IGNORED

Gear Position Indicator - 2004 R1150RT

BMW_Ken

After riding about 2 hrs in heavy rain, my gear position indicator went flaky.

I have read of several neutral light switches going bad, but very few gear position indicator switches malfunctioning. The microfiche for the R1150RT does not seem to show a separate neutral switch. Does anyone know if they were combined into one switch on the R1150RT?

Hi Ken:

A similar thing happened to me on my 2003 RT when it was about a year old. After about 3 hours in heavy rain (why do we do this?)my indicator started behaving eratically. It only indicated the right gear once in a while, and probably by chance. I made some inquiries right here on this forum and I believe I was advised I was going to have to replace the sending unit as the corrosion gremlins would be setting in sooner or later. Procrastinator that I am, I delayed doing anything other than riding the bike for a couple weeks, annoyed that I didn't know for sure what gear I was in.

About the time I was getting used to it, the problem disappeared. It probably dried out. It must have self sealed too as it still works 7 years and many rainy rides later. Perhaps you will get lucky too if you aren't in too much of a hurry. Good luck. I understand getting at the switch itself is a significant job.

Evening Ken

That isn’t unusual when riding in very wet weather. Lots of 1100/1150 RT’s do/did that. The shift position indicator switch is a very low current affair so even a little water will drive the internal continuity crazy.

Just ride it a while and see if it goes back to normal (they usually do).

Had the same thing happen to my 2005 1150RT when riding through rain for about 4-5 days straight. After it dried out, worked perfectly. Just let it dry for a few days and you will be fine. It hasn't happened to me since on the occasional few hours of rain.

I've had the same issue occur after every extended rain ride for the last several years. It always corrects itself after a couple dry riding days, faster if it's hot out.

Hi Ken:

A similar thing happened to me on my 2003 RT when it was about a year old. After about 3 hours in heavy rain (why do we do this?)my indicator started behaving eratically. It only indicated the right gear once in a while, and probably by chance. I made some inquiries right here on this forum and I believe I was advised I was going to have to replace the sending unit as the corrosion gremlins would be setting in sooner or later. Procrastinator that I am, I delayed doing anything other than riding the bike for a couple weeks, annoyed that I didn't know for sure what gear I was in.

About the time I was getting used to it, the problem disappeared. It probably dried out. It must have self sealed too as it still works 7 years and many rainy rides later. Perhaps you will get lucky too if you aren't in too much of a hurry. Good luck. I understand getting at the switch itself is a significant job.

Archived