IGNORED

My Review of 2010 RT vs Honda ST1300ABS

tsp

After riding the ST1100 a few years and then purchasing a new 2003 ST1300ABS I switched back to BMW with the purchase of a 2010 R1200RT. I should add that I sold my old 1984 R80RT to purchase the 1996 ST1100 in 1999. I was blown away by the power and speed of the ST when I test drove it.

Anyway... my review is at: http://swriding.blogspot.com/2011/03/rt-vs-st.html

Keep in mind that I mainly purchased the RT instead of keeping the Honda or getting the K1300GT which is a closer match to the Honda ST because of the much lighter weight of the RT. At 64 I'm beginning to get a bit old so the old man's bike was a good option for me.

tsp

2010 R1200RT

Great review... I did the same thing four years ago, from an 04 ST1300ABS to a 06 RT... good move for me...

BTW, in your photo on the review, I see you are holding up my handiwork... I am the dude that designed the ST-Owners.com logo... looks like it is being put to good use.

Chris

More props for a good review.

I rode my buddy's ST1300 a few times and I give that motor even more credit for smooth power. I also found his OEM fairing less turbulent (probably a height difference between us).

But that heat!! Total leg roaster compared my RT, which throws near zero heat on me (as you noted). My buddy fabricated some airflow wings because the left side heat was killing him through his leathers and boots. We ran a thermocouple test some years ago and the surface in front of his left leg was getting 20 degrees C hotter than the hot crotch region of my (then) FJR1300!

cali_beemer

I had an 05 St1300, traded it for an 05 RT. The RT was a much better bike IMO. I hated my St1300. I hated it with a passion! The suspension was crap, it had stability issues past 80mph, horrible aerodymaics, heavy and a pic at low speeds. The heat would melt anything in the glovebox and roast my boys...well...you see where this is going. The St1300 is one bike on my, "never will I own again" list.

Such a biased report! :grin: Thanks for sharing anyway.

Seriously, glad you are having a good time on your BMW. I'm on my 1st, a 2006 R1200ST and there's no new bike to date I'd trade for it for many of the reasons you like your RT.

Thanks for the nicely thought out review. I love my ST1300 ABS, though I came from the 1150 RT. Everything I’ve read about the 1200 RT says it’s much smoother and more powerful than the 1150.

You’re spot on about the great BMW gear indicator and factory cruise: If Honda e-v-e-r updates the ST 1300, it needs to integrate these features.

And lose weight. I'm about your age, and muscling the ST 1300 around my gravel driveway may prompt me to a lighter mount in a few years.

That's part of the problem. The ST1300 first appeared as a 2003 model and as far as I know has not changed in any major way so far. In other words my 2003 is the same as a 2010 ST1300ABS except for color.

tsp

With all due respect, how can you compare 2 motorcycles that are 7 model years apart?

Gil Horsley

Atlanta, GA

That's part of the problem. The ST1300 first appeared as a 2003 model and as far as I know has not changed in any major way so far. In other words my 2003 is the same as a 2010 ST1300ABS except for color.

Pretty much the case here. Aside from a body panel covering up the hole on both sides of the bike (right side for the battery, left side for the suspension adjuster knob), the ST hasn't changed one bit. Plus, for 2011, there is NO ST being built. Most ST owners assume the current VFR1200 is going to morph into the ST replacement... but after the fiasco that is the "new" Gold Wing, it doesn't look good for even an ST replacement. That would be a shame as Honda's VFR isn't a replacement for the ST1300 in anyone's book.

..........That would be a shame as Honda's VFR isn't a replacement for the ST1300 in anyone's book.

Hmmm, interesting comment. I keep looking at the VFR1200 as a potential replacement for my two BMW's. It needs more fuel capacity and a cruise control to get me interested. On the other hand maybe I shouldn't have ever sold my K1200RS.

With all due respect, how can you compare 2 motorcycles that are 7 model years apart?

