IGNORED

Bash Plate on RT?

LPOL

lawnchairboy

I was hoping to see a picture of an RT, with knobbies, table topping over some large dirt hill somewhere..... :)

Why are you thinking about it?

Was 'down under' exploring the similarities to my GS and noticed that the ENGINE seems quite exposed. Don't plan on riding the RT SERIOUSLY OFF ROAD...but there might be occasions (road repair, detours etc.) where I have no choice but 'hit the gravel' for a few miles.

So...it looks like there are the same 4 mounting holes for a nice bash plate like my GS. The more protection the better unless anybody knows of a really good reason NOT to do this. That is, ground clearance or cooling minimized by plate...OR...???

Let me know what you think! :clap:

Why are you thinking about it?

Was 'down under' exploring the similarities to my GS and noticed that the ENGINE seems quite exposed. Don't plan on riding the RT SERIOUSLY OFF ROAD...but there might be occasions (road repair, detours etc.) where I have no choice but 'hit the gravel' for a few miles.

So...it looks like there are the same 4 mounting holes for a nice bash plate like my GS. The more protection the better unless anybody knows of a really good reason NOT to do this. That is, ground clearance or cooling minimized by plate...OR...???

Let me know what you think! :clap:

What do I think? Don't bother...and ride carefully during that .001% of the time you'll be in a position to even potentially damage the sump. As Confucius says "Just because something fits doesn't mean it needs to be fitted!" :Cool:

Don_Eilenberger
What do I think? Don't bother...and ride carefully during that .001% of the time you'll be in a position to even potentially damage the sump. As Confucius says "Just because something fits doesn't mean it needs to be fitted!" :Cool:
I think bother. The reason I have one is - I was riding down a regular two-lane country road. Headed into a nice S curve I usually had some fun in. Just at the entry of the curve I heard a "Spronk!".. and felt the bike jerk a bit. At this point I was already committed to the curve.

Then things started getting REAL interesting. At first it felt like a rear flat, only it got worse. Somehow I managed to get the bike around the S curve and off on the shoulder. My right foot immediately got wet from the oil squirting out of the oil filter. After shutdown I was sorta stuck there since the slope of the road didn't let me put the sidestand down, and also precluded jumping off and keeping the bike upright. Plus I'd have to pull my puckered butt off the seat. A good samaritan (who happened to be a Honda rider) who lived across the street crossed over to help me get off the bike, and get the bike off the road.

A metal rod had been tossed up by the front tire, wedged between the filter and the sump, and then levered right through the side of the filter when the end of the rod hit the road. That was "Spronk".. and the jerk.

Having lived through it - I decided to make certain this could never happen again.

So - yeah, I would (and did) put a GS bash plate on my R12R..

Don_Eilenberger
I added one on my '07 R1200R - of course it's not covered in plastic like the RT..

Got a pic? :)

Sure..

IMG_0637.jpg

Although the pic was taken for a different reason - seat high comparos..

• 2 weeks later...

I've contemplated the same !! Sometimes I forget it's a RT not a GS ooppss !! Found these really nice emailed Ernie my RT as the same bolt pattern underneath as a GS !! Check him out

Archived