IGNORED

Torque Wrench Recommendations?

DFWBo

Hi,

I'm tired of crappy PepBoys torque wrenches....any recommendations? Not looking to spend 3 figures.....just want something accurate and consistent that will last more than a year.

Thanks

Bo

This is sort of like an Oil Thread.

For "good enough" performance at an affordable price, it's hard to beat Craftsman. If price is no object, Snap-On.

+1 for Craftsman. But buy at least two, maybe three so you can cover all the range you'll need to torque.

I've seen the new electronic ones and the mechanic said he could do all torques with one wrench.

Anyone have an electronic one and know for sure you can safely use it for all torques?

Digital electronics. Or electronic digital.

Craftsman. Digital or otherwise, they calibrate them. Using some meter or something I suppose. I don't know who does it or where.

Sears used to offer a calibration or resetting on their torque wrenches. You had to send it in to their calibration center in Illinois or somewhere.

I don't know if they still do that.

I do know that they get old, and rusty, and don't work right. Become inaccurate.

The Craftsman will certainly last more than one year.

dc

My only problem with electronic torque wrenches is finding an affordable brand which start at very low settings. For example, the tappet cover bolts for an R1150RT should be torqued at 7Nm and most electronic wrenches start at 10Nm.

For that reason, I have several types and use them all. I also don't like deflection beam wrenches for really heavy duty wrenching, I prefer the clicker or electronic types. I also get my wrenches calibrated about every two years.

Given the really wide range of torque figures required to fully wrench a BMW, I'm not sure that you can do it with just one type.

Linz :)

Paul Mihalka

Between being old times and loving simplicity, I still prefer the old beam type, the one with a long needle pointing to a scale. No chance of setting it wrong and way over or under torqueing something. It has happened... (not to me :) )

You could keep an eye in Ebay for snap-ons, and pick up the desired torque ranges for about the same as a new Craftsman. Have it calibrated and you should be good to go. Calibration labs are more common than you would think. A call to a general aviation mechanic or new car dealer should get you in the right direction to one nearby, or a google search. Just for argument, basic guidelines says you shouldn't use a torque wrench (clicker or electronic) within 10% of its max top or bottom range. Another good reason you should have at least two. The beam style/dial type is the most consistent and can be used on the widest of torque ranges, but require more attention and work on the mechanics part.

This is sort of like an Oil Thread.

For "good enough" performance at an affordable price, it's hard to beat Craftsman. If price is no object, Snap-On.

:thumbsup:

Archived