IGNORED

Two cables to handlebar: which one is main throttle cable?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

'09 R1200RT. Two cables up to throttle grip, one of them is the main cable that opens the throttle bodies when you roll on throttle; the other one is apparently used to disengage the cruise control when you roll OFF the throttle.

Would like to carry a spare main cable. Do not want to bother carrying (or paying for) a spare cruise-interrupt cable.

Looking at Max BMW Motorcycles online catalog, I can't tell which is which. See picture below: do I want to buy #2, or #1?

5489.gif.1a8675c96256a3946a6ab974eaad5f82.gif

It’s definitely cable #1. Cable #2 that goes to the center hole in the Bowden box (have to look close on the diagram to see) is for the cruise rotate the pulley pull.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Ken/NewBlue, thanks a bunch. $65 (for the cruise cable) buys a lot of cheeseburgers. :grin:

I like to carry spares too. And I carry a throttle and clutch cable on my KLR.

However, has anyone experienced a throttle cable failure on an RT.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I like to carry spares too. And I carry a throttle and clutch cable on my KLR.

However, has anyone experienced a throttle cable failure on an RT.

I've seen badly frayed main throttle cables on 1100RT's. Don't recall whether it was on my own or someone else's, but in any event, it was something that could easily have broken while on a trip.

Haven't had my 1200 long enough yet, only 13K miles. Don't want to find out the hard way.

CoarsegoldKid

70K miles no breaky. If I was concerned I would ask a few service managers on what one breaks. I can say that my throttle feels as smooth and easy as the day I drove it off the lot. I have ridden a 1100S that felt like I was lifting thirty pounds when I turned the throttle. Maybe the 1200 models are made differently.

I think Ron B was down to a wire on his RT years ago. FWIW I have never even come close with 160,000 on a bike. Now when it comes to rear ends and drive shafts, well........

My R1200RT certainly seems easy on cables- nice light throttle especially when compared to some older BMWs that are especially obnoxious - to the point I'd never own one because I have no interest in wrestling a stiff throttle all day.

Before anyone gets too enthusiastic about carrying a spare cable for an RT, I'd suggest taking a good look at what you will have to do replace one. Some will opt not to do this job, especially roadside, and might end up carrying the cable just to hand it to a shop mechanic...

I generally carry spares for stuff that's a known problem and could do this job on the road- but I'm not carrying a spare cable (my 08 isn't going to need one any time soon). The fpc jumper, etc is another matter..

I think Mitch's fear of cable failures are not related to design faults but the effects of internal friction (i.e. user error). :wave:

Archived