IGNORED

Higat h beam ground wire

OlGeezer

It's my turn!

I've got a new bulb and socket. I've been told there are solutions abound, but the search feature has failed me. I would like to be able to change the bulb on the road, although this isn't life and death since it's the high beam. It would be nice if I didn't have to take off the nose to perform this operation, but that means I would have to find a ground spot aft of the black cover. I could install an electrical plug in the cover, run a wire from the bulb to the cover then a wire from the cover to a ground spot. Am I overthinking this?

What is the best way to do this?

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thank you,

jrcarpenter

I drilled a hole in the plastic cover, ran the new ground wire through a rubber gromment with a little silicone sealer, and looped a little extra wire inside. If I need to get to the bulb it lets you have enough slack to get the cover out of the way.

Jr.

I drilled a hole in the plastic cover, ran the new ground wire through a rubber gromment with a little silicone sealer, and looped a little extra wire inside. If I need to get to the bulb it lets you have enough slack to get the cover out of the way.

Jr.

I like that solution. It's simpler than my idea and has less tendency to fail.

:thumbsup:

What gage wire did you use?

Where did you run your lead at the bulb/socket?

jrcarpenter

It's been a while since I did it. I just used what I could find laying around at the time. I believe the wire was 12 - 14 gauge(plenty big).

As for the bulb connection, I used a double ground terminal off from a 1970 VW bug. It looks like a squared U with two male terminals. I don't remember exactly how it all went together, but I think you have to grind the original spring strap that holds the bulb tight in the holder so that the new terminal fits onto it. (like a normal male/female connection) Then the new ground wire with a female terminal slides on to the other end of the double terminal to the new ground location. It is a tight fit trying to get all of the wires through the small slot with the bulb lead. As I think about it, the reason for the double terninal is that you can't solder to the spring strap, and I might not have soldered a female terminal to the new ground wire, but soldered the wire directle to the double terminal in order to save space. Sorry that this is so vague, but I did it over a year agoe.

If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Archived