Gil Horsley

Atlanta, GA

Sometimes more easily than you would ever think. I looked at my '96 RT and compared it to bikes in the 2002-2004 era before I bought her. Most of the newer ones still did not have ABS or an electrically adjustable windscreen, both of which I find very important. Since I could care less about "horsepower wars", it was amazing how the old girl still held her own at the prom, even to this day.

The ST1300 has been here in the US for 8 model years. Correct, there is no 2011. Also correct is that only the color has been changed. What is remarkable is how well a 2002 design stands up against the 2011 RT. Sure the Honda is short on bells, whistles and gadgets, if that's your thing, but have you noticed how much space is taken-up on this site by problems with those gizmoes? The Honda is in a whole different league when it comes to reliablility, in my opinion (which my wife will tell you isn't worth much) The best part is their gas gauge and final drive work forever. Let's hope the new K16s are in Honda's league.

pete

I'm the OP. If you noticed, I rated the ST winner on reliability. Some people like gadgets, others don't. I like gadgets. The ones I consider even a safety feature are ABS, ESA, cruise control, electric windshield, heated grips and seat, and even the gear indicator.

On the Honda, besides the reliability (and price!) already discussed, I love the engine, power, range, and ABS but for a total package I am very happy with the BMW RT. Also the FD has been modified twice so far. Let's hope it holds up well.

That being said, I respect your opinion. I like the ST too but my wife didn't like it when I had 3 bikes at one time.

tsp

2010 R1200RT

The ST1300 has been here in the US for 8 model years. Correct, there is no 2011. Also correct is that only the color has been changed. What is remarkable is how well a 2002 design stands up against the 2011 RT. Sure the Honda is short on bells, whistles and gadgets, if that's your thing, but have you noticed how much space is taken-up on this site by problems with those gizmoes? The Honda is in a whole different league when it comes to reliablility, in my opinion (which my wife will tell you isn't worth much) The best part is their gas gauge and final drive work forever. Let's hope the new K16s are in Honda's league.

pete

Honda's ST1300 has alot of plusses, e.g., power, smoothness, wind protection, reliability, range, handling, though I'm biased having recently returned from NM and an ST ride to AZ. Perhaps I'll favor by my beemer when I extricate it from the storage shed (in my MA town, April 1st ends the on street parking ban, freeing up garage space for my bike).

To anyone who hasn't ridden an ST, give it a try. It's a real road burner, well suited for 100 mph rides.

Wooster

cali_beemer
Honda's ST1300 has alot of plusses, e.g., power, smoothness, wind protection, reliability, range, handling, though I'm biased having recently returned from NM and an ST ride to AZ. Perhaps I'll favor by my beemer when I extricate it from the storage shed (in my MA town, April 1st ends the on street parking ban, freeing up garage space for my bike).

To anyone who hasn't ridden an ST, give it a try. It's a real road burner, well suited for 100 mph rides.

Wooster

I guess its different strokes for different folks. My St1300 was downright dangerous at 100mph because of the horrible aerodynamics. I find the wind protection of the 1100/1150 and 1200RT to all have much better wind protection by far. My 1200RT had much better range than my ST1300 due to much better fuel economy. My 1200RT was easily on par with the ST for acceleration. My 1150RT and my 1200RT both have much nicer 6 speed trannies. The comfort of the RT is superior but thats a personal preference. Either RT has much better luggage IMO. The dash cant be read during the day, the bike puked heat, and had very poor ground clearance. Any RT will outhandle the ST. My ST1300 ironically leaked oil at the final drive, and it had some driveability issues that were unable to be fixed by Honda. The ST guys refer to it as the lean surge, where anything above 2000ft in elevation the bike surged and bucked. Unsafe feeling and annoyong. So, i dont have alot of fond memories of my ST

Strange. The only area in your list I can agree to is the dash illumination; in sunlite the rider information data (odo, clock, temp) are unreadable. Apart from that we're talking about different bikes. Mine has never gone below 3000 ft elevation (Tuscon, Az) and runs well at 7000 (my old haunt, Ramah, NM). As for stability at speed, perhaps it's a tire thing; my 06 ST with Dunlop Road Smarts is stable at 130 mph (on the very legible speedo at 6000 ft elevation). The only complaint I have is front fork stiction on stutter bumps; here telelever rules. All else is equal or superior. You say, different strokes: I'm thinking different bikes.

