IGNORED

High Beam Repair

OlGeezer

I finally got the courage to fix my high beam this weekend. I just thought I would share my experience in return for all the help I've received on this forum.

First I set up a test bench with my 12 volt lantern battery and checked continuity at every step.

Second, I needed to attach a wire to replace the problematic ground tang. By trial and error, I noticed that the base of the light bulb which was held in place by the brass-type metal spring was a good ground connection point. So, I decided to make my contact point the little metal tab coming out of the headlight socket.

DSCN0051.jpg

I installed a small tab on the end of the wire to slide it between the metal tab and plastic socket. I attempted to secure the tab to the socket with epoxy, but that was not effective. I then tried to drill through the assembly so that I could install a small sheet metal screw, but the tab was too hard to drill through. The only thing left was soldering it in place. I was concerned about melting the plastic socket (which I did), but this connection was finally secure.

DSCN0053.jpg

I ran the wire through the plastic cover by drilling a hole and installing a grommet. The grommet fit so well, I decided not to worry about sealing it with silicon. I may regret this later.

I couldn't find a good ground connection, so I ran a ground wire back to the battery and connected the two wires with a slide connector and wrapped it in electrical tape.

Voila!

DSCN0054.jpg

I'm not sure how long this connection is going to last mostly because it doesn't feel like the grounding tang holds the bulb in very securely. If it doesn't last, I will have to remove the entire assembly and put it on the bench so that I have good access to the back of the headlight assembly. Of course, I could really justify a new headlight assembly. The one I have is really sandblasted. I bet I could get some really good lighting if the headlight lens was actually clear instead of foggy. But why really worry about it? After all, it's not like I'm going to keep this bike forever. Right?

sebjones906

Sounds like the Coffee Klatch discussion, at lease, headed you in the right direction. When we start yakking 5 heads do come up with some good ideas. Glad you were smarter than the rest of us and found a way to same $$$$$.

BTW Thanks for the e-mail forward. I have talked to them and will try and go to the meeting.

Sounds like the Coffee Klatch discussion...

Yeah, when I could get you guys to stop talking about trivial things and return the discussion to MY PROBLEMS.

:grin:

Of course, I could really justify a new headlight assembly. The one I have is really sandblasted. I bet I could get some really good lighting if the headlight lens was actually clear instead of foggy. But why really worry about it? After all, it's not like I'm going to keep this bike forever. Right?

Oh man.....don't replace your headlight housing unless you have to. Those 1150 housings are crazy expensive. You'd have to keep your bike at least another 100k miles to justify it ;)

Joking aside. If you want to fix your cloudy headlight, just pick up a reconditioning kit from the auto parts store. They are made to fit in the end of a drill, and come with several velcro removable sanding disks of varies grit. You basically wet sand them and polish them back to clear. With less an hours worth of your time, you can have a brand new clear headlight for cheap. I did it to the headlights on my Wife's '03 Toyota Corolla last fall and they still look good as new. When I started, the lights had that ugly yellow frosted look to them. They were pretty much useless for driving after dark. I was really blown away by how well the final product came out. I was really skeptical, but I'm thrilled with the results. I think the kit was made by Meguiar's, but I can't remember,

Keith -

I picked up one of those kits for just that reason. Is the BMW lens polycarbonate? That would explain why I was underwhelmed. I don't think those kits work too well on polycarbonate lenses. My lens isn't yellow, it's pitted.

I'll be surprised if you can do anything with a glass lens other then prevention :lurk::lurk:

After my attempt, I tend to agree. Perhaps I can use the remaining materials to clean up the headlights on my Mustang.

....I tend to agree.....

Not the answer I was hoping for :P

(Always looking for that magic product or tip).

Keith -

I picked up one of those kits for just that reason. Is the BMW lens polycarbonate? That would explain why I was underwhelmed. I don't think those kits work too well on polycarbonate lenses. My lens isn't yellow, it's pitted.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what the 1150 lens is made from. I just knew that it was not glass, and figured it was repairable if it became cloudy. Guess I'm wrong?

Keith -

To tell you the truth, I don't know what the 1150 lens is made from. I just knew that it was not glass, and figured it was repairable if it became cloudy. Guess I'm wrong?

My 1150 has a glass lens - judging by the chip in the surface.

Andy

Then I certainly stand corrected. For some reason I thought they were some sort of plastic. Sorry for the bad info.

Go about your business.......nothing to see here :dopeslap:

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be surprised if you can do anything with a glass lens other then prevention :lurk::lurk:

That's exactly why I bought the AeroFlow.

That's exactly why I bought the AeroFlow.

I bought one when I got the bike but decided I didn't like the looks of it. I recently saw a R1150RT with a 3M film over the lens. It was invisible. That would be a great solution.

It doesn't matter now. After all, this bike CAN'T run much longer, can it?

I ended up with a hole in my headlight a few years ago. There was a little pebble rattling around inside the housing.

DSC00006_Print.jpg

The first thing I did to the replacement housing was install one of those clear lens protectors with the adhesive on the back. I'm not 100% sure this is exactly what I bought, but you get the idea.

http://www.aerostich.com/14-mil-headlight-shield.html

And here is a link back to when it happened LINK

Its been on there for years now (since 2007 and ~60k miles), and still looks good as new. I also added it to the aftermarket headlights I installed in my Jeep. I think its well worth the minimal entry fee for the amount of protection you get. Plus its not ugly like those big add on acrylic lens protectors.

Archived