IGNORED

2000 R1100RT-P turn signal issues

Valentine

Hello all,

I normally like to warm up to a forum before asking for help, but I am at a loss on my problem and need help. Sorry the first post is a cry for help. (sign of weakness I know)

I have a 2000 retired police R1100RT. No hack job on the "demilitarization" just the external lighting and radio removed. The problem came on suddenly and I have been looking for the ghosts without luck.

Problem is as follows:

1. Right rear turn signal not working (bulbs changed with known working ones). Fast flash as indicating missing bulb to rear.

2. Left Front and rear signals working, but rear running light/license plate light and right front signal also blinks at same rate as turn signal? Crossed wire?

3. When the headlights are on the left front and rear turn signals come on brightly such as when indicating a turn but with steady burn. They have a weak flash when indicator is pressed.

I have chased the faulty grounds and such and I am now pulling out much of the wiring left over from the emergency equipment such as the strobe head unit and wires. Putting in the dual seat conversion, but am at a loss for this electrical issue.

Anyone had a similar problem and could point me in the right direction. I did and search but didn't see this listed. Sorry if this has been gone over, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete

Evening Pete

You definitely have a lot going on there. To really do your problem justice I would need to be hands on the bike with a voltammeter and test light.

Lets see if we can at least get you started then with some feedback from you maybe we can help you solve the issue..

1-- Right rear turn signal not working (bulbs changed with known working ones). Fast flash as indicating missing bulb to rear. -----

This could indicate a poor bulb ground or a break in the circuit going to the bulb. You need to activate that side then measure the voltage on the bulb power side and then on the ground side. If the ground side has power then you have a faulty ground connection.

2-- Left Front and rear signals working, but rear running light/license plate light and right front signal also blinks at same rate as turn signal? Crossed wire?-----

This again indicates a possible bad or high resistance ground. Sounds like maybe cross talk through a common grounding. Again, measure the voltage in the low or ground side of the circuit with it operational.

3--When the headlights are on the left front and rear turn signals come on brightly such as when indicating a turn but with steady burn. They have a weak flash when indicator is pressed.-----Both problems could be indicative of a bad, broken, or high resistance ground. Again use your voltmeter or on the ground side to see if it is has voltage. Another possibility on this is bulb on that side of the system with the filaments touching together therefore causing circuit cross talk.

Archived