IGNORED

Car break-in Beware of this scam!

Bronx Cheer

Bronx Cheer

Yesterday my son's car was broken into in broad daylight in a parking lot. They smashed the passenger window and stole a shirt and the car registration. We were perplexed on why someone would take the risk of breaking into a car to steal a shirt?

Well, I was talking with a few friends this morning and this seems to be fast growing crime here in Salt Lake City and perhaps elsewhere. What they are after is the registration to gain your address and hopefully take you garage door opener. Then they go for the house contents. My son does not have a garage door opener so we are good there.

The bad guys are getting smarter, so beware!

We keep the remote lock on. Got to get out and key a code on the door pad. PITA, but breaking into a car is just too easy.

Dave McReynolds

We keep the remote lock on. Got to get out and key a code on the door pad. PITA, but breaking into a car is just too easy.

From a brief internet search, it looks like you could get a remote keypad that you could operate from within your car. Wouldn't this offer you the security you need without having to get out of your car (as long as you didn't write down the passcode somewhere)?

James Clark
We were perplexed on why someone would take the risk of breaking into a car to steal a shirt?

Was it made in the USA?

Joe Frickin' Friday

The opener in my car is built into the sun visor. Have there been instances where thieves have ripped off a visor like this (with embedded GD opener)?

In any event, the door from garage to house is kept locked unless one of us is actually out in the garage. If someone does manage to get into my garage they might steal my lawn mower or my motorcycle helmet, but other than that, they're not getting much, unless they can carry away an air compressor with a 60-gallon tank, or a 200-pound TIG welder.

Joe Frickin' Friday
We were perplexed on why someone would take the risk of breaking into a car to steal a shirt?

Was it made in the USA?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You win the thread. :thumbsup:

... the door from garage to house is kept locked unless one of us is actually out in the garage. If someone does manage to get into my garage they might steal my lawn mower or my motorcycle helmet, but other than that, they're not getting much....

Well, they can kick in your interior door without being seen from the street.

... the door from garage to house is kept locked unless one of us is actually out in the garage. If someone does manage to get into my garage they might steal my lawn mower or my motorcycle helmet, but other than that, they're not getting much....

Well, they can kick in your interior door without being seen from the street.

Yes, and my garage to house door is not a solid core security door.

Joe Frickin' Friday
From a brief internet search, it looks like you could get a remote keypad that you could operate from within your car. Wouldn't this offer you the security you need without having to get out of your car (as long as you didn't write down the passcode somewhere)?

In fact, I think a lot of garage door openers come with one of these keypads, intended to be attached to the house, just outside the garage door; assuming it's battery-powered, it ought to be usable from the car (and then hide/trash the non-keypad one that was originally used in the car).

Right, and if those remotes are left in the car then all that is needed is to break into the car and operate the remote. Like Mitch says, one of our cars has the visor version, which I thought was great when we got it. Then I realized it works without the key in the ignition.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood you. Mitch's post set me straight. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Kicking in doors is (part) of my job. If your door is not a solid, one piece type, it's a one-kick door. Unless your door jamb is seriously reinforced, steel, or part of a concrete wall, it doesn't matter what your door is, I can get through it by putting my boots to your door and wrecking your jamb.

If you have a steel door and steel jamb in a concrete wall... I carry tools for that.

Firefight911

Kicking in doors is (part) of my job. If your door is not a solid, one piece type, it's a one-kick door. Unless your door jamb is seriously reinforced, steel, or part of a concrete wall, it doesn't matter what your door is, I can get through it by putting my boots to your door and wrecking your jamb.

If you have a steel door and steel jamb in a concrete wall... I carry tools for that.

Damn, beat me to it!!!! :)

Locks have one purpose, they keep honest people honest.

Taking garage door openers from cars is old school. Usually they hit your car at 3am, open the door and take tools, motorcycle, cars from your garage and split.

Spark plug insulators is the tool of choice to break windows. Never leave anything in your car.

Was it made in the USA?

dAT fUNNY....

obviously not a run of the mill $7.99 version.

Prolly a $19.99 T-shirt

Also be aware of have a 'Home' setting on your GPS. The thief hits "Route Home" and knows where you live and when you'll be away.

Me? I put in the address of a neighbor I don't care for. I figure I can get home from there without the use of the GPS.

:eek:

Also be aware of have a 'Home' setting on your GPS. The thief hits "Route Home" and knows where you live and when you'll be away.

Me? I put in the address of a neighbor I don't care for. I figure I can get home from there without the use of the GPS.

I have the local police station as my 'home' ;)

Andy

I don't worry about this. Potential thieves can easily figure out where I live without my GPS telling them, and just because I am not there, how can they know that other family members (or my dogs!) will not be? I don't see the "go home" function on a GPS as any real security threat.

Jay

I have the local police station as my 'home' ;)

Andy

Me likey! :clap:

My garage overhead door is set to trip the burglar alarm after it opens. Once it is fully open you have 30 seconds to enter the home, which is detached, and enter the code. If you don't do that, the alarm goes off and you have another 30 seconds before the garage starts to close....flaw in the system is the electric eyes will reopen it (by local code) if you trip them, but the alarm will remain on.

When I valet my car, take it in for service, or otherwise leave it with anyone, I take the insurance and registration with me. My garage door opener is part of the car not a separate unit. Took it in for service a few weeks ago. When I got on the freeway to come home, I reached for my Maui Jims in the case. Case there, glasses gone. Dealer was sure no one on their staff would do such a thing.

It doesn't mean I won't become a victim, but it will be a little harder.

Why would anyone leave the registration in their car or any other form of ID ? Keep it in your wallet.......

I'm with you, but for some reason, California wants the Reg in the car at all times. So for convenience sake, it's in the glove.

laminate it and hide it under the carpet . My friends house got broke into one day. They took his keys, stole his truck and also put both his dirt bikes in the bed while they were at it. I hide all my keys in my house just for that reason.

Why would anyone leave the registration in their car or any other form of ID ? Keep it in your wallet.......

I'm with you, but for some reason, California wants the Reg in the car at all times. So for convenience sake, it's in the glove.

A facsimile of the reg is ok too. Scan the real one, electronically wipe out the address and keep a copy of that in your glove box.

While not questioning the possibility that some thieves might do this, my guess is that it's not all that common an approach to burglary. The only thing that stealing the registration would yield a thief would be the knowledge that the driver of that car was not home at the time they were breaking into the car. If the thief took the garage opener too, then he might have a somewhat easier way of getting into the house. Nonetheless, there's no guarantee that he wouldn't encounter other two or four-legged occupants upon entering through the garage.

Most ne'er-do-wells engaged in the enterprise of burglary are a bit more direct. They case a neighborhood for likely targets, wait until no one is home, and bust in through the front door or a window. Also, for those who aren't aware, the easiest form of no-fuss entry into many homes is through the garage door:

Video 2

I won't repeat all of the ways you can try to enhance your personal security at home, but removing my registration from the glove box would not necessarily be the thing I'd worry about the most.

(Incidentally, I've removed the handle from my garage door's emergency release cord and secured the mechanism with a zip tie; it's not impenetrable, but it makes it difficult enough that a burglar might decide to move on down the street to an easier target).

That is a good idea - Thanks!

Oh wait, Andy's idea is even better!

Archived