IGNORED

R1200RT oil temperature

Red RT

I have an '05 RT. I am the first owner. During the fall riding season I have noticed that the bike's normal engine temperature is a little bit higher that it used to be. The first few years the operating oil temperature was usually half way between the first and second clicks. On hot days it may have been a little higher but not much. Now, riding in the spring weather, with the ambient temperatures in the 50-60F range the normal oil temperature is showing about 1.8 clicks (1 and 4/5 clicks). I am wondering if anyone have had this kind of oil temperature change after a few years of riding... Touching the oil cooler feels warm to the touch, not hot at all... Could this change be just a fluke of the oil temperature sensor or something else? Thanks for any input.

Evening Red

Things like gasoline volatility and engine oil type/thickness can have an effect on oil temperature shown on the gauge. Not sure of your location but if winter gasoline is still being pumped in your area that has a lot of very light ends that can change the BTU content of the gasoline.

It could also be a change in the sensitivity of your oil temperature sensor due to oxidation or varnish buildup.

Don’t forget that the oil temperature gauge shows the temperature of the oil that is exiting the engine after picking up cylinder head heat not oil temperature in the sump waiting to circulate.

Put 86K on my '05 and the oil temp stayed right below the second click mark whether hot, cold, sitting in Florida traffic, or grinding up UT12 in first gear behind a dump truck.

Bill

aggieengineer

I've seen the temperature probe that screws onto the rear of the cylinder, but where is there an oil temperature probe?

aggieengineer

It would be interesting to know how the electronics uses both cylinder and oil temperature to produce an indication on the dash. Thanks for the info.

Evening aggieengineer

The cylinder head temperature (one on each cyl head early 1200’s only on one cyl head later 1200’s) is used by the fueling computer not the dash gauge. The dash gauge only uses the oil temperature sender.

Thanks for the input guys. This is the first time I used BMW 10w50 motor oil for winter driving. Maybe the thinner oil makes a difference. I always used BMW 20w50 to date year around. I am planning to change the oil again, probably the end of April, to either the BMW 20w50 conventional oil or BMW 15W50 synthetic. BTW, spoke to Blackstone labs a few days ago and it seems the Mobil1 15w50 synthetic oil essentially has the same additives as BMW 15w50 synthetic... so I might try Mobil1's oil.

Archived