IGNORED

How much extra are you willing to pay for "Made in the US"?

Whip

The question is, "How much more will you pay to help them achieve that?"

Certainly not $19.99, if a $6.00 alternative is available. However, if all the Tee's cost $19.99, under a coordinated policy as discussed above, then I guess I'd pay $19.99, if I really wanted a Tee. If I didn't want one that bad, I guess I'd do without, which would help our balance of payments deficit.

Those are not the only options, what if you could pay $1 more for a Fair Trade T shirt?

Certainly not $19.99, if a $6.00 alternative is available. However, if all the Tee's cost $19.99, under a coordinated policy as discussed above, then I guess I'd pay $19.99, if I really wanted a Tee. If I didn't want one that bad, I guess I'd do without, which would help our balance of payments deficit.

Those are not the only options, what if you could pay $1 more for a Fair Trade T shirt?

So far as I can tell, I don't pay any extra for Fair Trade Coffee, and the products my step-sister offers meet the objectives I set above, and more as they include education leading to eventual independence, for very reasonable prices. IMHO rapacious business practices usually benefit the business, and not the eventual consumer.

Dave McReynolds

If the goods were produced under conditions that would be legal under US laws, I would buy the product. My purpose here is not to grant US workers a monopoly, just to level the playing field.

John Ranalletta

I don't trust Time mag, but if you do, go for it...

Fair Trade pays $1.55 per lb. for Antonio's organic coffee, almost 10% more than the market price. But Antonio is left with only 50¢ per lb. after paying Fair Trade cooperative fees, government taxes and farming expenses. By year's end, he says, from the few thousand pounds he grows, he'll pocket about $1,000 — around half the meager minimum wage in Guatemala — or $2.75 a day, not enough for Starbucks' cheapest latte. The same holds true for other Guatemalan growers, like Mateo Reynoso, also from Quetzaltenango. Without Fair Trade, he says, "we wouldn't be growing coffee anymore." But even Fair Trade prices "haven't kept up" with the costs small farmers face, he adds.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1926007,00.html#ixzz1HHFhyAfJ

Whip,

I didn't read others comments first, so you get my uninfluenced op, your lucky day. ;-)

I looked at these 'T's' from Camber. They have quality features, taped seams in neck and shoulders, features usually unheard of in underwear.

I would pay $20 for a printed 'T'. $20 is close to what I pay for a shirt when I'm traveling, which is just about the only time I'll pick up a printed shirt. And these are the branded 'T's' you deal with now.

Now, if a person can walk next door and buy the same print on a foreign made 'T' for $10-12 less, I dunno how that will fair for you.

BTW, a poll would be a good addition to this thread.

Archived