IGNORED

Lowering an '85 K100RT

claudejones

claudejones

I've just returned to riding after a hiatus of 40 years. At 62 I'm starting to lose some height (my inseam is 29"). I've bought an 85 K100RT with two seats. One's an after market Corbin that's very comfortable, but only allows the tips of my toes to touch the ground on either side. The stock seat is better, allowing me to plant the front half of each foot down. I'm looking for a way to lower the riding profile.

1) Can anyone recommend after market seats, or seat builders?

2) Are there any things I can do with the suspension such as lowering the front forks? (I've heard conflicting things on how wise this is...)

3) I found one after market rear shock that was supposed to be one inch shorter, but it was built for '89's and up. Does a one inch shortening of the rear shock result in much lowering of the bike anyhow? If so, does anyone know of after-market lower shocks for an older '85 K100?

Boots, see cobbler add 1/2 inch.

Seat, where are you?

Most aftermarket are wider that makes seat seem higher.

Some local builders can make seat better and they might not be part of the big 5 nationally known ones.

Or, look for a factory lowered 800ST.

Light, power, right height.

Welcome to the board.

claudejones

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think 1/2" on my boots is going to get me to the ground.

I did talk to Corbin on Sat, and they have a "Sport Saddle" model that is lower than the "Touring Saddle" I have, and if you order a new one, they'll custom cut it for you even lower. I'm seriously thinking of going this route. I can sell the Corbin Touring Saddle I have which is nearly new and in perfect condition, and my stock seat, and probably get most of the price of a new replacement.

I don't really want to trade out to another bike - I like this one a lot for many reasons, so I'd prefer to make it work.

Thanks for the welcome.

Progressive makes a rear shock that is an 1 inch shorter, also change out the fork springs, and cheat down the triple tree(be careful with the last bit as it will impact the handling).

Seat design on the 85's is year specific, no other year will fit. I think you'll find the stock seat is better only until you try and ride it over 100 miles -then it is hard as a rock, and slippery as well. I have a Corbin Dual Canyon on mine that was cut down when made.

The above plus the 1/2 inch on the boots might get you there with a 29inch inseam. The 85's are tall in the saddle.

claudejones
Progressive makes a rear shock that is an 1 inch shorter, also change out the fork springs, and cheat down the triple tree(be careful with the last bit as it will impact the handling).

I had wondered whether lowering the forks was an option since it's clearly possible. Do you know what the limits are? I looked up the Progressive shock and it's actually 3/4" shorter - maybe between getting that, and lowering the forks an inch, I could get close to what I need.

Seat design on the 85's is year specific, no other year will fit. I think you'll find the stock seat is better only until you try and ride it over 100 miles -then it is hard as a rock, and slippery as well. I have a Corbin Dual Canyon on mine that was cut down when made.

The above plus the 1/2 inch on the boots might get you there with a 29inch inseam. The 85's are tall in the saddle.

Yes, I knew about the unique seat for the '85 model year. I have also experienced what you describe with the stock seat - that's why I'm looking into a Corbin that will work. My Corbin Dual Canyon is practically brand new so I think I can get a decent price for it on eBay from what I've seen of completed sales. That'll get me close to what I'll have to pay for a Corbin Sport Saddle which they've told me they can modify to make it even lower if I buy it new.

I've heard folks lowering the triple clamp 1-1 1/4 inches, I'm going to try it to lower mine so my height challenged son can ride it. It is something you might have to try a couple time to see what you are comfortable with. It WILL affect steering angles so some parking lot practice will be in order.

Corbin can also just recut the Dual Canyon you have rather than sell you a new seat.

PS - fill in your Profile for the site. Helps to know a little about each other.

claudejones
Where are you located??

I'm in Brunswick, MD which is about 55 miles west of Washington, DC and minutes from Harpers Ferry, WV

claudejones
I've heard folks lowering the triple clamp 1-1 1/4 inches, I'm going to try it to lower mine so my height challenged son can ride it. It is something you might have to try a couple time to see what you are comfortable with. It WILL affect steering angles so some parking lot practice will be in order.

Thanks for that thought - didn't think about steering angles

Corbin can also just recut the Dual Canyon you have rather than sell you a new seat.

We discussed that, but they said they'd have to cut a new cover for it and by the time they did that as well as reshaping, it would almost be as much as a new seat. They make a "Sports Saddle" which starts out much lower than the dual canyon, and they'll custom cut it down for you for free if you but it new...

PS - fill in your Profile for the site. Helps to know a little about each other.

OK - thought I'd done that

Dennis Andress
Where are you located??

I'm in Brunswick, MD which is about 55 miles west of Washington, DC and minutes from Harpers Ferry, WV

Thanks. I wanted to recommend a local upholstery shop for your seat, but it's probably too far away...

Dennis Andress

Mac's Auto Upholstery

1241 East Thompson Boulevard

Ventura, CA 93001-3113

(805) 643-5257

They reworked both mine and my wife's seats for under $200 each.They'll want you to hang out with them so you can try the seat as they rework it. Price depends on how long the work takes. Call ahead to make a reservation.

I'm not sure about "Since 1950," other than the owner claims to have owned a Harley dealership back then...

1089627735_UEmUN-L.jpg

Archived