IGNORED

SEAT PROBLEM

Rascal

Hi

I am new to the forum therefore greetings to all,I have what is to me a nightmare of a problem regarding the seat of my recently purchased 1100 RT.

I purchased the bike just before the winter set in therefore have not been on any long trips yet however I have carried out a complete service and the bike is now ready to roll

I am really pleased with the bike, I also have an 1100 GS and this bike is simular but with better protection and this is the way that I wanted to go.

Now here is my problem I find that the seat is not uncomfortable but is giving me probems in the prostate area, anyone who has suffered with this condition will know what pain this can cause. This is a problem that I have had before but not with all seats, the seat on my GS is ok and does not give me any problems.

I need to find a solution to this otherwise I will have to sell the bike which would be a major disapointment. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Jerry Johnston

If it's the stock seat I'd replace it with an aftermarket seat and there's already plenty of advice on those in other posts.

Hi Mike

Is there anyone local to you that has the 1150RT ? as you could try the seat from that as I think its the same as the 1100RT comfort seat ( more padding ), and it makes a lot of difference.

Or maybe a local dealer has an 1150 in stock theyd let you try the seat from ?

Unfortunately I'm probably a little too far away to be of help for you.

Good luck

Greetings and welcome! Fortunately I don't have your problem but, if changing or trying out other seats doesn't help, I'd take the seat to a local upholsterer and have then remove some foam from the seat in the offending area and leaving enough foam to support the rest of your "seat" followed by reapply the cover. Good luck.

Try putting a spacer under the front mounting assembly - you may need longer bolts - this may seem counter-intuitive but it stops you sliding forwards putting pressure on the family jewels.

Andy

Welcome Mike,

I'm fairly new here too. You've come to the right place. Every question I've ever had has been answered in great detail.

Regarding your seat issue, check here: http://www.bmwrt.com/faq/shim_seat.htm .

Check out the FAQ page. It's loaded with good info.

And sometime you should ask everyone's opinion on what oil to use. Good fun.

Again welcome,

Ken

Bruce (Bedford)

Hi Mike

Not, thankfully, the same cause but the same problem - how to make my seat a 500 mile seat rather than a 250 mile seat. I did 670 miles one loooong day last summer - NEVER again!!!

So far I have scoured the internet, including this forum (It's brilliant) and got some good tips leading me to buy a 'spare seat' Ebay £30, to experiment with.

My intention is to re-upholster one seat using memory foam & a gel pad. The construction is dead simple.

Currently work and seasonal blues are stopping me but the intent is there.

Raising the front is a good idea from Andy.

I'm in Bedford UK where are you?

'Bedford'

And sometime you should ask everyone's opinion on what oil to use. Good fun.

Ken

Troublemaker! :)

My bike doesn't "use" oil, if by "use" you mean the oil level goes down between oil changes.

:/

You might look into Spencer's seat mods: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php I sent my stock 1150RT seat in for a rework. He had me write up a detailed list of the problem areas and had me send pics of me sitting on the bike. Very quick turnaround time and $75 later, I got my seat back which so far is infinitely more comfy than it was before.

You might look into Spencer's seat mods: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php I sent my stock 1150RT seat in for a rework. He had me write up a detailed list of the problem areas and had me send pics of me sitting on the bike. Very quick turnaround time and $75 later, I got my seat back which so far is infinitely more comfy than it was before.

***As of last year he no longer accepts seats from outside the US***

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try raising the seat as suggested I have also made a cover out of sheep skin to try. If none of this works I now have a spare seat to have re upholstered however this would be expensive if it does not work.

Bedford I am based near Gatwick, please let me know if you have managed to solve the problem. I will keep this post going there will most probably be others who will have simular problems.

Regards

Mike

Eckhard Grohe

I also found the standard seat unbearable and ended up buying a Corbin after trying a Sargent seat. Standard disclaimers apply. The Corbin has a real saddle shape where you buttocks and thighs are supported something lacking in the BM and Sargent. Also the BMW seat pad has a whole lot of pockets in it which eventually translate into valleys to the peaks you end up sitting on.

