IGNORED

Call me callous, but what opportunities do you see in the Japanese crisis?

Twisties

John Ranalletta

I'd suggest you think about minimizing the down side of this event rather than taking advantage.

Start by reading Chris Martenson's alert to his subscribers.

If you think he's "out there", just try to buy Japanese yen with US$ today.

BOJ_1_0.jpg

Japan, long an exporter of financing to the world is now a consumer. How many UST do you think the BOJ will buy in the next auction? If they don't buy, who will? The massive loss of life and human tragedy is only a harbinger of the global shit storm to come. Building nuclear power plants, like growing deficit spending is just another way of pushing our problems onto future generations; for, they'll all fail in one way or another.

..and, just for grins, if you don't agree with the thought in my sig line, just try to get a straight answer from the EPA about radiation levels on our own west coast.

I'd suggest you think about minimizing the down side of this event rather than taking advantage.

BOJ_1_0.jpg

Japan, long an exporter of financing to the world is now a consumer. How many UST do you think the BOJ will buy in the next auction? If they don't buy, who will? The massive loss of life and human tragedy is only a harbinger of the global shit storm to come. Building nuclear power plants, like growing deficit spending is just another way of pushing our problems onto future generations; for, they'll all fail in one way or another.

..and, just for grins, if you don't agree with the thought in my sig line, just try to get a straight answer from the EPA about radiation levels on our own west coast.

That's some serious optimism there, that is. :eek:

Yeah, I'll check out the link. I agree with what you've said.

Never the less, I maintain that he who sees opportunity in this has a chance to make out big, or lose big. I am least thinking about looking.

BOJ_1_0.jpg

Ok, I read Mr. Martenson. If you look at the explosion thread you'll see that I posted that we stocked up on water jugs on Saturday, and if you read my post today, you'll see that I agree that there is already a global effect on the economy, regardless of the end state severity of the problem, which I agree remains unknown. In fact I agree with a lot of what he says, and yet, I read his assessment as too panicky. In any event, I don't see much reason to pull my cash from the bank, if things go that far south that money won't be worth much anyway.

I don't know, but that just seems to sit way too far down for me right now. Although if you ask me tomorrow I might change my mind. I get his point of a rapid and unpredictable cascade, but I guess I don't think it will lead to ultimate collapse. Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful post. Zerohedge is starting to attract some interesting intellectual firepower. I may need to start looking at the site.

Buy up existing inventory of a Japanese made product. Sell products at a profit and markup when demand exceeds supplies.

Buy up existing inventory of a Japanese made product. Sell products at a profit and markup when demand exceeds supplies.

Thank you, you have a point.

I know it seems calleous but

timber product stocks and Potash stocks should be on the upside.

On a related subject:

I think Yoko Ono, I believe on Pierce Morgan (CNN), had a very clear view of the Japanese future and impressed me with her infectious optimism. She basically said that this is an opportunity for the Japanese to modernise towns, villages and cities with their corresponding infrastructure.

To be sure she was emotional about the disaster, but contrary to my previous (unfounded) prejudice, she was anything but ditzy, she was downright Statesmanlike and inpirational.

I hope the Japanes will get to see that interview.

If you are in the market for a popular Japanese car, you should have bought it last week. Motorcycles.......not so much.

markgoodrich

I disagree with Whip, I see you more as a really big hammertoe. But to answer your question, in the short term I think the Japanese economy is going to spiral downward, taking a lot of the world economy with it, but in the longer term, over the next few yeasrs, this horrible catastrophe (the earthquake/tsunami...the nuclear issue may be much less economically disastrous) may very well be what pulls Japan out of its 20-year economic funk. The magnitude of the reconstruction costs can't really be comprehended...those costs will (mostly) stay within the Japanese economy. Or so I think. I also think it's foolish for an individual to try to figure out how to profit from this disaster.

On a related note, the situation in the Middle East could make the Japan reconstruction economics moot.

You bought extra WATER? Huh?

I disagree with Whip, I see you more as a really big hammertoe.

That is simply the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. Why thank you Mark!

Now, what's this "Middle East" thing you speak of?

Stocks to watch, buy? Other opportunities?

Who are you? Where's Jan..?

You're far too entrepreneurial thinking to be the "poster formerly known as Twisties."

:rofl:

You're far too entrepreneurial thinking to be the "poster formerly known as Twisties."

As I recall, I am now either a bunion or a hammertoe. Take your pick. :)

No way he's entrepreneurial. Sheesh. :P

I know it seems calleous but

timber product stocks and Potash stocks should be on the upside.

And, I'm sorry to say; Alberta oil.

The US companies that are involved in construction will benefit.. i.e. CATERPILLAR.

Yes, the Japanses, Chinese have construction equipment.. Kubota, etc.. but I heard an "expert" on CNBC (take that for whatever you want) suggest Caterpillar will benefit from this.

Yeah, that 40' seawall along 700 miles of coastline will be quite a project. I keed, I keed........At least I hope I keed!

i think that the japanese should declare war on the u.s. and then surrender right away , that way we will pay for all the reconstruction

John Ranalletta

Expert? CNBC? Ok, I get the joke.

Don't forget about KOMATSU "We will bury Caterpillar"

I'd look at Cummins for diesel engines for pumping and generation units. Cummins has a mid-range plant in China.

Archived