Wooster w/both

There are reports of high speed "weave" on some ST13s, "high speed" being well above 100 mph. There seems to be no reason or cure, but I never experienced it and almost never went that fast anyway.

Like politics, everyone has an opinion. Different strokes for different folks. Ride what you like, like what you ride. Etc.

pete

The OP's comparison generally parallels my experiences from another era, when I traded my ST1100 ABS-TCS for an R1100RT. The ST had, in my experience, a clear advantage in power delivery and at least a slight advantage in overall quality of construction, but the RT was the winner in pretty much every other category, most notably, handling.

I've still on a BMW, but Honda makes some high-quality machines.

Johnny Jetson

RE High-spd weave/instability at high speed:

Review the archives at ST-Owners.com and you'll see a lot of references to this problem associated with certain tires that were more commonly used during early production years of the ST13 (Avons were probably the worst). Better tires seem to solve this. I'm on Pilot IIs, and loaded up for a week of touring with my fat butt, the bike is rock-stable at 110+ (not that I do a lot of miles that way).

Now that the Pilot II B has been accepted for use on the ST, I think you'll see even less of this problem.

I've updated the review that I wrote in response to postings and comments that I have received in reference to my review. I didn't change anything already posted. What I did is add a few comments and another two evaluation categories. The updates are italicized and in red but I don't see them in red on my screen.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

tsp

2010 R1200RT

SW rides and other reviews at: http://swriding.blogspot.com/

Weird - works for me. Are you trying to click on the first post (#1) link or the link in the post above your post?

I'm trying to edit the first post and I can't get into it right now. Try the link in the post above your posting.

tsp

Your page isn't working for me. I click on the link and it just reopens the main page.

My ST13 is the most comfortable bike that I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Rode it coast-to-coast in 5 and half days last summer. I even like the stock seat, but I'm fairly light. It's a bike to ride when you want to focus on the ride and not the bike.

rode my 07 RT with my buddies 06 ST back to back weekend before last. The ST is a sweet ride. pretty much agree with everything said here - ST has a slight edge on power and RT has slight edge in handling and gadgetry. Otherwise very similar.

The RT sits and rides a little bigger and bars seem wider. Thought the stock wind management on the ST a little better than stock on RT. My Rick Mayer hands down more comfy than the ST's Corbin which is too hard. The Honda motor kept my legs warmish, felt good in March but probably not in July.

Thought the stock wind management on the ST a little better than stock on RT.

Wow... consider yourself the first on the planet to make that statement. My ST1300 was ok in that department, but compared to the library quiet and turbulence free aspect of the RT, it was like riding an unfaired bike. Most of those that I know who have ridden both would say the opposite. Not that your opinion isn't legitimate or right for you, I just have never heard anyone say that before.

Thought the stock wind management on the ST a little better than stock on RT.

Wow... consider yourself the first on the planet to make that statement. My ST1300 was ok in that department, but compared to the library quiet and turbulence free aspect of the RT, it was like riding an unfaired bike. Most of those that I know who have ridden both would say the opposite. Not that your opinion isn't legitimate or right for you, I just have never heard anyone say that before.

Well I didn't get on the interstate with ST, probably only up to mid 60's so can't speak for higher speeds. But up to mid 60's totally quiet

RT is good, but there's never a totally quiet place for me. My saddle is tall and I'm 6'2", maybe a slightly taller shield would do it. Maybe it's my helmet. who knows? The RT is still so good I really can't complain, I just thought the ST was a tad better.

Archived