IGNORED

Need help

K9_RN

Hi everyone,

I need your help to push me. I can get a 2010 R1200RT low suspension with 2037 miles, no radio, heated grips computer...you know the basic stuff. $16250.00. Good deal? Have to let them know soon. As usual, thanks in advance.

It sounds good.

I would say do it, if ...

I had short legs (I don't)

If there is a reason for selling it after 2037 miles; if there is warranty; if it has not been wrecked; if there were no issues with it; and, if it felt like a legitimate sale with good information and nothing suspicious about the story of it; and, if it rode good, after a good full day try out.

dc

+1 what David 13 said.

I'd really like to know why the guy's selling at 2037 miles. Is there a judgement/lien on the bike? Has the guy got any dealer paperwork from servicing?

If the guy's bike rich but cash poor I'd haggle and pull the trigger. Good luck.

Thanks guys. The bike is at Max BMW NH. They say it was a BMW exec's bike....they first told me they wanted $18,500.00 for it. It is on their web site for $17,900.00, I think. So, I feel like it is worth $16250.00. I do have very short legs. Can just touch the ground even with low suspension. I have ridden dirt bikes (I realize it's not the same, weight and all)and been on the road on a big fat Harley for 25 years so, I think (read "hope")I can do it. Wish me luck! Thanks again, Kelly

I bought a 2007 RT exec bike from Max in 2008. Mileage was about the same as yours. I was skeptical that it wasn't just a demo bike but my local dealer confirmed that it was the real deal. Don't be afraid to make a lower offer and/or add some accessories, those guys at Max love to dicker. But even at $16K it looks like a good deal on a well cared for bike.

Max rocks :) You can try giving him hang dog eyes and explain you want to ride the Minuteman 1000 on a real bike and everyone has told you what a great guy he is and is there any way he can get you closer to 15500 or maybe toss in the 6000 mile service or some farkles to make your first LD rally go well (tank bag, etc). Do it with humor so you're not insulting him by going real low and take it even if all he does is throw in an oil change.

That's less than what I paid for my 2005, sounds pretty good to me. Was that their offer to you or yours to them? If they tossed up that number, i'd shoot a bit lower. Can't hurt to try.

If you get the bike you can't come back without pics! Not my rule, site policy! :grin:

Pat

Hi all,

We went back and forth on the numbers. I went ahead and said yes to $16250.00. I think it is a fair price. The hardest part was deciding if I wanted to buy the factory lowered bike or a regular suspension model and have it modified. After reading everything I could find on the issue and talking to service managers at 3 dealerships and getting conflicting advise from all directions, I decided that BMW must put some effort into making the suspension perform as intended (1 for factory). Of the service managers 2 said it was not a good idea to lower a standard suspension because it would adversely effect handling (2 for factory). One said 'no problem, thats how BMW does it' (1 for aftermarket). I have read many opinions of the stock BMW shocks, not many have been favorable (2 for aftermarket). The cost of the bike, shocks, modifying side stand and center stand (3 for factory). And so on... No more sleepless nights trying to decide. Now just sleepless nights waiting for them to deliver my new baby. :grin: Should be here next Thursday. I have a spot in the garage all cleared out. It will fit between the tractor and the Harleys, they are going to have to share a room with the new guy! Just need to get the afternoon off from work now. :/ Thanks again for all the great advise, Kelly

ps. There are pics on MAX BMW website if you care to look. I'll try to post some pics after delivery, if I can figure that out, I'm new to this forum thing!

bayoubengal

I agree with these guys. You don't ask you don't get...

I just bought a waterfront lot on the bayou in LA. Asking was $59000. I was strategizing for $45-50. Offered $38K. Accepted.

If he will take $16250 before your offer, he will either take your offer, counter, or still take $16250. Individuals at times may get offended but dealers rarely so.

Beemer_Nancy

Congrats. Bought my '09 used in "09 with just 249 miles on it. Apparently just wasn't the right bike for the first owner. I can't imagine.

Hi Kelly! Sounds like you made the right choice. I lowered my standard RT one inch a couple of years ago, I can't tell that it adversely affected the handling other than the front suspension sometimes feels a little harsh on abrupt bumps, apparently due to the decreased travel. You probably saved $500 on stand modifications by buying factory lowered. I figure if you ride the bike, you will replace the shocks in 20K-30K miles so that's sort of a wash.

If you find that after you adjust the suspension you are still on your toes, or if you can't get the sag right, you can always add a little weight to the saddle bags (DAMHIK) dumb bells worked for me.

If you find you have trouble getting the bike off the side stand on your toes with a full tank of fuel, remember that you have a 7 gallon tank, so you don't have to fill it up completely and can still have a pretty good range.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new bike!

fourteenfour

I had a lowered suspension 09 RT. Compared to riding the regular RT you feel as if you sit more "in" the bike that "on" it. As such it was a lot of fun in the twisties, more than I thought it would be.

With a few pieces you can mount regular seats to the bike and give yourself more leg room if you desire it.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to share ideas and experiences.

Bullett, thanks for the tips, one short girl to another. As for the dumb bell tip, I'm sure I have enough weight built into me to make the bike 'sag' plenty! Is the picture in your avatar pre or post lowering the bike? That's about how I am on the low suspension version.

after a good full day try out

Before I'd let some unknown leave with my bike for a test like that, he'd be leaving a suitcase full of cash. Even the dealers have a limit on what they allow for a test.

K9RN, Give the 800's look if size is a concern. Rather than fight a monster, you have a manageable fun ride. And for less money.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to share ideas and experiences.

Bullett, thanks for the tips, one short girl to another. As for the dumb bell tip, I'm sure I have enough weight built into me to make the bike 'sag' plenty! Is the picture in your avatar pre or post lowering the bike? That's about how I am on the low suspension version.

That was before she lowered it.

Archived