $80 savings on a new battery and I can continue to sponsor a child in Guatemala for 6 more months. Honest! Not such a bad plan. He has probably never seen a motorcycle, but at least he is getting an education and food. Certifiably glad to help :clap:

So we go out and (1) spend 10-20K on a bike; (2) add 1000's of dollars of farkles; (3) add 1000's of dollars of riding gear; (4) spend $300-400 on tires every 7-8 K miles or so; and then we angst over what may be a $50-75 difference in cost for a battery that will probably last 4-5 years. I think an outsider would definitely consider us certifiable. :dopeslap:

Once again, what is the cheapest thing on a BMW? Yep, the rider!

:grin:

Nice n Easy Rider
So add the $100 savings in tires to the $80 savings on a new battery and I can continue to sponsor a child in Guatemala for 6 more months. Honest! Not such a bad plan.

Not a bad plan at all. :thumbsup:

In terms of batteries, like others have stated, all I can do is go by experience. The stock BMW batteries (both car and motorcycle) die with virtually no warning, unlike the old lead acid batteries that you would usually know they were on their last legs a bit before they die (The one in my wifes 330 started fine one day, almost completely dead the next day, no warning whatsoever).

Given that, I didn't want to be out in the middle of Utah somewhere and have my RT battery die. So I replaced my 4+ YO RT battery last summer with a PC680. I may have gotten another year out of it, but.. given that they die with no warning, I'd rather be safe.

Again, the battery I chose was due to previous experience. I put an odyssey in my K1200RS when was replaced in 2003. It's still going in that same K1200RS now. I figured 7 years (at the time I replaced the RT battery) was pretty good proof to me that the odyssey battery would hold up.

YMMV.. that was mine :)

The Shorai battery recently became available and is getting good reviews...
I will check this out.

The latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News reviews the Shorai very positively, although it is so new that long-term reliability is unknown. The Li-ion Shorai should be about 10 pounds lighter than a lead-acid battery, which may not seem like much on a 600+ pound motorcycle, but the weight is relatively high up.

My battery is not holding a charge, rather than replace it, I want to try charging it.. I have a 'fly' lead coming off of the battery, ending in a socket with a rubber cap on it...Question is, where do I get a connector to fit to it...my charger one does not fit?

TIA...

Jim, your options are:

1. Check with your favorite motorcycle store to see if they have the adaptor you are looking for

2. Buy a new "fly lead" and use it

3. Just connect your charger directly to the battery and ignore the fly lead.

Make sure your charger is appropriate for a motorcyle battery. The charging ampereage for an automotive battery is likely too high for your purposes.

Jay

Archived