IGNORED

How to clean wax off black plastic parts?

blackyam

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I'm an idiot (on many fronts). When I washed and waxed my R1200RT for the first time earlier this season, I applied wax (Crystal-Glo actually) to the black plastic parts (like around the mirrors) in addition to the parts painted ostra grey. Now the black parts have a cloudy white look. :-( What is the easiest best way to restore the beautiful black? TIA.

---John.

Thank you all for your replies. I will give Mothers Back-to-Black a try after our current round of rain in NorCal ends. If that doesn't work---but it sounds like it should---then maybe I'll try using a pencil eraser (although that sounds like it would require a lot of elbow grease), peanut butter, WD-40, UV Tech, or Pig Spit if needed.

Thanks again.

---John.

Peanut butter. No kidding.

Then...what do I use to keep the SQUIRRELS away? :dopeslap:

I've got this mental image of an RT covered with squirrels. LOL!!! Around here that could actually happen!!

I have also heard of the peanut butter method but have yet to try on my Silverado. I have found the back to black leaves a film streaking down the side of the truck after a rain storm.

The problem with most oil based (armorall et al) methods is that they only appear to produce a fix by being absorbed by the wax and rendering it invisible, hence seeming return of the wax as it dries out.

The pencil eraser actually removes it.

I would try alcohol then put your favorite on Black-to-Black or Armour All.

I agree. Either alcohol or a commercial wax remover like auto body shops use to prep a paint job. If the area has already been waxed I don't think any of the 'shine' products will do the trick until the wax is gone.

From Griots Garage,,,

Dried-On Wax Remover, 8 Ounces

From the web page

"Easily Remove Dried-On Wax

One of the most frequent car care questions I get asked here at Griot's Garage is, "How do I remove dried-on wax from my trim?" Beside me saying, "Don't be so sloppy when applying the wax," the answer is "Use our Dried-On Wax Remover". This product was specially formulated to dissolve dried wax so you can easily wipe it away. It is safe for your vehicle's plastic or rubber parts. Apply directly to the affected area using a cloth or one of our Yellow Scrubbing Pads. Work in small sections and wipe with a clean dry cloth in one direction. Fast, simple and easy. I have so much fun making your life easier! "

Jerry Johnston

Acetone is powerful stuff and may eat into the plastic. Have you tried it on the side bags? It's great for cleaning parts but bad to breathe.

Yep have fought this problem for many years. And all the above posted stuff is just a "waste of $ or a bandaid" lasting about a day or two or until it rains.

That *Dried-On Wax Remover" posted above soundz like worth a try.

Buy it and post your results.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, y'all. I finally got around to this today. I went to look for some wax remover from our AutoZone and found some Dupli-Color Touch-Up Repair Prep-Wipe Towelette that I used first after washing the bike. I used one towelette, torn into several pieces, and wiped the affected parts several times. There were a few spots left after I'd used up the towelette, and I removed those using a Staedtler Mars plastic pencil eraser. After that it really looked OK to me, and I debated whether to use Back-to-Black. In the end, I decided that I would since I'd already bought a bottle. Now those black plastic parts look quite acceptable.

Thank you all for your help.

---John.

For years I wanted a wax that I could use on everything. Rubber, plastic,glass etc.

I found it last year, Turtle Ice. I love this stuff.

Archived