IGNORED

GMail slow for you?????

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Gmail's been driving me crazy lately. Sometimes it takes forever, I mean FOREVER to load, other times it will take minutes to get new mail, or send an email. This has been going on for about a month. Googling I see similar problems from a year or two or three ago, but nothing current.

I suspected my anti-virus software. (AVG) I am also using Windows live-mail. When windows live messenger installed it self, it all slowed down.

I'm using Win 7

When windows live messenger installed it self, it all slowed down.

'Nuff said. However, Gmail carries a lot of Javascript overhead, and can take a while to load. Try this "lightweight" Gmail URL and see if it's any faster:

https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

It should load virtually instantly; if not, Windows is probably doing something to slow things down. Try uninstalling Live Messenger.

markgoodrich
When windows live messenger installed it self, it all slowed down.

'Nuff said. However, Gmail carries a lot of Javascript overhead, and can take a while to load. Try this "lightweight" Gmail URL and see if it's any faster:

https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

It should load virtually instantly; if not, Windows is probably doing something to slow things down. Try uninstalling Live Messenger.

I tried your suggestion...I don't have Live Messenger on either laptop, one an old XP unit, and the other an newer Sony Win 7 unit. The stripped version of gmail is a little quicker to load, but still takes a long time to update, send, etc...on both machines. I get a lot of "server errors" too.

Everything else in Firefox loads quicker'n a fat lady jumping up to yell 'BINGO' at a blackout competition.

Given the two operating systems, I strongly suspect either gmail.

I suspected my anti-virus software. (AVG) I am also using Windows live-mail. When windows live messenger installed it self, it all slowed down.

I'm using Win 7

I got fed up with AVG, always getting updates at 8:30 a.m., slowing everything down to a crawl, so I removed it.

Computer is back to waiting for me instead of the other way around, the way it should be!

markgoodrich

Polo, I ditched AVG a long time ago, one of my computers uses Trend Micro, the other uses Microsoft Security Essentials. I doubt they're both the culprits...and again, everything else loads 'bingo.'

Gmail's been driving me crazy lately. Sometimes it takes forever, I mean FOREVER to load, other times it will take minutes to get new mail, or send an email. This has been going on for about a month. Googling I see similar problems from a year or two or three ago, but nothing current.

Gmail is slow every day, for someone.

We've got around 6,000 active Gmail accounts, and I'd estimate 2 or 3 times a week someone comes in with a legitimate report of Google slowness that requires the intervention of the email staff, to whom it escalates from the help desk. Sometimes Google support (which we have as an enterprise customer) comes back with a report of an actual problem with the server the person was operating from. Sometimes the problem just magically disappears.

As a general rule, always try multiple browsers. If that doesn't work, try disabling any Labs you may have enabled. If that doesn't work... I don't know consumer Gmail users are supposed to do, other than wait. Eventually, Google seems to find all of the problems.

Archived