IGNORED

Google voice

taters

Anyone here have google voice? I'd like a brief rundown on how it works ..pros. Cons etc. Gonna move in a few months and wondering how I can get away with no home phone Thanks

I have it. It's fine. Like all VOIP services I've tried, service is spotty.

I've found it works particularly well when I'm making and receiving calls from my computer. Most of the time it works well when I'm receiving calls on my mobile. However, making outbound calls from my mobile using the Google Voice app for Android generally produced such poor results that I had to stop using it.

Love the voicemail transcription. Love being able to get my voicemail anywhere. Wish it had better call and message handling rules. (I keep my business services with RingCentral, who I pay, but from whom the service and options are generally better.)

Anyone here have google voice? I'd like a brief rundown on how it works ..pros. Cons etc. Gonna move in a few months and wondering how I can get away with no home phone Thanks
I have it with my Android (Google Nexus One) phone and it works fine with both in & outbound calls. I'm on AT&T (the phone is unlocked) & am in CT but travel all over the country. For home we use a Vonage VOIP phone box. It hooks to the broadband modem & I use my old 5.4ghz wireless phones with it - no one has noticed a difference vs. the old landline. Price is less than local calling only on the old AT&T landline & I have unlimited nationwide LD too. We can also unplug it & bring it with us when we go on vacation and plug it in anywhere there's internet so calls to my home # come to the boat or the vacation house. Cool technology :-)

I started using Google Voice about a month ago. It's a great service and has worked fine for me. The best part is I don't have give out my home or cell number anymore to anyone, and from the Google Voice inbox I can block callers permanently - most useful for unsolicited sales calls.

Have had it for 2+ years. Mostly use it with a Google Voice app on my Blackberry. Quality is as good as standard Verizon call quality (good in my part of the world). Don't use it much on the computer but it's similar to my Skype account when I have called from my computer.

I do like that it integrates well with my Gmail account. Transcription to text leaves a bit to be desired (I sometimes find the text transcription humorous) but its usable.

And I also like that you can 'block' a caller and it's all managed from Gmail/Voice

Mike O

Archived