I have always wanted to mold a pan out of metal or carbon fiber and attach that to the stock pan to increase the support surface of this instrument of torture and hopefully have it become an instrument of pleasure. But I bought a Corbin instead and am happy with the compromise.

I was in the same situation as you.

I initially put a 1/4" spacer under the front seat adjusting mech. The improvement was HUGE.

I then thought if 1/4" was good 3/8" may be better & it was.

I don't think any increase beyond that gives increased comfort.

This is an easy fix.

Trying out an R1150RT seat is also an easy thing, because they are readily available and someone would gladly lend you it for the day. (IMHO, a good seat, if your legs are a reasonable length, otherwise the narrower 1100 seat allows you to touch the ground more easily).

The advice to look at after market seats is OK, but a very cautious approach must be taken because it is a very personal opinion if you like a Sarget , a Russell, a corbin or any other VERY expensive seat.

Andy

I took the seat off, pulled the staples and cover off, then used a bread knife to narrow the front foam and cut a channel from near the front to back 1.5" wide. Used my construction stapler to staple the stretched cover back on. MUCH better!

I have the unreasonably short leg problem but I also found the stock low seat less than I wanted. I found a used Rick Mayer seat on this forum in the classified section for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. I got lucky because this seat is perfect.

The difference is incredible.

Now I can really enjoy the bike.

Bruce (Bedford)

Hi

A picture of the sheepskin cover would be good, it's a route I've had suggested and have in the back of my mind.

In the mean time if the weather continues as it is now I may well tax & insure the 'bike & get riding again!! Whoopee...

Bruce (Bedford)

Oh yes - obviously I'm in Bedford & have changed my profile to show my name - what the heck & why not!!!

Bruce

Hi

..In the mean time if the weather continues as it is now I may well tax & insure the 'bike & get riding again!! Whoopee...

What! you fair weather rider!...

;=]

Bruce (Bedford)

Undeniably, unrepentantly and wholly unreasonably a fair weather rider!

But when it happens oh my, Poland & Romania this summer - me, my bike, my tent & Lidl. Hence sorting the seat out.

Last Spring I ‘did’ the Somme – seat no issue but in the summer when I went to the Pyrenees for ‘Le Tour’ ouch my behind was numb & after my 670 mile last day, well I’ve not ridden since. The other thing to get is a pair of gel gloves ala our distant cycling cousins.

As mentioned I have a R1150 seat to modify (Ebay) – I’ll try it first then decide which I’ll modify. I have a gel wheelchair cushion (via our local Freecycle) the covers are both good and un-staple quite simply.

According to Spencer (thanks Oldyam) he trims here & there to free the butt or the wedding tackle – can’t be too difficult (can it?) & my wife will be in charge anyway!

Lifting the front ala Andy will be tried too.

So I just need a warm week – Bedford is so much further north you see…

Cheers

Bruce

I have a 99 as well. The first year I thought is was me being soft after a 10 year hiatus from riding as my bum hurt more as the season went on and the rides got longer. The second season I realized I had done permanent damage to my bum as it hurt right from the first day of riding and even after riding in a car for more than two hours.

I gulped and spent the money on Russell Day Long and only regret not doing it in year 1.

There are other excellent options than a Russell as well. Go to a rally and ask if you can test sit on a few saddles....buy them a beer for their time to let you ruminate your decision while setting sitting on their bike.

Save you bum and go aftermarket....the guy at BMW who designed the seats retired and since then a style oriented designer does them. Look great from the curb but they all stink for the intended purpose...comfort.

Save you bum and go aftermarket....the guy at BMW who designed the seats retired and since then a style oriented designer does them. Look great from the curb but they all stink for the intended purpose...comfort.

Don't jump the gun until you have fitted that 3/8" spacer.

As many of us have found, a few peenies spent here can transform your comfort and save you hundreds of £'s on an unecessary (for some of us) aftermarket saddle (which may still not be that good).

Andy

Archived